Accidental Launch in China. Oops.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just re-read the chapter called "We Learn a Lesson" in Milt Rosen's The Viking Story, which tells the story of Viking 8's unintended flight. Structural failure of the part of the rocket bolted to the pad, caused by an unexpected set of conditions that occurred during the early portion of the static firing. Something like that might well have happened in China the other day....

After that, they went back to tying the Vikings down at four points for static fires, which they did before every flight as SpaceX has mostly done with Falcon 9s.

The same story is told more succinctly in the second Viking chapter ("Viking Fulfilled") in Gregory Kennedy's The Rockets and Missiles of White Sands Proving Ground 1945-1958. It looks as if he relied on the Rosen book for most of the details.

I just re-read the chapter called "We Learn a Lesson" in Milt Rosen's The Viking Story, which tells the story of Viking 8's unintended flight. Structural failure of the part of the rocket bolted to the pad, caused by an unexpected set of conditions that occurred during the early portion of the static firing. Something like that might well have happened in China the other day....

After that, they went back to tying the Vikings down at four points for static fires, which they did before every flight as SpaceX has mostly done with Falcon 9s.

The same story is told more succinctly in the second Viking chapter ("Viking Fulfilled") in Gregory Kennedy's The Rockets and Missiles of White Sands Proving Ground 1945-1958. It looks as if he relied on the Rosen book for most of the details.
Not to go too off topic, but my junior high school library had a copy of Milt Rosen’s book. I found it fascinating. Turns out they also had a book on the shelves authored by this guy named G. Harry. It resulted in a letter mailed to 1239 Vermont Ave N.W. in Washington, D.C. The rest is history.

Attachments

• IMG_2464.jpeg
    IMG_2464.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
I'd make a joke about Harbor Freight bolts.... But I guess I don't have to.

I'm reminded of a story about the Toyota Supra, which is currently co-produced by BMW and Toyota. The Toyota Engineers test everything, right down to the lug bolts and were appalled that the Germans were not doing any testing on their end. Which possibly explains why Toyotas last forever, and BMWs break down not long after leaving the dealership...

I'd make a joke about Harbor Freight bolts.... But I guess I don't have to.

I'm reminded of a story about the Toyota Supra, which is currently co-produced by BMW and Toyota. The Toyota Engineers test everything, right down to the lug bolts and were appalled that the Germans were not doing any testing on their end. Which possibly explains why Toyotas last forever, and BMWs break down not long after leaving the dealership...

Or it could be BMWs break down quickly due to karmic justice for bad parking.

Not to go too off topic, but my junior high school library had a copy of Milt Rosen’s book. I found it fascinating. Turns out they also had a book on the shelves authored by this guy named G. Harry. It resulted in a letter mailed to 1239 Vermont Ave N.W. in Washington, D.C. The rest is history.
Ah, so that's what the dust jacket looks like. I got my copy some years ago from one used bookseller or another, and it's also an ex-library (El Camino College) copy of the book.

What about the V2 that landed in Mexico across the border?

I don't think the V-2 that went into Mexico was a failed static test. I know I've read that story somewhere, but a quick skim of the V-2 chapter in the Kennedy book doesn't turn that story up.

They said the structure of the rocket ripped apart on the pad. It was burning for 5+ seconds before it took off. The 30 second burn was interrupted by the rockets motors starting to consume themselves .

The studs holding the strut top mounts have had a torque spec of 33 ft-lbs for every Toyota I've ever looked at the manual for since my 1985 MR2. The torque spec for the same fastener type and size in the same location doing the same job on a BMW is 15 ft-lbs. Guess what happens if you try to assemble the BMW with the Toyota torque spec?

I thought static tests were generally done horizontally? Doesn't look like it in this case unless the rocket "hopped" nose up.
Couldn't see from that angle through the smoke.

I wonder if the self destruct command was given from the ground or if the nozzle assembly was damaged and self destructed itself without
using up all the fuel. Big fire when it hit. I'm thinking nozzle/motor damage on ascent

O.k. I just saw that other camera angle above. It was upright. It actually looked pretty good in that segment.

Yeah, mad props to the guidance team, right? Even in a configuration never meant to fly... it flew.

For a moment I see a big fire coming out sideways at the base of the booster. Probably the QD all torn up. Later there's a GSE fire well away from the pad platform.

Interesting question. I assume N1 held less overall, but does it make any difference if the boom is keralox based vs methalox?

I've seen the Saturn V scaled relative to a small atomic bomb. Don't remember how big it was. I wonder what the full Starship would rate as?

Ah, so that's what the dust jacket looks like. I got my copy some years ago from one used bookseller or another, and it's also an ex-library (El Camino College) copy of the book.

I don't think the V-2 that went into Mexico was a failed static test. I know I've read that story somewhere, but a quick skim of the V-2 chapter in the Kennedy book doesn't turn that story up.
It’s actually my second copy. Fifty years ago I bought my first at a used book store in Gwynedd Valley, PA. This book matched what is for sale at $475 on the web:

1st Edition. Hardcover. Signed first edition. Presentation label from the Martin Company at the opening of Viking Rocket Hall at the Hayden Planetarium, NY, June 30th, 1955. Signed by the author.

As I brought hardly any rockets or literature south with me when I left Pennsylvania, this book is gone.

I do remember seeing the Viking in NYC when I was in elementary school. We were reunited on June 1976 when I visited Air & Space before it opened. The Viking had been transferred to the NASM collection.

With luck, they weren't in the shack.
Oh shoot! You are so right. I suspect if anyone was in those nearby buildings would have been incinerated. Yeah I know the booster didn't land on the buildings but the flame plume looked very extensive and abnormal. I just hope the Chinese space agency kept
all personnel back a safe distance. Burning to death while alive is a bad way to go I can't wish on anyone. Too bad of the mishap.

Latest posts

Back