You might be a child in the 70s if:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ps I wish I was in it, I’ll have to take 2 different math classes in one year in order to catch up.
GO, MAN, GO! It always got me, when I went back to school, the "kids" that griped about their section going much further through a text than another section. And I'm like, "You both paid the same money, but you got more benefit!"

Still. There are quality of life issues, and you can certainly make up that in 1 term at college.

If you're wondering what the big deal is, zoom up to see who is listed as the manufacturer. And yes, they work wonderfully.
I had a JCP set of radial tires, a cb radio, and a home stereo set.
They were all rebranded to the JCP name from well known manufacturers.
The cb was a Midland, the stereo was from Panasonic (MCS series).
I think the tires were made by Firestone.
Back then JCP was going head to head against Sears in every department.
They were an anchor tenant in all the big malls across the state, along with Sears.
Even had their own auto service dept. like Sears.
Even a big fat catalog every year.
How times have changed!

^ Our Big Mall had JCP, no Sears. Sears had it's own standalone store about 1 mile away was probably why and yes JCP had the Auto store in the Mall Parking Lot. I got my first aftermarket auto stereo there on a JCP credit card that was made of thick paper they printed out at the point of purchase.

^ Our Big Mall had JCP, no Sears. Sears had it's own standalone store about 1 mile away was probably why and yes JCP had the Auto store in the Mall Parking Lot. I got my first aftermarket auto stereo there on a JCP credit card that was made of thick paper they printed out at the point of purchase.
Malls are gone, what a mess. I figured when malls came in you'd be able to get everything from soup to nuts; the best tools, the best hobby stuff, the best sports stuff, musical instruments, you name it. To my young mind it was supposed to be a place you could get anything. And it started out kinda good; you could get a piano if you'd like, there were a few decent toy stores for kids, but never any hobby stores

But I still have my Craftsman toolbox, tools etc, and even a gasoline can that I bought there for my chain saw that I also bought at Sears at the mall so we could clear the land we'd bought for the house (I was 21). But alas, now they seem to have devolved into shoes, clothes, jewelry and accessories, topped off with a food court. Our indoor mall is a ghost town; Sears was replaced by Rural King (the sole bright spot), a northeast US dept store chain, Boscov's, has a second anchor position and isn't bad, Macy's became a U-haul self-storage center, and surprisingly, J. C. Penney is still hanging in there, and there's a Dick's Sporting Goods, but that is literally just about it. Scores of stores are empty, and no wonder, they all sold the same stuff.

Our "college prep" track for math started in 7th grade and went pre-algebra, Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Trig, then Calculus. I almost flunked Algebra 2 due to troubles at home. But I had a really good trig/calc teacher.
Her daughter was in our class, too. A bit awkward sometimes...
We didn't have pre-algrbra. It was Algebra I (8th grade, junior high) then Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-calculus, and Calculus. Pre-calc was advanced trig, but also conic sections, exponentials and logs, limits, sequences and series, and polynomials.

We didn't have pre-algrbra. It was Algebra I (8th grade, junior high) then Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-calculus, and Calculus. Pre-calc was advanced trig, but also conic sections, exponentials and logs, limits, sequences and series, and polynomials.
Fairly similar to ours then (I graduated high school in 1973). 7th grade was pre-algebra.

Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler, Go Blue
Shaft
Superfly
Diamonds are forever
Live and let Die
Man with the Golden Gun
Three Mile Island
SLA shootout in LA
Patty Hearst kidnapped
Stairway to Heaven. Theme of my Senior Prom. 1974
Viet Nam pull out. That was ugly.
Panama Red
Thai Sticks
Apollo 17, last Moon Mission. That pissed me off. I was sure we would have a colony on the Moon and I would get to go.
Tree chopping incident in the DMZ between North and South Korea
I know there is a lot more, but trying to remember this stuff is making my brain hurt.

Malls are gone, what a mess. I figured when malls came in you'd be able to get everything from soup to nuts; the best tools, the best hobby stuff, the best sports stuff, musical instruments, you name it. To my young mind it was supposed to be a place you could get anything. And it started out kinda good; you could get a piano if you'd like, there were a few decent toy stores for kids, but never any hobby stores

But I still have my Craftsman toolbox, tools etc, and even a gasoline can that I bought there for my chain saw that I also bought at Sears at the mall so we could clear the land we'd bought for the house (I was 21). But alas, now they seem to have devolved into shoes, clothes, jewelry and accessories, topped off with a food court. Our indoor mall is a ghost town; Sears was replaced by Rural King (the sole bright spot), a northeast US dept store chain, Boscov's, has a second anchor position and isn't bad, Macy's became a U-haul self-storage center, and surprisingly, J. C. Penney is still hanging in there, and there's a Dick's Sporting Goods, but that is literally just about it. Scores of stores are empty, and no wonder, they all sold the same stuff.

The Mall here still exists, as well as JCP in it. It did have the "Hobby Store" in it but not today as the company "Hobby Store" went by by more than 2 decades ago.

All three of our malls had the "Hobby Store" with a Wall of Rockets. Before then when I was young, "Hobby Store" was in the shopping centers However that Mall is now the last one standing in town, the rest are bull dozed and the land empty* except for the Land that is now an Amazon Shipping Center.

