Motivation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlazarus6660

Reaction score
The weather stinks, perfect for building rockets, got plenty of projects to work on, want to start yet another project but I have NO motivation.
What do you do for it?

big_Funny%20Motivational%20Posters01.jpg

You could try "Motivational Posters"....

I stopped at the LHS after work and bought some B4-4s and some C11-5s. I also ended up having ,in my shopping bag when I left, an Estes,QCC EXPLORER for the tune of 20.99.(Free Shipping ha ha ) I dont know. :confused2: I feel pretty good :D I do hear ya ,this ole New England DAMP,DISMAL,DEPRESSING .BLA,BLA,BLA weather can get ya down. Ill take the rain if its warm out, but this damp crap sucks.

Last edited:
I've found that, for the most part, an impending launch weekend is my biggest motivation to build. I've had some projects that should have only taken a couple of weeks take a few months due to lack of motivation. I'm more of a flyer than a builder.

I've recently discovered that, while I enjoy flying mid and high-power, low-power is more fun from a building standpoint.

I go on either Emrr, or the galleries here to get inspiration.

I'm in our summer hiatus, both of my clubs don't launch during the summer due to fire danger. I find that I'm easily motivated for larger MPR/HPR projects, like my recent Tank Girl. But for some reason, I can't get motivated to build my Estes QCC Explorer and Maxi Alpha 3. I really want to build the QCC Explorer because my nephew bought it for me for my birthday. And I really want to build the Maxi Alpha 3 because I had one years ago, and it was one of my father's favorite rockets to watch me launch (God rest his soul). You'd think I would be highly motivated to build both, but I've been dragging my heels. I'm kind of scared of the QCC Explorer because of all the small parts, it looks like a tedious build (to me, at least). I really don't know why I'm putting off the Maxi Alphs 3, it should be an quick, easy build.

So I'm waiting with interest to see how others here find their motivation.

I am the king of procrastination but found the motivation this morning to fill spirals,sand,and apply first coat of primer on this Blue Phenix rebuild for my LVL 2 cert coming up next weekend.Hopefully the rain and humidity will stay away.:eyeroll: One day it will look like it did on LVL 1 attempt when it got cooked from seal failure.(my rookie assembly mistake)
Others still awaiting motivation:
Estes Saturn V (still in box,looked at parts once)
MWP wildman kit aka Witches Express(started build thread last Oct. here,nose cone primed,Ebay not even started,payload not touched,bottom half 1 coat primer.It might get finished by this Halloween)
LOC's Marvins Wild Ride (awaits fin repair from clumsy foot)
Gizmo (still in shipping box but it is was opened)
Wildmans Wild Child (finished all but 3 coats of final paint color,can't decide on what)
3 boxes of low power kits HA yea right........maybe Amazon sells motivational books ,I'll check next week..............

Rocket builds 002 (600x800).jpg

Rocket builds 003 (600x800).jpg

mem stick 129.jpg

I’m slowly becoming disillusioned, disappointed and otherwise depressed with this hobby.

Cancelled launches, lost launch sites, storms, burn bans and wind, wind and still more wind.

I’ve been waiting since September ’10 for an opportunity to try for my Cert-1 flight and it looks like it will be this Sept. that I’ll finally get the chance.

I have rockets that are approaching their first birthday that I haven’t had a chance to actually launch so buying and building any additional rockets is an exorcise in futility not to mention I’ll have more things I have to dust.

And there is no need to buy more motors if you’re not burning the ones you already have.

I’m slowly becoming disillusioned, disappointed and otherwise depressed with this hobby.

Cancelled launches, lost launch sites, storms, burn bans and wind, wind and still more wind.

I’ve been waiting since September ’10 for an opportunity to try for my Cert-1 flight and it looks like it will be this Sept. that I’ll finally get the chance.

I have rockets that are approaching their first birthday that I haven’t had a chance to actually launch so buying and building any additional rockets is an exorcise in futility not to mention I’ll have more things I have to dust.

And there is no need to buy more motors if you’re not burning the ones you already have.

