Estes S1B Grounded due to fin attachment concerns

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Foster

Reaction score
I have recently completed building the fabulous Estes 1:100 S1B kit. I followed the youtube video by master builder James Duffy (rocket.aero) who is a tremendously valuable resource. His approach differs from the kit instructions significantly. In particular, all parts are painted prior to assembly which results in beautiful detail for display purposes.

The last step is the plastic fin attachment. This is done with plastic cement applied to a small tab at the top of the fin. Cement is also applied to the back of the fin which attaches to the already painted shroud. Upon inspection, one of the fins had detached from that back bond but was still attached by the tab. Further inspection found a couple other fins had loosened and while testing each one gently one completely fell off (tab bond failed as well). Suddenly this started looking like the Space Shuttle when the tiles were falling off at night in the hanger!

This led to a series of disastrous rework attempts. First I put a fillet of Tamiya extra thin cement along the back seam. This adversely reacted with the paint (the entire rocket is painted with Tamiya spray paint (for plastics). Next I tried a fillet with Zap a Gap CA glue. This had even a worse reaction with the paint. That resulted some black paint completely coming off. So I masked off the rocket and sprayed the small section where the paint had come off. Unfortunately I placed some of the masking tape over the decals and in the removal I destroyed one of the large United States decals and 2 of the SA-206 decals. This was an all time low for the project. I have no confidence that even the attached fins would survive lift off let alone a landing. This resulted in the grounding of the S1B and all launch schedules suspended.

Current recovery plan is as follows. I will attempt to remove the damaged decals-I see that using the micro set solution has been successful. I was able to locate replacement decals on eBay and those have been ordered (not a guarantee these are correct but they look correct). The fin that completely fell off was reattached using the same liquid cement on the tab but with a bit more glue. An experiment was performed over night where I used Gorilla dry clear wood glue as a fillet along the fin joint. This glue does not react with the paint. It appears to work on one fin and that method has been just applied to all 8 fins. It dries clear but you can see a haze on the black paint if you look closely. Will do some light stress testing on these.

So all of this leads me to some observations and questions:
1. There could be a difference between a "display build" and a "launch build". Kit instructions is gluing unpainted surfaces-but there is no way you get the beautiful paint detail if you painted after this model was built.
2. Don't ever use liquid cement on painted surfaces!
3. Don't ever put masking tape on a decal! (unless you have sealed the rocket with clear coat-which I have not tried yet and is another topic!)
4. Is there a reliable method of attaching fins to a pained tube?
5. The fins on this model, even when attached, appear extremely delicate. I can't believe they would survive a landing. Does anyone have experience with these fins structural integrity? Assuming a few break, are there exact replacements?

Always scrape away paint when gluing anything, no matter what material or adhesive.
Scrape the paint, attach part, then touch -up .
Unfortunate, BUT, since it's no longer a museum piece, it's perfect for FLYING!

Always scrape away paint when gluing anything, no matter what material or adhesive.
Scrape the paint, attach part, then touch -up .
Unfortunate, BUT, since it's no longer a museum piece, it's perfect for FLYING!
thanks man--yes this model is definitely going to the launch pad!
I have been looking for a touch up paint to match the Tamiya spray paint but have not found it.

Say you are modelling the Alabama rest stop rocket, apply a bit more weathering, and let it be. ;-)

Unless the plastic was really weird, or it was polystyrene with tight fits, I would have been thinking epoxy. However, if it's ABS, you can also stick loose fits together by grinding a bit up, mixing with MEK, and use it as a structural filler. We used to do that with prototype print cartridges that we were modifying at a job I had years ago. Not OSHA approved, we did it at our desks. Suggest working outside.

BTW, I've heard that one way to mask delicate surfaces is with tissue paper and rubber cement. My memory is vague, but I think I've even done this once or twice.

BTW, I've heard that one way to mask delicate surfaces is with tissue paper and rubber cement. My memory is vague, but I think I've even done this once or twice.
The S1B structure is very complex as is the paint pattern-The fins and shroud really have to painted prior to assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_4309.jpeg
    IMG_4309.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I have recently completed building the fabulous Estes 1:100 S1B kit. I followed the youtube video by master builder James Duffy (rocket.aero) who is a tremendously valuable resource. His approach differs from the kit instructions significantly. In particular, all parts are painted prior to assembly which results in beautiful detail for display purposes.