I still can't figure out why an Amazon Warehouse and an Amazon Shipping center are on opposite sides of the town. But at least are connected between two exits of the Ohio Turnpike near them.[ I 80/90]

* the empty land has signs that prevent you from flying or driving models, yet I have seen folks drive R/C Cars on it despite the signs. Not even kites allowed. I've seen no kites, no model airplanes signs in soccer parks as well here.

Last edited:
The malls in Vegas disappeared decades ago. The only one left is the Fashion Show mall between The Mirage and Treasure Island. If you go in there you better have deep pockets.

Speaking of malls, and probably more in the 60's than the 70's, we still had blue laws here in NYS, so the malls had to be closed on Sunday.

Occasionally, my father would take me to a very large mall on the Sunday to launch my rockets. A lot more space than the school yard (but hard asphalt for landing). Sometimes security would stop by, we would explain what we were doing. They generally stayed to watch a launch or two then moved on.

Nowadays many "authority figures" (police officers, firefighters and fire marshals, administrators, etc.) flew model rockets when they were kids. That helps explain why kids flying model rockets in parking lots and school fields today gets little attention. Those of us who cut our teeth on Estes rockets in the 60's remember when it wasn't unusual to get unwanted (and semi-hostile) attention from authority figures. Thank you, Vernon Estes, wherever you are.

They made you do trig? Isn’t that a bit advanced for there average audience?
There is a picture in Stine's book, at least in some of the earlier editions, showing an analog computer for altitude determination, it is pretty much a few protractors with dowels attached to them.

I took trig in high school but I think in my school it was an elective that you took in about grades 11 or 12, and that was before any handheld calculators.

Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler, Go Blue
Shaft
Superfly
Diamonds are forever
Live and let Die
Man with the Golden Gun
Three Mile Island
SLA shootout in LA
Patty Hearst kidnapped
Stairway to Heaven. Theme of my Senior Prom. 1974
Viet Nam pull out. That was ugly.
Panama Red
Thai Sticks
Apollo 17, last Moon Mission. That pissed me off. I was sure we would have a colony on the Moon and I would get to go.
Tree chopping incident in the DMZ between North and South Korea
I know there is a lot more, but trying to remember this stuff is making my brain hurt.
Barry Switzer!85080_h.jpg

Loved the dirt bikes....

My first was a 1975 that was two years old, rode it for two years, traded up for the 1975 MX100 (picture is of a '79, pretty much same bike only the tank graphics were like the GT80s) rode it for two years, traded for a year old Yamaha TT 125, then in 1984 bought a brand new fancy Honda XR250R, the XR was a animal compared to the previous bikes. My buddies and I lived at least 15 miles from the nearest large town and could ride pretty much anywhere we wanted to...and did. Then we moved to the suburbs of Nashville TN, and I couldn't ride as much so I sold my bike. Haven't had a trail bike since partly because I don't have my buddies around to ride with anymore and that was a lot of the fun.
1975_yamaha_gt80_enduro.jpg1980  Yamaha MX100.jpgYamaha_TT_125_1980.jpg1981 Honda XR250R.jpg

I designed the Dillards department store at Galleria at Sunset, and added on to the Dillards store at Meadows mall.
The Meadows mall is long gone. Haven't been to Henderson in years so Galleria might still be there. From Pahrump to the Galleria is 68 miles according to Google and that's not even close. When I looked up how far it was I didn't understand. It's a lot farther than that. It also says an hour and 9 minutes. You can't make I 15 that quick and the mall is 30 minutes to and hour from there depending on traffic and the traffic is horrible. I looked up how far Nellis is from here. It's closer to 100 than the 70 Google says. I asked Google how far it is from Pahrump to the range I worked at and it said 67 miles and it's 55. Google doesn't now what it's talking about. It's cool that you designed Dillards. What other buildings have you done?

Loved the dirt bikes....

This was my first dirt bike (not this particular one, but the same thing). A shocking Christmas present from my folks when I was 10 years old!

My town was still pretty rural at the time, so we rode around a lot like you guys did. We could get over the hills to the next town over without touching any public roads. If we fell off, we just rubbed dirt on it and kept going!

Good times!

1714398867312.png

What other buildings have you done?
In LV area I did the first 4 parts of Summerlin hospital. It has had more added since then to the point that it is even hard for me to recognize it.. In the TV show "CSI" they would show aerial photos of the hospital and at one point I had to look close to figure out the parts I worked on. I also designed the first part of St. Rose hospital in Henderson, it has also grown since then. Both of those were done right about 2000, the Dillards stores were a few years before that.

There is a picture in Stine's book, at least in some of the earlier editions, showing an analog computer for altitude determination, it is pretty much a few protractors with dowels attached to them.

I took trig in high school but I think in my school it was an elective that you took in about grades 11 or 12, and that was before any handheld calculators.
If not already mentioned -- slide rules. We used them in chemistry class.

Remember when a kid bagged your groceries and brought them out to your car for you?

Now I have somebody do my grocery shopping, drive to my house, and bring the bags to my front door. Ah, the good old days. ;)
Soon you will have a drone do it and we’ll never need to talk to anyone again…

Ps I think that there’s a reason so many engineers are introverted, necessity is the mother of invention.

Back