You might be a child in the 70s if:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trying to get everyone to wear a seat belt..
Funny story. My grandmother bought a brand new 1974 Mercury Comet...I remember the round gas tank cover in the back and the hatchback. Honest John green. She brought it home and promptly cut out the seatbelts with a butcher knife.

Fast forward to 2022. I get pulled over by the OSP on the turnpike. I was in a pack of 4 cars going 78...couldn't understand why she pulled me over until she asks, "why don't you like seatbelts?" I told her about my grandmother cutting them out in 1974. She ALMOST broke a laugh, but held it together, I got the "no seatbelt" ticket anyway.

1714869864597.png

Selectric was a dream! I learned on the older style swing type. When I had a chance to type on a Selectric, I was blown away. At my peak, I was 80wpm. I'm now down to 72.
My dad had a manual Royal. I bought a Smith Corona electric.
Couldn't afford an IBM Selectric.
They were close to a thousand dollars IIRC.

Selectric was a dream! I learned on the older style swing type. When I had a chance to type on a Selectric, I was blown away. At my peak, I was 80wpm. I'm now down to 72.
I think at my peak, I may have been right around 80.
We had 6 of the IBM Selectrics. Only the students who were “exceptional” got to use those.
One student was what I called “supernaturally gifted”. She was pounding out 190 WPM, with zero errors.
I don’t remember the exact speed that typewriter had (had to look it up-186 WPM). Several times she outpaced what the machine could keep up with.

I think at my peak, I may have been right around 80.
We had 6 of the IBM Selectrics. Only the students who were “exceptional” got to use those.
One student was what I called “supernaturally gifted”. She was pounding out 190 WPM, with zero errors.
I don’t remember the exact speed that typewriter had (had to look it up-186 WPM). Several times she outpaced what the machine could keep up with.
I took typing as a high school freshman. Most of our machines were manual, with no letters printed on the keys, but we did have a few selectrics in class too.

Sizzlers were amazing!
Sizzlers were very cool, and if you took the motor out of a second car and cut the front off the first one just past the little 1/3AA NiCad battery and heat-welded it together, you could make a 4WD Sizzler that would really scream. Most of my toys back in the day ended up getting hacked up one way or another...

It was the most awesome show at the time...

Edit: space 1999 was just a little British "dry", UFO was British "Hip"

I didn't know it until fairly recently, but Space 1999 was supposed to be season 2 of UFO.

Apparently, folks liked the UFO episodes that were set on the moon and in space much more than the ones set on Earth. So it was decided that season two would be set ~20 years in the future when the small Moonbase and interceptors from UFO have been replaced by a much bigger and more established Moonbase Alpha, as well as other alien defense bases around the Moon and in Earth and Lunar orbits. The Eagles were to be the workhorse spaceship, joined by a vast array of other types, as one would expect from a Gerry Anderson production.

As it was, the American and UK networks decided to opt out of UFOs second season, so it was cancelled outright and the sets, props, costumes and models were recycled into Space 1999. Of course the Eagles became series stars in their own right. I think they are one of the coolest sci-fi ships ever.

Other models from UFO season 2 made cameos as alien ships, etc. in Space 1999. There were also the Mark IX Hawks from the episode "War Games". Apparently, the Hawks were supposed to be the second season's Moonbase interceptors. They were, of course, as awesome a looking piece of space based bad-assery as one could expect from the Anderson team!

1715045695776.png
1715045732373.png
1715045812722.png1715045838872.png

Back