Baby Bertha Started

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hcmbanjo said:
Hi ScottyDog,
I'm enjoying the build thread, thanks for taking the time to do it.

Question - are the Baby Bertha fins the same size as the fins on a full size Big Bertha?

If they are, what would stop someone from buying a Baby Bertha kit for around $12.00 then add a 18" length of BT-60 to convert the Baby Bertha to a standard Big Bertha?

It 'd be a big savings when the standard Big Bertha can run over $24.99 retail!
That's $13.00 more for 10 inches of tubing!

Just a thought. Proceed!

The Baby Bertha fins have a slightly different shape. I know this because I thought of it, too. :D

Last edited:
By the way,your Baby Fat Boy looks like its scun its knees a few times.Maybe you should let the Baby play in the grass.;) Still,it looks cool

Yeah, it has a hard life. It recovers on a 6' x 2" crepe paper streamer. Someone named our launch site "The Rock". Picture shows why... You either land on asphalt, or on top of the building. Got another BB today - I'll start documenting a Baby Fat Boy build.

lot.jpg

Scotty Dog, how do you do it ?
I ask myself that guestion everyday I head out to work.;) As far as the PNCs, Ive tried a few different ways. I did the BB cone last night. Ill post pics later when I get home.

Last edited:
Yeah, it has a hard life. It recovers on a 6' x 2" crepe paper streamer. Someone named our launch site "The Rock". Picture shows why... You either land on asphalt, or on top of the building. Got another BB today - I'll start documenting a Baby Fat Boy build.

I'm almost done with my Baby Fat Boy, but I'm gonna use a 'chute instead of a streamer. Can I call mine Baby Fat Boy, or did you personally coin the phrase? Anyway, it's a really cool little rocket.

-Socknic (Dark)side)

Well,I screwed up on the pics.I thought I was coping the pics from camera to card. But,NOOOOOOOOOOO! I was deleting the pics.
So,what I have is these three.Anywhoo-I have tried different methods on the PNC mold lines
First thing I do is wash/wipe the PNC off with Bausch & Lomb Sight Savers.
Those are eyeglass lens cleaners for those who dont wear glasses.
Most mold lines are pronounced above the PNC. I sand them down with dry 320 and then dry 400.Put the primer to it.Many coats,and then sand smooth with wet 600 then to wet 800.
On this PNC after sanding I had indentation where the mold lines where.So, I took my exacto knife and actualy scraped them down some more (deeper).
I then put to light coats of Krylon Gray Primer on the whole PNC .I didnt sand those down.The reason I didnt is I did not want to get dust imbedded in the grooves.
Then I took some red putty and filled the grooves. Let that dry and sanded it down.
Then I put 3 coats of primer just on the repaired area.Not the whole PNC.I didnt mask it off,I just used the vertical spray pattern so it hit just that area.(I think ya get my drift)
Sanded the repaired area down and then sprayed the whole PNC with a couple good coats of the gray and wet sanded with 800.
Well, after all that ,I went and sprayed it with white primer.The reason for this is...After looking at some of the other BBs here on TRF,Ive decided to go with some different colors and the white under coat will work out better. Youll have to what and see what I came up with for colors..:p

BB9s.JPG

BB9u.JPG

BB9t.JPG

Last edited:
I'm almost done with my Baby Fat Boy, but I'm gonna use a 'chute instead of a streamer. Can I call mine Baby Fat Boy, or did you personally coin the phrase? Anyway, it's a really cool little rocket.

-Socknic (Dark)side)

I'm going to give credit for the name to Stephen, one of the local NAR guys. He's into Berthas, like I'm into Fat Boys (rockets - ROCKETS!, not the little...you know...). I originally flew mine with the red Chinese chute. The lines got tangled and the parachute looked like a multi-shroud lined rectangle. Larry (another local) saw it and accused me of using a micro-Sky Angle.

I'v found that plastic nose cones always have mold lines on them.

How do you get rid of the mold lines so ya can get a nice smooth paint job on the cone?

Well,I screwed up on the pics.I thought I was coping the pics from camera to card. But,NOOOOOOOOOOO! I was deleting the pics.
So,what I have is these three.Anywhoo-I have tried different methods on the PNC mold lines
First thing I do is wash/wipe the PNC off with Bausch & Lomb Sight Savers.
Those are eyeglass lens cleaners for those who dont wear glasses.
Most mold lines are pronounced above the PNC. I sand them down with dry 320 and then dry 400.Put the primer to it.Many coats,and then sand smooth with wet 600 then to wet 800.
On this PNC after sanding I had indentation where the mold lines where.So, I took my exacto knife and actualy scraped them down some more (deeper).
I then put to light coats of Krylon Gray Primer on the whole PNC .I didnt sand those down.The reason I didnt is I did not want to get dust imbedded in the grooves.
Then I took some red putty and filled the grooves. Let that dry and sanded it down.
Then I put 3 coats of primer just on the repaired area.Not the whole PNC.I didnt mask it off,I just used the vertical spray pattern so it hit just that area.(I think ya get my drift)
Sanded the repaired area down and then sprayed the whole PNC with a couple good coats of the gray and wet sanded with 800.
Well, after all that ,I went and sprayed it with white primer.The reason for this is...After looking at some of the other BBs here on TRF,Ive decided to go with some different colors and the white under coat will work out better. Youll have to what and see what I came up with for colors..:p

Well, that 'covers' that question! :rofl:

I got the NC Painted. Color is Dupli-Color, Ford Emerald Green Metallic.
Very hard to get a pic of how it truly looks.(Color wise)
Pics are basic. I sprayed three coats on.
Im happy with it.

