Estes PSII Nike Smoke Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kemker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I know, I know, it's technically an MPR, not an HPR. HOWEVER, as I'm building it, I should be able to fly it with H motors, at the very least, so nyah!

Starting out with the fin vac bagging and the airframe glass wrap:

FinVacBagging.jpeg

Used a Zwilling vacuum sealer bag (9"x12" size) and Duco Plastic Cement to put them together. The vac bagging was to clamp the pieces while the cement was setting.
GlassWrap.jpeg

Approximately 4oz. of U.S. Composites' thin epoxy with the Medium hardener @3:1 mix ratio. Soller Composites' Light Fiberglass Sleeve (white) and their heat-shrink wrap. The blue shop towel is to soak up excess resin from the one small pinhole that developed when applying the heat gun to the wrap. I cleaned up the spilt epoxy using 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. Later this afternoon, I'll peel the wrap off and cut out the fin slots and trim the ends. I used a 2" sponge brush to apply the epoxy over the 'glass.

Peeled it and cut the slots/trimmed the ends while the 'glass was in the leather stage. Had a bit of an "oopsie" on the upper end of the airframe. Epoxy pooled at the lowest point there. I've cut out as much as I can with a big hobby knife, but I'm going to have to use a burr grinder or sanding drum on a die grinder to get it to the point where the nosecone can slide in.

Also noticed some "bubbles" where the 'glass isn't flat against the cardboard. My first time using the Soller sleeves. Next time, I'll use a longer dowel and get someone else to help me stretch the sleeve down on the airframe to pull it taut.

Back