A-20 Demon MMX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My longer goal is to build a series of the Estes A-20 Demon from MMX through 29mm motors. I recently finished the BT-60 size, and I decided to go to the other end and build a BT-2 (MMX minimum diameter) version. I just scaled down the decal set (I got a set for the BT-60 rocket on eBay from CMR Products LLC) for a BT-2 sized-rocket. As you can tell in the photos, the challenge is cutting those tiny silver fin tabs. Some of mine aren’t so good. Overall, happy with the final product.

The 3:1 conical nose with rounded tip was simulated by gently sanding down a longer tangent ogive resin cone from RocketShip Games. Certainly not perfect, but close enough for the job.

I printed decals on inkjet decal paper (clear), then gave them several light coats of Dupli-Color 1K Clear spray paint. The clear decal is laid on a piece of chrome slef-adhesive monokote I got at hobby shop several years ago. The combo of clear decal over chrome monokote is great — much better than a metallic label, which will work but is not as thin. Oh, and the Demon image on black band was printed on white inkjet decal paper so the demon would be in white, which is original.

On to clear coat, then add it to my MMX collection until I complete the Demon series when I will make a larger stand for all the series.

Attachments

• A-20 Demon 1.png
    A-20 Demon 1.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • A-20 Demon 2.png
    A-20 Demon 2.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • A-20 Demon 3.png
    A-20 Demon 3.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • A-20 Demon 4.png
    A-20 Demon 4.png