Two ideas for paid projects

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian A

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
1. Featherweight electronics repair:

Since I started Featherweight Altimeters, I have been repairing products by request, and I find I'm not very good at it. I can fix the boards, but only when I remember to do it and where I put them. When I do make time to do repairs, it takes effort and focus that I need to be spending on finishing existing projects. By far the most common need for repair is when someone reverses polarity on a device, which can usually be repaired by just replacing a SOT23-5 regulator, using a hot air rework tool and some magnification. Sometimes there are broken antenna connectors that are repairable. If someone is interested in taking these on, I would just refer people who ask me about repairs to this person, and they would charge what would make it worthwhile to them.

2. Porting Matlab plotting scripts to Python:

While the Featherweight UI app for the Blue Raven and the tracker both have graphing within the app, it would be nice to be able to plot data on a larger computer screen and have better mouse-driven controls for zooming, etc. I have a nice set of plotting capability that runs on Matlab that I would like to make more widely available. One option for me is to get a Matlab package that would let me export this capability into executables that anyone can run without buying Matlab. But this package would cost several thousand dollars per year. I think there are Python plotting packages available that could do the same thing without any ongoing fees, and if I had the time and inclination, I would do this myself. I'm thinking about posting a project on UpWork to convert my Matlab plotting tools to Python-based executables that would run on Windows and Macs. I would pay $50/hour for someone who is qualified. It could be a good summer project for an engineering student who is into rocketry. Access to Matlab and fluency in Python would be required.

Last edited:
2. Porting Matlab plotting scripts to Python:
One option for me is to get a Matlab package that would let me export this capability into executables that anyone can run without buying Matlab.

I use Matplotlib. It uses pretty much the same syntax and function calls as Matlab but it is a python library. And it is free. I think the version I am using even came with the python installation I am using. Also see: https://matplotlib.org/ It makes porting Matlab scripts to Python very straight forward.

By the way, speaking of Matlab and Python, there is also another very handy Python library that is very "Matlab like" in that it has tons and tons of numerical processing functions much like Matlab does. Most of them are also vectorized so they can operate on vectors or matrices just like Matlab does. It is called NumPy. It is also open source and free to use. See: https://numpy.org/

By the way, speaking of Matlab and Python, there is also another very handy Python library that is very "Matlab like" in that it has tons and tons of numerical processing functions much like Matlab does. Most of them are also vectorized so they can operate on vectors or matrices just like Matlab does. It is called NumPy. It is also open source and free to use. See: https://numpy.org/
I vote for numpy!

I have a LOT of Python scripts on my daily driver (Linux). Numpy is the most common numerical package used by them.

Back