Carded Downsize Estes PATRIOT

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
Here's a new downscale -

The Classic Estes PATRIOT #0652

The two page PDF is hosted at Wayne Hill's Rocketry Blog at:
https://rocketry.wordpress.com/ultimate-paper-rocket-guide/paper-rocket-partial-builds/

Scroll down to the bottom for all my downscales.

This one is BT-20 based standing 11 5/8" tall.
The body wrap and three ply fins are printed, no painting is needed except for the BNC-20AH nose cone available from Semroc.

I built mine with a 13mm engine mount and streamer recovery. This morning's first flight was with a 1/2A3-2t engine. 18mm engines and parachute recovery is another option.

An ornate, stable and classic flyer - just smaller.

Patriot 023_WEB.jpg

Patriot 024_WEB.jpg

Launch 11.30.10 2.jpg_WEB.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I used to build quite a few card stock models. Just a hint, keep them out of the heat. The white glue will warp the fins once it gets warm.

The carded downscale Estes Patriot had it's first real flight at our Orlando NAR Section launch.

It got a respectable altitude on a A3-4t. There was just a little too much drift to the edge of the trees on an 18" streamer.

That rocket on the far left is an original Estes Gyroc. It had to be 35 years old. Greg tried two flights but the vanes flipped at ignition. It went horiontal and ejected about 15 feet up. From there it did helicopter down.
He's determined to get it to work, I'm sure he will.

In the early 1970s, my Gyroc did the same thing. The vanes flipped at boost and it spiraled in.

Launch 12.4.10 012_WEB.jpg

That rocket on the far left is an original Estes Gyroc. It had to be 35 years old. Greg tried two flights but the vanes flipped at ignition. It went horiontal and ejected about 15 feet up. From there it did helicopter down.
He's determined to get it to work, I'm sure he will.

In the early 1970s, my Gyroc did the same thing. The vanes flipped at boost and it spiraled in.

I love the Gyroc and fly mine regularly. There may be too much tension in the elastic or rubber bands or the motor Tabs may be slightly worn back. Do a shake test before launch - shake the Gyroc to see if the tabs hold.
gyroc3.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a downscaled version of Eric Truax's Original HFC MIM-104 Patriot that I constructed several years ago. It is 9mm in diameter and 114mm (4.5") long.

Micro HFC Patriot.jpg

Micro Carded Patriot, 2010-09-11 2nd Contact.JPG

DSCF0371.jpg

Last edited:
Back