Wildman Acquiring Composite warehouse Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to paint mine anyway—at least eventually—so I have never really cared what color it is. Just take my money. It does help with injecting fillets to be able to see if it flowed well, but I can see that with the red. Black no so much. With black I just had to rely on experience to know that it flowed adequately.

Overall, I’m really pleased Tim is doing this. It really doesn’t take away a supplier for me because I was never going to buy from such an unreliable source. And it expands the product line of the source of nearly all my fiberglass rockets.

OMG, how can some people even go outside to fly rockets?? You might get a grass cut on your little toe! Reminds me of the boy in the bubble movie.
7c0fa689-1f7e-4db2-bbc6-1728f4a63f35_text.gif

I am currently moving and did not have a chance to reply. I am one of the customers who only wants natural color fiberglass. I agree it is pre mature but I can give my two cents as something to consider.

I view the dye as completely unnecessary and I avoid it when possible.

1. I worry the dye could add some toxicity or carcinogens to any already precarious material from a health and safety angle. I try to wear PPE but it is far from perfect so why introduce extra hazards.

I understand the dye might be the least dangerous ingredient in a tube but still, why add it? (If you could disclose what the dye is or provide an MSDS that would alleviate my concern.)

2. The dye could weaken the resin if not added correctly. It’s another ingredient that needs to be “done right”.

3. It adds mess. When I clean up from a project I often use solvents and the dye leaves nasty stains.

This is just my opinion and none of this is a show stopper for me. I wish you luck in getting the equipment up and running and excited for your success.

I got news for you buddy...
1b7048e671ff1b3856524161f413e0d4.jpg

I got news for you buddy...
I think you are understanding my post. Why *add* something that is unnecessary and *might* be problematic from a health/safety and strength perspective? As a customer if I can avoid it, I will. If that is the only choice I will deal with it. As I said, it is not a big deal, but is seems odd that it is there in the first place.

I think you are understanding my post. Why *add* something that is unnecessary and *might* be problematic from a health/safety and strength perspective? As a customer if I can avoid it, I will. If that is the only choice I will deal with it. As I said, it is not a big deal, but is seems odd that it is there in the first place.
violin-tiny.gif

No Tim, folks have simply given up trying too by undyed from you. With your purchase of CW, since they offered undyed, my hope was what would change. :-(
I think we both made our preferences clear and lets see how this goes. @WILDMANRS has a lot of work ahead and hopefully Tim and his team can get the tooling running and make parts in any color.

Sooo. You've bought the mandrels, but Curtis will need them to finish off the current round of orders he is responsible for and need to be completed. Curtis does not have a good reputation for fulfilling orders so it could be years before you have them and can produce, if he has to complete outstanding orders.

What's a realistic time scale for you to be in possession of mandrels and manufacturing independently of Curtis?

Sooo. You've bought the mandrels, but Curtis will need them to finish off the current round of orders he is responsible for and need to be completed. Curtis does not have a good reputation for fulfilling orders so it could be years before you have them and can produce, if he has to complete outstanding orders.

What's a realistic time scale for you to be in possession of mandrels and manufacturing independently of Curtis?poss
Possession at the end of the week

Red is kind of Tim’s signature color. I can understand why that would be the “normal stock” color. I don’t see the big deal. I can see through it enough to check internals. Shine a light, dampen with alcohol, higher the proof the better😏 and call it a day.

Just seeing this now, congratulations Tim, and thank you for your dedication to the rocketry community. This community would not be the same without all you do for us in so many aspects of rocketry. I am certain you will only keep advancing this community and making it more fun and available for new members! With this information, I plan on spending a heck of a lot more money buying from you from now on.

I have a few questions though,

1. Will the Wildman Club get special discounts in the near or far future?
2. Will you honor the Composite Warehouse discounts to university teams?

We cannot thank you enough Tim!

This thread certainly reinforces the adage that no good deed goes unpunished.

For my part, I'll be happy to deal with Tim in the future instead of playing Curtis Roulette, regardless of the default color (which I'd expect to be red, since it's been a trademark of Wildman tubing for quite a while).

*shrug* If I don't like the color it comes in, I just paint it, and I never buy rocket tubes assuming that I'm going to be able to see the inside easily.

I could see myself ordering a special color once or twice if it's available, but I'm not going to have much more than a bit of disappointment if it turns out it doesn't make sense to offer it. I would like a blue fiberglass rocket one of these days but if it doesn't happen, it is what it is.
Again, it has nothing to do with color.

This thread certainly reinforces the adage that no good deed goes unpunished.

For my part, I'll be happy to deal with Tim in the future instead of playing Curtis Roulette, regardless of the default color (which I'd expect to be red, since it's been a trademark of Wildman tubing for quite a while).
No one is being "punished", simply communicating to Tim what some (more than one) of his customers prefer. He does want to sell more G12 not less does he not? (rhetorical)

My reasons are more theoretical than perceived. Except for causing stains which are “real”, I have no evidence the dye causes any harm. I am in a position of ignorance and maybe it is a functional part of the resin. I doubt that though and suspect it is an aesthetic additive which to me only has a downside.
Maybe Tim can comment more and give some information.

Alex, yep, there is no functional reason to dye it, only aesthetics if you like red. If you don't like the undyed translucent "color" then paint it.

No one is being "punished", simply communicating to Tim what some (more than one) of his customers prefer. He does want to sell more G12 not less does he not? (rhetorical)
I’m sure if he had endless room for storage, endless time to run multiple different varieties, and a big wallet to sit on the expense of all the product, he might just be more inclined to do something like that. Also think about all the different product numbers to keep up with. Seems like a big headache.

Back