You might be a child in the 70s if:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You speak FORTRAN! And you used punch cards!
Aye! Somewhere around 1981, I had to write a quick conversion program to read in magnetic tapes from an obsolete VLSI/CAD file format and output in a new format. I started in FORTRAN on a VAX 11/780. Then I found a compiler for this nifty new "C" language. I finished without punch cards or worrying about column position. (Fast forward to the 2020's, and I cringe worrying about white space in Python!)

Aye! Somewhere around 1981, I had to write a quick conversion program to read in magnetic tapes from an obsolete VLSI/CAD file format and output in a new format. I started in FORTRAN on a VAX 11/780. Then I found a compiler for this nifty new "C" language. I finished without punch cards or worrying about column position. (Fast forward to the 2020's, and I cringe worrying about white space in Python!)

Remember clear rulers you would lay over print out paper that would tell you the column position?

T-square, circle template, lettering template, french curve, 45-45 and 60-30 triangles, pencils of different hardness, rub-on lettering etc. Drafting was the only HS course I failed.:(

Related: making printed circuit boards using rub-on traces and ferric chloride solution. Yes, FeCl3 is still used for etching but a lot of electronics nutz today use persulfate solution or other colorless etchant.

I can't remember the last time I wrote a check. My bank started doing bill pay; at first they mailed checks, now it's all electronic. Other stuff that needs to by paid by check, I go to the bank and get a cashier's check. They're free, and the money comes out of the account immediately (don't have to wait for check to clear to balance account).
I write a lot of checks. Never sign up for auto pay. Sooner or later it gets F'd up and it's a real PITA to get it fixed. All on line accounts go through a credit card No one has access to my bank account (except Social Security).
I have this album (on vinyl) and it still has the rolling paper :)

For a while Jack In The Box had these disposable ash trays that were stamped out of thin aluminum. I used to take them home and roll them flat for use in various modelling projects!
How about the coke spoon/coffee stirrer at MickyD's?

I worked selling electronics in a shop from when I was 15 years old. Started there in '77. I remember selling the ZX-80, and later the ZX-81 computers by Sinclair. We didn't sell them in kit form. They used to crash a lot and you had to key in the program again. The "keyboard" had terrible tactile touch too.

I had already built the computer that came out in Radio Electronics magazine in early '78. Much more capable than the ZX80, but you had to solder it all together yourself. Chips etc onto a bare PCB, build power supply, modify b&w TV for direct video input, make an ASCII encoder for the keyboard, etc
The kit version of the ZX80 was sold by a company called "Micro Ace", it was $149 for the 1K kit. Not having any money at the time, of course I bought the kit, and proceeded to add some hacks to it, including another 1K. All of the Basic keywords were entered using one-key tokens... it was actually kind of a pain in the butt if you actually knew how to type, but I can see how it allowed them to take the parser out of their ROM (which probably saved a few hundred bytes).

1713888252273.png

I mentioned that above. It's even more obscure than rotary phone!
Using the headlight dimmer switch, floor mounted or column mounted, seems to be a lost art. Most drivers around here just leave them on high permanently.

Just last night I had some AHole following me with their LED headlamps on high beam. The inside of my truck was lit up so brightly that at first I thought I was about to "beamed" up by a UFO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back