You might be a child in the 70s if:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How? Even then that would require a insane amount of time and skill!
?

it was like, a connector, some discretes, and 8x IC chip sockets.. Wire wrap only needs a peg-board for component mounting.. and wire wrap is pretty simple, just get the right pins! Pretty easy actually..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_wrap

How? Even then that would require a insane amount of time and skill!
No, not really. Not the building part. I don't know if the good doctor designed the board, but wiring it up would take two special skills (the wrapping and some soldering) that are easily learned, and a few hours work, I'm guessing two to eight, depending on the density of the RAM chips.

EDIT: Ninjad

?

it was like, a connector, some discretes, and 8x IC chip sockets.. Wire wrap only needs a peg-board for component mounting.. and wire wrap is pretty simple, just get the right pins! Pretty easy actually..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_wrap
I sort of expected that wire wrap was referring to magnetic core memory.

That's not wrap, it's weave. That still might not be terribly difficult for a hobby scale build (I really don't know), though 16 kB of core memory would be a pretty big board*.

Here's an example that may be in the ballpark of the size and complexity of the board under discussion, though it's missing the edge connector fingers. (Dr., am I about right?)
1714064728288.png

And here's one that is decidedly NOT in the same ballpark:
1714064887784.png

* This shows an 8 kB board:
1714065120389.png

That's not wrap, it's weave. That still might not be terribly difficult for a hobby scale build (I really don't know), though 16 kB of core memory would be a pretty big board*.

Here's an example that may be in the ballpark of the size and complexity of the board under discussion, though it's missing the edge connector fingers. (Dr., am I about right?)
View attachment 642490

And here's one that is decidedly NOT in the same ballpark:
View attachment 642491

* This shows an 8 kB board:
View attachment 642492
I was aware of the difference after his post with the Wikipedia article, my mistake was that I knew a lot more about the AGC than 70s computers so I assumed that magnetic core was still in use then. I was wrong apparently transistor’s were small enough by then to make RAM chips practical.

Ps I guess I should stop underestimating mores law…

@jqavins for discussion, that's perfect! yes a few more components, and a connector.

I had the hand-twirly tool, not the fancy gun.. Although we had one (gun), this was far simpler (and I could do it at home..) still have it, and always mistake if for a small screwdriver!

My wire wrapped DRAM board (4116s) never worked reliably. Too much EMI across the long WW socket pins. My WW SRAM boards worked ok. But only 4k bytes.

Homebrew Z80B machine. 1978?

PS bought most of the parts at Radio Shack!

I was aware of the difference after his post with the Wikipedia article, my mistake was that I knew a lot more about the AGC than 70s computers so I assumed that magnetic core was still in use then. I was wrong apparently transistor’s were small enough by then to make RAM chips practical.
2102 chips were the memory of choice around mid '70s. 1k x 1 bit on each chip. So a 16k-byte board took 16x8=128 individual chips.

2114 chips came out later and they were 1k x 4 bits. Much more sensible :) .

They were static RAM chips so tolerated wire-wrap much better. DRAM came out early '80s I think. 4116 chips. Much more timing and signal integrity-conscious

Since we are talking memories, let's not forget the EPROMs. 2708 devices were 1k x 8 bits. Unfortunately they needed three different power supplies. UV exposure to erase. If you didn't have a special eraser you could put them in the sun for a few hours.

Sanity prevailed and the 2716 (and 27C16, and subsequent devices) were all 5V only. Thank God for small miracles.

2102 chips were the memory of choice around mid '70s. 1k x 1 bit on each chip. So a 16k-byte board took 16x8=128 individual chips.

2114 chips came out later and they were 1k x 4 bits. Much more sensible :) .

They were static RAM chips so tolerated wire-wrap much better. DRAM came out early '80s I think. 4116 chips. Much more timing and signal integrity-conscious

Since we are talking memories, let's not forget the EPROMs. 2708 devices were 1k x 8 bits. Unfortunately they needed three different power supplies. UV exposure to erase. If you didn't have a special eraser you could put them in the sun for a few hours.

Sanity prevailed and the 2716 (and 27C16, and subsequent devices) were all 5V only. Thank God for small miracles.
When I first started having trouble with my foot, back in 2017, I was looking for a "sitting around project". I inventoried and sorted all of the electrical and electronic bits I've accumulated over the years. I've got enough bare parts to build a couple of 6502 computers and mostly-enough for an 1802. Lots of 4116 DRAM, and a bunch of Hitachi 6116 SRAM.

Programming EPROMS - my friend Joel came up with an elegant solution to the EPROMS needing 3 voltages - 5v, 12v, and a "programming" voltage of 27(?). The 5 and 12 he had. The programming voltage he derived from the back EMF of a relay he used to switch the r/w line.

Let’s not forget the Darda Buggy!
You can still get the motors and cars.
I found a website that stocks tracks and parts. Purchased a set. I set it up and everyone played with that thing for hours.
1714102985620.jpeg

2102 chips were the memory of choice around mid '70s.
Kids these days... J/k. I made a 1kx8 SRAM with 8x 2102s. Worked great. Too much work for so little memory.

You never suffered through 1101 and 1103 DRAMs... Neither did I, that was 8008 times, 1973. And 1702 EPROMS. Quartz window, UV lamp. Dodged a bullet there, too. 2716s forever.

Great! I'll be right over! I liked the 1802, unique design.
I just looked at the inventory sheet. I've got an 1802 and a bunch of TMS4016 (2K x 8 bit) of various access times, and some TMS4045-45 450nS (1K x 8 bit). I can make you a deal on a VCP200 Voice Recognition chip.

I just looked at the inventory sheet. I've got an 1802 and a bunch of TMS4016 (2K x 8 bit) of various access times, and some TMS4045-45 450nS (1K x 8 bit). I can make you a deal on a VCP200 Voice Recognition chip.
Very generous, thanks! I'd trade you but I've been giving away stuff. Including SAD1024s in original packaging, Radio Shack ha ha.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh I'll take any you have left!
Yeah they are classic. Better than Echoplex. Somewhere in my rock and roll career I had a Roland with SAD4096 in it, very high quality and very long delays... To go with all of our very long hair and long guitar solos... In the days before "11". The world changed.

(sob)

I really miss the music shows of the 1970s. Captain & Tennille are one of them. The reality TV and game shows of today are no match.

Since we are talking memories, let's not forget the EPROMs. 2708 devices were 1k x 8 bits. Unfortunately they needed three different power supplies. UV exposure to erase.
Or X-rays. Some of the chips, 2716, 2732, maybe others, were also available as write once PROMS, in cheaper plastic packages, under a different part number. As an experiment, and to confirm it was actually the same chip inside, my father and a colleague from The Labs took one to a dentist to expose under his X-ray machine. It was erased, and they could re-burn it. (May have shortened its life, though.)

When I first started having trouble with my foot, back in 2017, I was looking for a "sitting around project". I inventoried and sorted all of the electrical and electronic bits I've accumulated over the years. I've got enough bare parts to build a couple of 6502 computers and mostly-enough for an 1802. Lots of 4116 DRAM, and a bunch of Hitachi 6116 SRAM.
Great! I'll be right over! I liked the 1802, unique design.

More 1802 fans! Hi-dee-ho, neighbors.

Back