...That was exceeding depressing. How do you need motivation to, um, BUILD A ROCKET! The only thing holding me back is :2:

Oh man, I feel for ya! I'll definitely keep you in my prayers.

So, I'm not alone. I feel your pian, the weather here in New England and the northeast as a whole has been damp and wet for months now. Doesn't look like were gonna have a summer again like in 2009.

So, I'm not alone. I feel your pian, the weather here in New England and the northeast as a whole has been damp and wet for months now. Doesn't look like were gonna have a summer again like in 2009.
Thought the wife and I were going to get some up Sunday afternoon. Well, I no sooner said to her,Looks like we may get a launch in ,the clouds rolled in and the skys opened,and the rains came,AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! BUMMER. So I figured Ill get some work done on a scratcher Im doing...well,that took some motovation as it was like."Why" never get to fly them anywhoo----Pissy attitude isnt it. :(

When I hit a slow spot I generally try to take care of a couple Home Projects. perhaps a shelf the better 2/3rds has requested or like last weekend a whole bunch of little things that have been on the "round to it" list.

I even took a big swing at pulling in a new electric line for the kitchen she's been hinting at for 30+ years LOL!!!! didn't finish it but hey it's Really started.

Anyway by Sunday afternoon I was ready to at least look at the next Micro model on the list;)

We moved last year and all our rocket stuff has been in boxes waiting for us to unpack the rest of the house and build a workshop in the basement of the new house.

Last week I finally registered for NARAM-53 and made reservations at the nearby campground. Many of our models are damaged from crashes or from moving.

We have three weeks to repair our fleet and build a few new ones as well as paint some rockets that were built two years ago but are still naked...

Last night we unpacked our rockets. Our motivation is rising quickly toward panic. :D

I've finally gotten around to finishing 3 rockets I started about 10 years ago. The bad part is, they were pretty much built and just needed finishing.
Transwing - all it needed was paint on the body tube
Condor ARV - paint and decals. I managed to mess up about half the decals (waterslide)
Mars Snooper II - This one is turning out relatively nice. Had a little orange peel, but I'm not really that upset about it. It'll look great on the pad.

After the myriad issues I had bottling a batch of beer Friday night (which reminded me why I keg), the decals and orange peel were much more tolerable.

I don't know when I'll be able to fly these. The wind this year has been abominable.

Thought the wife and I were going to get some up Sunday afternoon. Well, I no sooner said to her,Looks like we may get a launch in ,the clouds rolled in and the skys opened,and the rains came,AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! BUMMER. So I figured Ill get some work done on a scratcher Im doing...well,that took some motovation as it was like."Why" never get to fly them anywhoo----Pissy attitude isnt it. :(

Rain!!??

I seem to remember something called rain. That’s where water falls from the sky right?

I think we had some of that back in March.

Motivation.

Simple...I tend to work on rockets in serial...I don't usually start one rocket until a previous one is complete. I made a small exception recently when I rebuilt my Space Shuttle SRB/ET stack, Mini Max, Big Mini Max, and Mini Honest John all at the same time. But the MM/BigMM/MHJ were pretty simple models, so it was easy to do a step on those between things like recreating the engine mount rings, or body wraps, etc for the Shuttle stack.

Anyway, since I don't start a new kit until a previous one is done...I try to get the previous one done within a reasonable time. Which is why the current project is somewhat painful. The N-1 has been a LOT of work...probably the most difficult rocket I've ever built...

FC

This is why it is advantageous to have more than one hobby.:wink:

I am fortunate(?) enough right now to have roughly 2 weekends a month where I can launch LPR/MPR and 1 weekend for HPR (or more if I am willing to go even farther). I can not launch whenever I want. That is verboten in CA. I must admit it would keep my level of interest higher but thats life.

So I have other hobbies that I ebb and flow in and out of: Astronomy and R/C Sailplanes (cheap(er) wooden ones you build) are there to provide a break from rockets. I admit, astronomy can be expensive, it does not have to be. R/C Sailplanes ditto. Both however are subject to the weather. Of course you can do citizen science on places like GalaxyZoo. :)

I am even thinking R/C helicopters... again nothing huge or (overly) expensive. Yes: I know crashes are expensive.

