Your biggest rocket Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after a week and a half and 30 posts, it looks like I still totally own the distinction of having the smallest "biggest rockets." At least I'm open about it.

This was my L1 cert rocket- 4" diameter influenced by the Binder Excel. I've launched it on Aerotech 38mm H and I reloads.

BLJA2.jpg

Well, after a week and a half and 30 posts, it looks like I still totally own the distinction of having the smallest "biggest rockets." At least I'm open about it.

...and if it makes you happy, that's all that matters!

-Kevin

I built this in 1993 and called it ThunderCeptor. 12 foot tall, 3" diameter, and 16 fins. The pods on the outer cord of the lowest set of fins are flimsy BT-5 and were bent before I even painted the rocket.

I've had plans forever to build a 3/4 version of it, but have never put that into action.

4" Photon Probe Upscale, 65", 5.5 pounds, 38mm MMT. Flown once on an H250G. Needs more power.

PP On Pad.jpg

I built this in 1993 and called it ThunderCeptor. 12 foot tall, 3" diameter, and 16 fins. The pods on the outer cord of the lowest set of fins are flimsy BT-5 and were bent before I even painted the rocket.

I've had plans forever to build a 3/4 version of it, but have never put that into action.

That's very cool looking. Did you ever fly it?

I got out of HPR and EX over a decade ago. My largest rocket was a 1/2 scale Aerobee Hi painted like the first MMI kit. It was 7.67" dia. and about 12 1/2 ft. tall. I turned the nosecone out of foam and glassed it. It flew exclusively on EX motors. The photo shows it at LDRS XV in 1996 on a DPS L1000 Yellowjacket. The largest motor I flew it on was was an M3000 that we whipped up one night in Jim's shop.

I got out of HPR and EX over a decade ago. My largest rocket was a 1/2 scale Aerobee Hi painted like the first MMI kit. It was 7.67" dia. and about 12 1/2 ft. tall. I turned the nosecone out of foam and glassed it. It flew exclusively on EX motors. The photo shows it at LDRS XV in 1996 on a DPS L1000 Yellowjacket. The largest motor I flew it on was was an M3000 that we whipped up one night in Jim's shop.
Jeezum, Tim! I mean... well, Jeezum! :jaw:

Flew EX. Flew M motors. Gave it up and now flies LPR and some MPR. Imagine that... :wink:

Jeezum, Tim! I mean... well, Jeezum! :jaw:

Flew EX. Flew M motors. Gave it up and now flies LPR and some MPR. Imagine that... :wink:

Believe it or not, I don't miss it. My wallet isn't as thin either. :cool:

New biggest...

My Javelin XL (53.625" long, 2.34" diameter). It's an upscaled #0815 Estes Javelin that I flew for Level 1 certification.

(and yeah, I am going to paint it... eventually!)

DSCF0569.JPG

DSCF0507-1.JPG

"Mega" DarkStar
25ft tall
12 in, diameter

305lbs
1 O motor
3 54mm motors

1st flight 8600ft
2nd flight 12,800ft
3rd flight LDRS ?

100_6181.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I guess this one....even though its only "mid power" ?

3 D cluster, over 6' tall.

This rocket photo was the cover photo for American Spacemodeler :D
Jan or Dec 1984 or 1985, I forget. The Lauch area is Richardson/Garland Tx, and is now covered in buildings, house, roads, you name it!

rocketblastoff1-L.jpg

Last edited:
My tallest.

A 4x Upscale Estes Mean Machine. 25ft tall. 5.5" diameter bluetube 2.0 (5 whole lengths of it)

Flew on an K1440WT at NSL in June and will fly it again at ROCtober (On the same motor)

Bryce

NSL1.JPG

NSL2.jpg

NSL3.jpg

NSL4.jpg

NSL5.jpg

In 1991, Long before NFPA/FAA/NAR increased the Max model weight to 1500grams, I wanted to build the (Longest/largest) Model possible remaining under that magic 454grams/1lb max liftoff weight limit. That Model ended up being a Stretched Version of the "Grumpy Dog" 2-Stage BT-70/BT-60 model flying on a Combination D12-0/D12-5. it's Demo Flight liftoff weight is 452grams. with Motors installed in the retainer clips Grumpy is 120" overall length making him the largest model in my fleet.

