Estes D12 Recall

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So lets say you have a Estes D-12-5 CATO in a rocket made by another company. How does estes handle the recompense?
I'm thinking about buying the least expensive, unappealing, Estes rocket I can find which flies on D12s, and flying my stash of motors from the bad lots. If I get a CATO maybe I can get the rocket replaced. Or if I'm lucky, get several flights without incident. Either way I save my favorite rockets, get some launches in, and collect additional failure rate data.

I'm thinking about buying the least expensive, unappealing, Estes rocket I can find which flies on D12s, and flying my stash of motors from the bad lots. If I get a CATO maybe I can get the rocket replaced. Or if I'm lucky, get several flights without incident. Either way I save my favorite rockets, get some launches in, and collect additional failure rate data.
I was thinking of something similar. I have that box of parts I mentioned earlier. Thought I'd slap something strong and heavy together just to sacrifice on D & E12's as necessary. I'll probably call it "The Lamb".

I tried flying an Estes Eliminator on a D12-5 yesterday. Didn't check the date code. (I meant to, but sun, rockets, etc.) Yep, it was one of the cursed motors. The fireball went higher than the rocket did.

But what motors to use until Estes sends replacements? I have two rockets that I do not want to risk.

So, Q-Jet to the rescue! The 18mm D16-XFJ has 12.4 N-S total impulse (compared to 16.8 for the D12, according to thrustcurve.org). The FJ ignites reliably. I used it in my Starship Glider.

For my Bellyflopper, I used the 24mm D22-4W, with 19.3 N-S total impulse. The White Lightning doesn't ignite so easily, so I "enhance" the ignitor.

There is also the Q-Jet 18mm D20 White Lightning, but I have no experience with it.

I have had awful experience with the Q-Jet E26 White Lightning, though.

Last edited:
Welp. I've got a 12 bulk pack of these. I wonder how they are going to handle replacements to Canada?

View attachment 652720
I don't know but Estes has a couple of restrictions for Canadian customers.
1) They can't replace engines directly because of import restrictions at the Border and Hazmat.
2) Estes has agreements with Canadian retailers so that they don't directly sell to Canadian consumers. That rules out gift certificates for merchandise from the Estes website.

That means they will have to work out an agreement with their Canadian retailers to compensate us Canucks with replacement motors OR generate gift certificates that can be only redeemed at a Canadian retailer. Failing that, we are just SOL. :mad: I have only 3 motors in my stock worth about $25-27 CDN (yeah, that price would shock Americans but it is what it is with the currency conversion).

I contacted Estes a couple of days ago saying that they should have all of their Engine Alert Service Bulletins in the same spot. I got a response yesterday afternoon saying they had done that.

https://help.estesrockets.com/hc/en-us/categories/8356832635405-Estes-Rocket-Engines
Good idea. Thank you for prodding them on that.

Interesting that the 13mm recall still doesn't mention the A10-PT, yet Estes replaced the ones I had that shared codes with the other recalled A10s.

Back