BBNC.JPG

BBNC1.JPG

BBNC2.JPG

BBNC3.JPG

I thought you were a Chevy man?

Ford Emerald Green Metallic?

Are we off to see the wizard?

"Who rang that bell"?

"Why thats a horse of a different color"!

"Dorothy? The witch's Dorothy"?

I thought you were a Chevy man?

Ford Emerald Green Metallic?

Are we off to see the wizard?

"Who rang that bell"?

"Why thats a horse of a different color"!

"Dorothy? The witch's Dorothy"?
Crosscut Saw.Yup,thats what the guidance counselor told me I was in Junior High School.
Ill never forget it. Scarred for life,I was.
Some go with the grain and some go against the grain.
And by the way..MOPAR/JEEP MAN!!!

Chris (hcmbanjo) taught me to use thick ca on the PNC mold lines. Worked well on the TLP hawk and the SHX Stiletto.

Snow??? What the %<}<!?<\ is that????

Well, let's see some more pictures of the paint! I made a two-stage fat boy several years ago, and the only spray paints I had on hand were hammertone green and bright yellow. Since these are John Deere colors, I names it the "Lawn Boy". It was actually a lot prettier than it sounds...

Well, let's see some more pictures of the paint! I made a two-stage fat boy several years ago, and the only spray paints I had on hand were hammertone green and bright yellow. Since these are John Deere colors, I names it the "Lawn Boy". It was actually a lot prettier than it sounds...
Thats a cool name for those colors. This build /paint job was put on hold.
I been/was getting ready for todays(Sat-Nov 5th) launch at Cmass. I did get to see Dans "Big Nekid Bertha" fly today.Nice flight.

Last edited:
And I got to see almost all of ScottyDogs rockets fly. If you folks have not seen this gentlemans rockets on the forums or in person, let me tell you this guy is talented and has quite an imagination! At the launches, I surround myself with some of the most talented guys I have ever been with. I'm hoping some of their genius will rub off on me! Look up ScottyDogs threads, you'll be impressed.

And I got to see almost all of ScottyDogs rockets fly. If you folks have not seen this gentlemans rockets on the forums or in person, let me tell you this guy is talented and has quite an imagination! At the launches, I surround myself with some of the most talented guys I have ever been with. I'm hoping some of their genius will rub off on me! Look up ScottyDogs threads, you'll be impressed.
Dont sell yourself short (pun :rolleyes:) Big "D". Them thar rocket planes you build are awesome. Jims got some great picks of them on his site. And I know Ive picked your brain on some different ways of going about something on my builds.And youve giving me some great tips on how to prepare my rockets for launch and the use of certain materials.Thanks

Chris (hcmbanjo) taught me to use thick ca on the PNC mold lines. Worked well on the TLP hawk and the SHX Stiletto.

Snow??? What the %<}<!?<\ is that????
Seems like a good time saving way to do it to me. Thanks.

Do you two need some privacy or are you finished? :surprised:
thumbnail.aspx

Put the pigment to it today.Hard to see the beauty of the Deep Jewel Green Met color in the pictures.
Im going to trim it out with chrome pin stripe tape and chrome lettering.
I think its going to look classy!!!!!!!

Baby Bertha.JPG

Baby Bertha1.JPG

Baby Bertha2.JPG

Last edited:
LOVE the color. What brand, and was it lacquer, enamel, acrylic, other?
Dupli-Color Perfect Match -Acrylic Lacquer
Deep Jewel Green Met.
I must confess.....
I originally used Emerald Green , rushed the job yesterday (looked crappy)and ended up wet sanding it down today and went and bought a can of the Jewel Green Met, cuz I couldnt find the Emerald in MetWhen I posted the above,I had Emerald Green on my mind and still think I had some in my nose.
The Jewel is a bit (real hard to tell) lighter in shade..(edited above post)

I use Dupli-Color Paint on the rockets that I want to really shine on.
At 6 bucks a can, I dont paint all my rockets with it.

Last edited:
Put the pigment to it today.Hard to see the beauty of the Deep Jewel Green Met color in the pictures.
Im going to trim it out with chrome pin stripe tape and chrome lettering.
I think its going to look classy!!!!!!!

I just turned 45 when that first picture was taken. :) :wink:

Great Job! :clap:

Getting it trimmed out. The letters were stuck to a clear plastic backing.
I cut them out, then drew a line on piece of paper.Covered paper with the clear plastic package the letters came in. Lined the letters up on that.
Then I put a strip of masking tape over the letters.Pulled the backing of the letters and stuck them on rocket.
I had a piece of chrome tape around 2x4. I used that to cut pieces out of to cover MMT.
Put strip of 1/8 chrome tape around top of BT and inbetween the fins on bottom.
Pictures do it no justice.

This BABY... Bertha looks classy!!!!!!!

Baby Bertha3.JPG

Baby Bertha4.JPG

Baby Bertha5.JPG

Baby Bertha6.JPG

Baby Bertha7.JPG

More pics. I dont know why,but I got a couple bubbles and wrinkles in the fillets.These showed up while the paint was drying...OH WELL,still looks cool.

Baby Bertha8.JPG

Baby Bertha9.JPG

Baby Bertha9a.JPG

Baby Bertha9b.JPG

Baby Bertha9c.JPG

Looks pretty sweet scotty dog! Im in the middle of making a glassed baby bertha with a 29mm mmt.

Back