• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Windows geeks: Silly performance monitor logging question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

For some reason I haven't been able to find a good answer via googling on this.

I've got an niche application that has a memory leak. I'm working with the developer to track down what's going on. It only leaks "sometimes" and "for some people." Developer believes it's a driver problem on my side (I'm running a plain vanilla computer running only windows 10 and this application, nothing else).

So I have wanted to log and graph memory usage by this application's process over time (measured in hours/days/week scales), measuring it by the minute as part of my reporting into the dev.

It has been a long time (over a decade) since I've had to do anything like this but I fired up Performance Monitor and with a bit of googling was able to set up a data collector for the relevant process' "private bytes," and get it to the point where it shows it was collecting data.

Here's my problem and the question: I am unable to see the data graphs (or access the relevant log file) while the data is collecting. I have to stop the collector to be able to access the file/graph. Is this normal? I could swear back in the day I could watch this in real time and just leave the graph up; it would show new data and either compress the graph timescale as collection went on or would scroll the graph. But I'm completely unable to interact with the data while it is collecting.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just how the tool works? Perhaps I was using a different tool. I'm assuming I'm in "user error" territory on this but surprised that in a bit of searching online I don't see this reported as a problem.

Your input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Did you try turning it off and on again?
Good one, Chuck!

Yeah. I've been fighting with this problem for a year, finally got fed up. It's the intermittent nature of the problem that drives me batty. I thought I had it licked about two months ago, was perfectly fine for about 7 weeks, then recurred with a vengeance.

I have recently found a measure that keeps it at bay but which isn't a fix, more of a workaround. But this thing mocks me, and I must solve it.

Computers used to be my strength but as I age, they become more frustrating.
Good one, Chuck!

Yeah. I've been fighting with this problem for a year, finally got fed up. It's the intermittent nature of the problem that drives me batty. I thought I had it licked about two months ago, was perfectly fine for about 7 weeks, then recurred with a vengeance.

I have recently found a measure that keeps it at bay but which isn't a fix, more of a workaround. But this thing mocks me, and I must solve it.

Back