The other " Largest model" would have to be what I call the Micro Extreme Length Experiment or ELE-1.
Wanting to stretch the limits of what could actually be Lifted with a single Micro Maxx-II motor this T2+/T2 (.281"minimum motor dia to .246" tubing) micro super-Roc Stretches the tape measure to 103.25" with motor installed. 17.3g without motor/ 18.5grams with motor and streamer. As a Micro Super-Roc Demo and Display rocket this model was the best I could get to fly...IF only to about 20 feet alt on each flight with a super Backslide Glide recovery that went more then 50yards. Glides so well on the second and subsuquent flights the streamer was eliminated to shead some unwanted mass.
Both are now regulars on the Demo and Exhibit tours our club present to various groups, orgs., special Space Day events and airshows.

MM 285a02_ELE-01 & 115- LTGD (128dpi)_05-06-06.jpg

Last edited:
That Micro Superroc is amazing! I never would have predicted that a single MicroMaxx motor would ever be able to get it off the ground. And what's more incredible is that it was built out of standard micro-diameter tubing. I'm wondering if it would be possible to make one that long out of rolled paper? (And would that even make it any lighter in the end?) Or even single-layer tissue-thin fiberglass? I don't know, it might be hard to beat the one you built!

8' 7" of T2+ and T2! Lifted by a motor that possesses all of 0.3 Newton-seconds of total impulse!! Geez!

(Putting in an order for micro body tubing...lots of micro body tubing!)

That Micro Superroc is amazing! I never would have predicted that a single MicroMaxx motor would ever be able to get it off the ground. And what's more incredible is that it was built out of standard micro-diameter tubing. I'm wondering if it would be possible to make one that long out of rolled paper? (And would that even make it any lighter in the end?) Or even single-layer tissue-thin fiberglass? I don't know, it might be hard to beat the one you built!

8' 7" of T2+ and T2! Lifted by a motor that possesses all of 0.3 Newton-seconds of total impulse!! Geez!

(Putting in an order for micro body tubing...lots of micro body tubing!)

Don't believe rolled paper would have the strength to hold up it's own weight. A single wrap of .5oz glass perhaps but man...laying up the tubes would be a bear LOL!!! Whatever the tube material, it has to remain self supporting which starts to becomes a problem after the second 34" section ;)
It was a pretty interesting experiment and fun project to play with. Sure gets alot of attention and questions at shows and launches.

The largest rocket (by volume) that I've flown so far was my Hyperloc 835, on an I218 Redline.

hyperloc3_edit.jpg

hyperloc4.jpg

hyperloc5.jpg

hyperloc9.jpg

Cool Rocket! And the AT I- 218 R is my favorite 38mm motor.

Thank you! Yeah, that I218 was pretty spectacular. It was my first I, and I think I made a good choice. I calculated that the red flame was about 22" long.

If you like the I218, try the I600R, now that's a nice motor....

Great shot of the flame......

If you like the I218, try the I600R, now that's a nice motor....

Great shot of the flame......

Thanks, my son took the photos. I actually already have an I600 reload and a 38/720 case. I plan on using it for my first dual deploy flight in my Hyperloc.

My YouBee stands about 12' tall:

Many of these photos remind me of ones I took - or rather tried to take - when I was a kid. I'd place a model rocket near the camera and I would stand farther away. The idea was to make the rocket look really large. I'm not sure any of the photos turned out the way I had hoped.

Now, I just stand next to the rocket ... :)

-- Roger

Last edited:
Brothers Joe, John and I posing with Large Marge in 1996. This group project was our biggest and funnest ever. Five engine cluster with a central 54mm, two 38mm and two 29mm using motor ejection with the parachute deploying out of the top of the tube ala Big Bertha.

Large Marge.jpg

I don't have it anymore. But it was a schweet flyer.

It was designed for the Hypertek L back when hybrids were all the rage. Glassed LOC tubing. LOC reducer. G10 fins. My own vinyl graphics and decals. Missileworks RRC for apogee deploy.

HighBredArrow-Finished-2002-05-25 11-43-33-03.jpg

Back