I can not do anything about your weather except tell you to move which is pretty callous, so I won't. ;)

Remember. Its a hobby. When it is not fun, don't do it. That way you never feel you must and you'll enjoy it that much more when you do.

I'm with boomtube--wind advisory--heat advisory, 100+-burn ban---ARGG:y:too hot to fish and I have a stream and a lake on the property. I hate being stuck inside. I do have a pool--hmm-maybe a Polaris build is in my future:eyepop:yeh that's the ticket !

Especially when you start buying those well-known "green" eyepieces! :D

Oh yeah... Uncle Al's gotten plenty of my cash :eyeroll: :eek: ... but you don't NEED to own Uncle Al's products to have great views.

Of course you gotta get away from the city unless you enjoy the Moon and brighter planets (draw them!)

Yup,thats one of my other passions, landscaping .Did the stone work around the tree and put in lawn, flowers ect. Now Im after the hill. (pay no attention to the dates on pics) Its this years work. Of course the INSPECTOR has to OK the placement of the stones.

front yard stone work.JPG

front yard stone work1.JPG

front yard stone work2.JPG

front yard stone work3.JPG

Last edited:
Yup,thats one of my other passions, landscaping .Did the stone work around the tree and put in lawn, flowers ect. Now Im after the hill. (pay no attention to the dates on pics) Its this years work. Of course the INSPECTOR has to OK the placement of the stones.

Them there are some big rocks!

What about motivation for here at work?! I am soooooo unmotivated here, my job..

No matter what I do, it's wrong. And what I did do right, could've been done better. Not to mention it shoulda been done this way, not "my way", despite getting the same expected results.. How can you........

I love my boss!

Them there are some big rocks!
Yes they are.Funny , we own 12 acres of land.We are in/on the Connnecticut River Valley in N Haverhill NH. The thing is,basically the whole valley is sand from the many 100s of years the river has flowed thru here.So,from the road all the way up to where the trees start in my back yard (about 4 acres and 600 ft from road) there is nothing but sand.I mean like beach sand as far down as you can dig.Once you hit the back woods and the land goes up hill in a hurry, you get in to the stones,well,as you can see, more like boulders. There are some as big as a car out back and there are many,many of them.So,as I said,the front of the land you cannt find a stone,get out back and wammy.There really is a very distinct line. So, all the stones,rocks,boulders have to come from the woods and I go get them with the tractor.Some of them have been a real bear trying to get out of the ground and into the tractor bucket.If I had a backhoe attachment it would make it soooooo much easier to at the least get them extracted from the earth. It is alot of work per.say,but I love doing it and I specialy love the end results.When we bought this place there was NOTHING but a stone driveway going to the front of the house. Front yard was sand and the back was sand with crab grass and thornes and just junky crappy stuff that grows in sand. We been there 10 yrs this Jan 2012.What a differents 10 years of landscapping makes.We now have many rock gardens, planted flowering trees,shade tress,bushes, nice lawns,veggie gardens,Blueberry bushes,Black berries, ect. They are spread out all over the place and if I say so myself..it looks AWESOME and is very relaxing to take a stroll around the place now and visit the gardens and such. Anywhoo- thats my other hobby (if ya call it a hobby more like a passion I guess?)besides rockets.

Last edited:
Rain!!??

I seem to remember something called rain. That’s where water falls from the sky right?

I think we had some of that back in March.

Last week I visited the dentist and coincidentally it rained for the first time in a while. My standard dentist was not in the office, so his associate did the work instead. I learned that the associate became a father of twins recently. He was excited that it was the first time they had seen rain.

The twins are nine months old.

Greg

Last week I visited the dentist and coincidentally it rained for the first time in a while. My standard dentist was not in the office, so his associate did the work instead. I learned that the associate became a father of twins recently. He was excited that it was the first time they had seen rain.

The twins are nine months old.

Greg
I like watching the students here at Dartmouth College
when the first snow comes ,cuz many have never seen/felt/tasted snow.

Back