Class launch great fun!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
What a hoot!

I am still beat after the trip to Chicago, but this launch was scheduled months ago. I wasn't really up to it...

...that is, until I saw the kids :D

I have two local schools (about an hour away) that have had a FlisKits based rocketry program for years. One (Pollard) was our first ever educational sale in the Spring of our first year of operation. Yesterday's school (Danville) was started by a teacher who moved their from Pollard.

I started the first school with a "Train the trainer" program where I taught the first session (5 classes fo 25 students over the span of a day) with different teachers helping out wiht each class.

After that, they would do the builds with their kids and I would come out a few weeks later to launch them.

Yesterday was 80 kids from 3 classes. ;They had built the Thing-a-ma-Jig kit and had a ball with it (as soon as I get internet access back I will post pix...)

The teachers loved the kit, the kids loved the program and the parents were thrilled with their results (as was I).

80 kids, 80 rockets, 80 launches. It was all good.

We lost 3 to trees and 3 on the roof top. The treed rockets will be easy to get as they are hung on a single branch, low and easily reached. The ones on the roof blew off before the end of the day :)

I had one young girl who, in tears, explained that she didn't want to loose her rocket (pointing to the one in the tree). I assured her that she would be fine and took *extra* care when aiming her launch pad. She did fine and was thrilled with the results of her work :)

We had several handicapped children who did a fantastic job and had perfect launches, much to the delight of their classmates and everyone there. One boy, sporting large headphone/ear muffs to dim the noise kept yelling at everyone for being too noisy. "Don't yell so much! do the count down quietly", he would complain. His aid kept him reassured. Then it was his turn to launch. I'm telling you, this boy has a set of lungs on him! LOL

I also had one small boy who was very jumpy at the launch pad (I had 3 set up, two with Spad-Pads that Bill Spadafora made for me) and one of my old ones made from 2X4's). He had the old pad and wouldn't go near it. I was watching him trying to hook up the clips and he would jump back as though he was getting a shock. I knew the pad was safe and couldn't understand it...

...turns out a mud wasp had taken up residence in the pad and figured, after about 20 launches, that it was time to come out and see what was going on... LOL

ALll in all a great day. I will post pix when I can.

jim

Jim ,
You're a class act myfriend . The work you do for the kids is outstanding and your kindness is unmatched !

Indeed, a class act Jim! Working with kids in model rocketry is a real hoot. I've been doing it for 12 years now, and I never tire from it.

You are indeed a true ambassador for the hobby! Keep up the good work my friend!

Best Regards

Thank you :eek:

When you see things like this at every class I don't know why more and more folks don't get involved with their local schools :)

see attachment. That young boy being hugged by his teacher had just launched his first rocket EVER and it was a special thrill for him, his teacher, his parents and his classmates as well :)

Here's one more pix. I hope to have the photo album up this weekend sometime...

Here are 3 of the 80 kids with their Thing-a-ma-Jig kits on the pad, posing for a pic. These kids had a ball and were bouncing off the walls for the 2 weeks since finishing their kits till launch day :)

As I was walking through the school nearly every teacher and student (regardless of whether or not they were a part of the program) commented "Oh! It must be rocket day!"

Also I was just THRILLED with how many parents took time out of their busy day to come out for the launch. It was great.

jim

Back