1/100 scale Boyce Mercury Redstone re-released (review pics)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novahobbies

Reaction score
Look what came today!
20240423_151123.jpg
You guessed it! A BOX!! But inside the box, now, that's where it gets fun! Come check this out with me!

...heh. So, yeah, anyways, I got an in-stock notification for this about 2 weeks ago. Boyce has not only re-released this tiny gem, but also re-engineered it so its a full model kit, nothing else to buy. At $25, it's reasonably priced, especially for all these 3d printed parts. And speaking of parts...
20240423_151355.jpg

Yeah! These look great!
20240423_151418.jpg

You get the "milkstool" stand, two escape towers, the fin can, upper spike material, and capsule printed in really nice looking resin. Not sure of the type of resin, but these look like SLA Formlabs parts. No additional cleanup is needed beyond some light sanding.
You also get a body tube, a cardboard template to use as a flyaway launch lug, a small piece of launch lug for pretending you're a giant drinking through a normal-sized straw, a piece of wooden toweling for poking your children, a Kevlar line to make hangman nooses for lego mini figs, some mylar strip material for surrending your army at Waterloo, and some white sticky dots for.....applying to items that need white sticky dots.
Or, you could use all that stuff to build this model! 😁
20240423_151431.jpg
20240423_151529.jpg

It was hard to photograph the detail on the bare plastic, but you get the idea here. It looks really nice, especially for the size. Speaking of size:
20240423_151816.jpg

Hoooooly crap it looks miniscule next to the Saturn V. Really puts things into perspective!

Anyway, I thought folks might like to see these parts up close, so there ya go. Boyce delivers good product. Oh, and the best news? I asked them; they said yes, a new 100 scale Mercury Atlas is STILL going to be released "soon," as is a surprise I wasn't aware of: a 100 scale Gemini Titan! Now that was unexpected, but I'm down for it!

Look what came today!
View attachment 642174
You guessed it! A BOX!! But inside the box, now, that's where it gets fun! Come check this out with me!

...heh. So, yeah, anyways, I got an in-stock notification for this about 2 weeks ago. Boyce has not only re-released this tiny gem, but also re-engineered it so its a full model kit, nothing else to buy. At $25, it's reasonably priced, especially for all these 3d printed parts. And speaking of parts...
View attachment 642175

Yeah! These look great!
View attachment 642176

You get the "milkstool" stand, two escape towers, the fin can, upper spike material, and capsule printed in really nice looking resin. Not sure of the type of resin, but these look like SLA Formlabs parts. No additional cleanup is needed beyond some light sanding.
You also get a body tube, a cardboard template to use as a flyaway launch lug, a small piece of launch lug for pretending you're a giant drinking through a normal-sized straw, a piece of wooden toweling for poking your children, a Kevlar line to make hangman nooses for lego mini figs, some mylar strip material for surrending your army at Waterloo, and some white sticky dots for.....applying to items that need white sticky dots.
Or, you could use all that stuff to build this model! 😁
View attachment 642177
View attachment 642178

It was hard to photograph the detail on the bare plastic, but you get the idea here. It looks really nice, especially for the size. Speaking of size:
View attachment 642179

Hoooooly crap it looks miniscule next to the Saturn V. Really puts things into perspective!

Anyway, I thought folks might like to see these parts up close, so there ya go. Boyce delivers good product. Oh, and the best news? I asked them; they said yes, a new 100 scale Mercury Atlas is STILL going to be released "soon," as is a surprise I wasn't aware of: a 100 scale Gemini Titan! Now that was unexpected, but I'm down for it!
I have the old Mercury Atlas, Redstone, and Gemini Titan. These look much better.

I have the old Mercury Atlas, Redstone, and Gemini Titan. These look much better.
I never even knew they'd done a 100 scale G-T. I knew about the older Redstone and Atlas, so that's good to know.
The decal sheet is very nice, but you can bet I'm scanning it for possible emergency if I mess it up. 😁

Latest posts

Back