A term that you cannot stand:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"secured"
  • Some people mean "it's shut off"
  • Some people mean "it's locked up"
  • Some people mean "it's bolted down"

"That car needs fixed" or "my shirt needs washed".

Everytime I hear this stupidity I think..."Did you never learn about infinitives in school, or ever hear someone speak english before?"

“Bu-on” or “Bri-ish” or any time someone drops the “T”.

[snip]

That particular one is something I notice and regretfully it often makes me think of the person as less smart than they likely are. I think it is often a failure of parenting (opinion, not fact). The few people I've been around raising their kids and letting 'baby talk' be a standard have done a disservice to their child by giving them a bit of a handicap. I feel like I'm being judgemental, but at least I'm being honest. . .

"secured"
I've heard you can tell what branch of the military someone is in by what they do when directed to secure a building:
Marines: move through, clearing it room by room.
Army: set up a defensive perimeter and patrols.
Navy: turn off the lights and lock all the doors.
Air Force: make an earnest money deposit.

Last edited:
"secured"

We have verbal checks between the pilot and us crew prior to take-off and landing:

Doors and seat belts: secured
Patient: secured
Equipment: secured.

Meaning the doors are shut and locked. Seatbelts are on us and the Patient
Equipment is all properly secured with straps or the appropriate mounting system. Oxygen and equipment stays on, unless we have an emergency. Then oxygen is secured by shutting it off. We definitely don't need flames, Jet-A and liquid oxygen being released into gas all mixing together.

My father in law, who has a mix of accents from Texas, Kansas, and the Air Force 😏, would possibly say something like:
"I wanted to ax you about your trip to Worshington DC. Did you eat at any eye-talian restronts?"
I cringe every time! 😣

My father in law, who has a mix of accents from Texas, Kansas, and the Air Force 😏, would possibly say something like:
"I wanted to ax you about your trip to Worshington DC. Did you eat at any eye-talian restronts?"
I cringe every time! 😣
Thats cuz yuz a yankee a kaint spek proper

The confused misuse of the following similar sounding words, but with very different uses:
To, too, two
Your, you're
Here, hear
There, their, they're
And so on. It astounds me how often I see these used incorrectly in news stories, posts, print ads, other promotional materials. I usually automatically assume that writer is an amateur (perhaps unfairly). I now believe that there is no real effort put into editing anymore, which used to be a real career profession. Editing is lacking, even in news organizations. I'm not the grammar police, but in professional writing situations, I expect more.

And no, I'm not a teacher, editor, or writer. But these things used to be drilled into the heads of young students and we usually got it right by the 5th grade.
Writing isn't what it used to be, but I imagine writers and editors of online content are under more pressure to pump out more content in less time.

Writing isn't what it used to be, but I imagine writers and editors of online content are under more pressure to pump out more content in less time.
I think that's the crux of the issue when it comes to news stories online. Publish the article as soon as possible, then have someone circle back to proof reading the content as time allows.

I think that's the crux of the issue when it comes to news stories online. Publish the article as soon as possible, then have someone circle back to proof reading the content as time allows.
They don’t even keep copy editors on staff anymore.

They don’t even keep copy editors on staff anymore.
I agree. What I see and I have no proof this is actually what is happening, the newscaster/reporter is using voice to text. The text inputs what the AI thinks the correct word should be.
No one to proof read it, so off it goes.

I don't know why this seems to be more prevalent, but I swear that I am hearing more people on TV use a hard "g" when it is followed with "ing."

"I'm just hanging out."

ARRGH! (That's with a hard "g".)

Even worse is the use of "I feel like" blah blah blah. No you don't feel out anything, you make a cognitive reasoning. Facts and deductions are not emotional.
If you start your argument by saying, "I feel that..." or something similar, I am not likely to take you seriously.

Back