Wireless Launch Controller wanted

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc9rod

NAR L2 STEM educator
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a simple basic 4 or 5 channel wireless launch system? Looking for for use with STEM education.

I'm not sure what you mean by "simple basic". By definition, multi-channel wireless launch systems are nether simple nor basic. They have to have a lot of safety features built in that transcends simple. I've built my own wired relay system (from scratch) for a 4 position launch pad, and even that wasn't all that simple. If you want simple as in easy to use, that is available - for a price. Wilson F/X is the standard for a lot of clubs > Wilson F/X Digital Launch Control Systems.

I've looked extensively for wireless designs to build my own and I haven't found any. I'm sure if I dug deeper I could probably find some arduino based designs, but that would be more work (i.e., teaching myself a bunch of new stuff including programming) than I want to put into it.

Does anyone know of a simple basic 4 or 5 channel wireless launch system? Looking for for use with STEM education.
Are you intending to build one or purchase a ready made one. If the latter, then DaHabes suggestion of considering a WFX system is a good way to go. Their LCU-4W and PBU-4W combo would be a very reliable system.

I'm not sure what you mean by "simple basic". By definition, multi-channel wireless launch systems are nether simple nor basic. They have to have a lot of safety features built in that transcends simple. I've built my own wired relay system (from scratch) for a 4 position launch pad, and even that wasn't all that simple. If you want simple as in easy to use, that is available - for a price. Wilson F/X is the standard for a lot of clubs > Wilson F/X Digital Launch Control Systems.

I've looked extensively for wireless designs to build my own and I haven't found any. I'm sure if I dug deeper I could probably find some arduino based designs, but that would be more work (i.e., teaching myself a bunch of new stuff including programming) than I want to put into it.
By simple I mean not a lot of bells and whistles. real simple to operate by school kids.

Are you intending to build one or purchase a ready made one. If the latter, then DaHabes suggestion of considering a WFX system is a good way to go. Their LCU-4W and PBU-4W combo would be a very reliable system.
I would be up for building one. Is there a kit available or Proven design schematics?

I would be up for building one. Is there a kit available or Proven design schematics?

I read every thread and post on the forum about non-commercial wireless launchers. All are scratch built, as far as I can tell. No kits.

Here is mine. It was a good learning experience. Included are schematics and a parts list. It uses el cheapo wireless receivers from Amazon. Rather than traditional automotive relays, I used solid-state optocoupler relays.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/wireless-relay-diy-launch-controller-build-thread.170114/

Last edited:
Like DaHabes said, I would also recommend the Wilson F/X system. My local club has them, they're very reliable and easy to set up. They also make pad controllers for hybrids if that's your thing.

I will add, if you're expecting kids to use it, I'd definitely go with an off-the-self solution.

This unit uses 4 AA batteries - 6 volts. Probably OK for LPR, but I wouldn't trust it for composite motors. That, plus the price on the vendor website is $195 vs. $19.85 on e-bay. Beware cheap Chinese knockoffs...

https://www.bilusocn.com/BILUSOCN-1...-wireless-pyrotechnic-equipment-p2564325.html
I have a system like this. It has worked with homemade starters where the nichrome element is fairly short and the composition is sensitive; it did not fire multiple starters simultaneously. Several feet of wire, with clips, will be needed when using the short motor-starters provided with Estes and Quest motors. The pad unit must be kept some distance from the pad, to avoid exhaust gases corroding and ruining the pad unit. DAMHIKT:oops:

Great caution must be observed when using this kind of system around kids, especially if they are handling the remote. There is no safety interlock aside from removing the batteries from the remote. And kids WILL push buttons even if they're admonished not to do so.

Contact Wilson they my make you up a simple system
Well now that you mention it....
I was thinking about something along those lines, and put down a schematic for a 4 channel wireless only solid state pad box.
This is only some preliminary schematic but the idea is some form of kit at this point...
Dan

Attachments

• Wireless Four Channel Pad Board Solid State Rev A.pdf
    157.1 KB · Views: 2
"Rocket Rev." here.......just in case you were still looking for a very basic system that still has all the necessities to keep it safe.

As Voyager 1 mentioned, here at Wilson F/X, we make a four-pad wireless system that it easy enough for students to use, WITH ADULT SUPERVISION. The launch controller has a removable key switch, four individual pad-select toggle switches, and a launch button. I don't know how much more simple to use you want. The four-pad pad-box has five push button switches, one each for the four pad ignition outputs to test continuity and the fifth does a voltage check of your battery at the pad. There is no way for the pad-select switches to "fire" any kind of igniter. Only the controller can do that. And it is a wireless system capable of launching rockets from up to several thousand feet away line-of-sight.

You will need two 12v batteries, one for the controller and one for the pad-box.

We have sold many system to educational groups around the world.

More questions?

Brad Wilson

Back