The last step is the plastic fin attachment. This is done with plastic cement applied to a small tab at the top of the fin. Cement is also applied to the back of the fin which attaches to the already painted shroud. Upon inspection, one of the fins had detached from that back bond but was still attached by the tab. Further inspection found a couple other fins had loosened and while testing each one gently one completely fell off (tab bond failed as well). Suddenly this started looking like the Space Shuttle when the tiles were falling off at night in the hanger!

This led to a series of disastrous rework attempts. First I put a fillet of Tamiya extra thin cement along the back seam. This adversely reacted with the paint (the entire rocket is painted with Tamiya spray paint (for plastics). Next I tried a fillet with Zap a Gap CA glue. This had even a worse reaction with the paint. That resulted some black paint completely coming off. So I masked off the rocket and sprayed the small section where the paint had come off. Unfortunately I placed some of the masking tape over the decals and in the removal I destroyed one of the large United States decals and 2 of the SA-206 decals. This was an all time low for the project. I have no confidence that even the attached fins would survive lift off let alone a landing. This resulted in the grounding of the S1B and all launch schedules suspended.

Current recovery plan is as follows. I will attempt to remove the damaged decals-I see that using the micro set solution has been successful. I was able to locate replacement decals on eBay and those have been ordered (not a guarantee these are correct but they look correct). The fin that completely fell off was reattached using the same liquid cement on the tab but with a bit more glue. An experiment was performed over night where I used Gorilla dry clear wood glue as a fillet along the fin joint. This glue does not react with the paint. It appears to work on one fin and that method has been just applied to all 8 fins. It dries clear but you can see a haze on the black paint if you look closely. Will do some light stress testing on these.

So all of this leads me to some observations and questions:
1. There could be a difference between a "display build" and a "launch build". Kit instructions is gluing unpainted surfaces-but there is no way you get the beautiful paint detail if you painted after this model was built.
2. Don't ever use liquid cement on painted surfaces!
3. Don't ever put masking tape on a decal! (unless you have sealed the rocket with clear coat-which I have not tried yet and is another topic!)
4. Is there a reliable method of attaching fins to a pained tube?
5. The fins on this model, even when attached, appear extremely delicate. I can't believe they would survive a landing. Does anyone have experience with these fins structural integrity? Assuming a few break, are there exact replacements?
I had a similar experience with my Saturn 1b. After allowing the platistrut glue to cure, about 1/2 of the fins were loose in some way. I used more glue and fixed the problem. This adhesive is to be used sparingly, but enough to get the job done. I have yet to launch the ship. May lady luck smile on both of us.

I had a similar experience with my Saturn 1b. After allowing the platistrut glue to cure, about 1/2 of the fins were loose in some way. I used more glue and fixed the problem. This adhesive is to be used sparingly, but enough to get the job done. I have yet to launch the ship. May lady luck smile on both of us.
I have that Plastruct but have been afraid to use it! Concerned that it will eat into the plastic-need to play around with that on some practice material. In the continuing saga, yesterday I accidentally knocked the model off the bench and it fell to the wood floor; 2 fins got knocked off along with 2 antenna panels. This time I sanded the shroud and changed glues (4th different glue!) to J-B Weld 5 min epoxy; it is holding so far. Also used it on the antenna panels; l think this is my favorite glue now. Yes good luck on your launch-let me know how it goes. My plan is to launch with a D12-3 later this month as a first test.

I've flown mine a few times and while it's common to have a fin come off completely or get loose, I haven't broken one yet (which is more than I can say for the brittle resin fins on my Apogee 1/70th Saturn V.)

I've flown mine a couple times, and yes the fins occasionally get loose. It occurs to me that this model would be a great candidate for a fully 3d-printed fin can, with the fins included in the shroud. Has anyone looked for a 3d model of this part? Or is anyone up to the task?

I love Boyce products, but their 1b is slightly different size than the Estes one. It uses bt-19 tubes for the lower section, and I think the upper size is different, too.
It's worth noting that theirs is probably more accurate for the scale. The bt-20 tubes that estes uses are ever so slightly too large. But it's hardly noticeable when you compare the boyce Saturn 1 and the Estes 1b side by side.

Latest posts

Back