Why doesn't my paper/cardboard tube catch fire?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, when ejection charge fires, it is hot enough to

Melt a parachute if there isn't enough wadding.
Burn through Kevlar if attached just in front of motor mount (at least thin Kevlar)
For zero delay motors, the burn through sends hot gas sufficient to light the sustainer.

So why doesn't it light the tube on fire? I'm guessing it is because it is a very short lived burst of fire, but I've always wondered about it.

Regarding staging, is the flashpoint for the propellant in the nozzle of the sustainer far lower than for paper/cardboard?

Paper can handle much more heat than a lot of plastics, though maybe not Kevlar. Maybe that shiny coating is waterglass. I'd guess that the part of the Kevlar that is heat damaged sticks up so that the velocity around it is pretty high and the boundary layer thin. I don't know what the flashpoints of the propellants are. In the case of Estes motors, I understand they're black powder. Black powder HAS to be easy to set off, or they wouldn't use it in things like flintlocks. In any case, if it wasn't, I'm sure Estes would add something in that first layer to make sure it was. I dont' know just how hard Estes smashes the stuff, but if it's still granulated, heating one granule to ignition is probably easier than heating a smooth surface.

It would be interesting to see if a piece of ordinary, uncoated paper pasted to the side of the tube would get scorched. Probably a good idea if it's a very small piece, and maybe on top of something more fire resistant.

Last edited:
FWIW my Priority Cinco after the last flight was smoldering inside. (Made from a Priority Mail cardboard box).
Had to quench it with my can of seltzer water.
It had gone through many launches prior though.

So why doesn't it light the tube on fire?

Who says it doesn't? I have a 7-engine Fat Boy I'm going to have to rebuild before I fly it again. Apparently the heat of seven ejection charges going off at about the same time was a bit too much. If I can remember, I'll take pictures when I'm more awake.

Can you get the answer just by watching the movie Fahrenheit 451? Why bother reading a depressing book when you can stream it on your personal device? Simulation is so much easier than going to the range and it's modern, instant gratification. Launch virtually in the comfort and safety of your own home. No CATOS or hibachied tubes actually smoldering or burning away on the ground. Relax, no failures and receive tremendous virtual accolades to appease rocketry desires both subtle and gross.

It would be interesting to see if a piece of ordinary, uncoated paper pasted to the side of the tube would get scorched.
Like the trifold shock cord attachment for shock cords like Estes rockets use?

Meanwhile, I flew a rocket using a Quest 24mm Q-Jet. After recovery, the body tube was severely scorched to the point it distorted the tube and the external paint bubbled. Not certain if there was any actual fire but it definitely got hot

1713098029602.jpeg

Watched on yesterday do this. LOC IV on an I motor started the upper part of the motor tube smoldering. Wondered from the ground why it had such a long lasting smoke trail. Eventually the shock cord melted through. Two Purdue girls recovered both parts and we could see what happened.

I'm guessing that it has to do with lack of sufficient oxygen to sustain the rapid oxidation.

If you were to grind up the cardboard tube into fine dust and subject it to the same ejection charge, it imagine it would burn up pretty fast.

So why isn't there enough oxygen? Well, the ejection charge could be displacing much of it. There's also the fact that alot of soot is immediately covering much of the innner ccardboard tube, which will prevent the cardboard from getting the oxygen. Finally, the surface area of the cardboard is minimal. So it's much harder for it to "catch" fire and stay lit. This is one reason why when building a fire with sticks, it's much easier to sustain the flame when you turn it into a feather stick:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feather_stick

Time is probably the big factor. How fast can heat transfer? How fast can you get a reaction?

You can easily pass your hand through a candle flame. How slowly before you get burned? How slowly must you move a piece of paper through the flame before it catches fire. Card stock? Paper glued to cardstock? How slowly must you move a piece of chute plastic before it melts?

As @mh9162013 says, availability of oxygen is probably a factor in how much time it takes - paper needs oxygen (which takes time) to catch fire. Plastic doesn't need oxygen to melt.

Last edited:
While widely used everywhere, the term “cardboard tube” is a misnomer. Cardboard consists of three kraft layers with the central layer corrugated.

Its distinctive brown color, high strength, bleaching ability, longer fiber length, make it an attractive choice.

The chemicals used during the pulp phase can impart a pretty good heat resistance.

Plus the adhesive used can impart positive attributes to kraft paper.

The cardboard tube is actually a kraft paper tube. Kraft paper comes in different weights/densities. #17 lb seems to be the sweet spot used by pyro heads.

Of course not all tubes are made from kraft paper.

Last edited:
Also, lest not forget , once nose come blows you now have a nice amount of air/wind blowing thru the tube to put anything out. Tube may have a coating on the inside and the parachute really melts from hot particles of burning ejection charge which is why you see specific points where it melted. Paper is harder to ignite especially thickness of the tube dissipating the heat.

Kevlar, and aramid fibers in general, work to protect against burning by charring. Since the threads char, they lose nearly all their strength. Once your kevlar line shows signs of charring, its time to test/replace it. Kevlar, nomex, etc.all work that way.

I think it a matter of thermal mass. The gas products and burning particles of the black power charge are quite hot, but do not have enough total energy to raise the heavier mass of the paper tube to the ignition point. A gram of black powder only produces a gram of gas, whereas the paper tube is many times that mass. Then there is also the matter of thermal transfer, the hot gasses only have a fraction of a second to transfer heat, and most of the heat ends up going out the end of the tube when the nose cone pods off.

Whereas the thin fabric of the nylon or plastic parachute has very little thermal mass, so it hits the ignition (or melting) temperature almost instantly.

As an example, consider this - you can pass the flame of a match or lighter over the paper tube for a second or two, and not ignite it. But the parachute will melt or burn instantly. There is not enough thermal mass to absorb the heat, so the thin fabric hits ignition temperature almost immediately.

Probably the same principle as blowing out an oil well fire. Setting off TNT next to the fire usually works, but not always.

Sometimes the tube gets the consistency of a burnt microwave burrito.

Why doesn't Estes Ejection Wadding burn easily? Because it has one or more chemicals (likely including baking soda) added to what is probably ordinary toilet tissue, that makes igniting it difficult. Makes sense that their body tubes also get a similar treatment in the manufacturing process.

Like the trifold shock cord attachment for shock cords like Estes rockets use?

Meanwhile, I flew a rocket using a Quest 24mm Q-Jet. After recovery, the body tube was severely scorched to the point it distorted the tube and the external paint bubbled. Not certain if there was any actual fire but it definitely got hot

View attachment 640570
Ironically, I had that happen with the old 18 mm Quest black powder motors. I think the casings were thinner than the Estes motors, and I remember the motor casings “felt” hotter. The white paint on the body tube over the CASING both bubbled and browned.

I’ve seen this video before of rocket motors filmed on a test stand

there is a flame that extends out the forward end of the motor after the charge goes off. Or at least in a static motor test, WHEN THERE IS AIR AROUND THE MOTOR, that may not be there after the charge goes off.

But it also hit me, the motor CASING for black powder motors is made of paper. And the inside of the motor has to be the hottest part of the rocket for the whole flight. So a tightly wrapped paper cylinder can clearly take a lot of heat before it catches fire or even fails. Plastic and nylon chutes seem much less tolerant of even short exposures to heat. Kinda wonder if they made a really thin lightweight Nomex chute if that would work, wouldn't even need wadding.

Tried to look at stuff on flashpoints for paper and black powder (good call from @Daddyisabar on Fahrenheit 451, I'd forgotten the rationale for the number in the title---although I didn't think it was THAT depressing a book. I liked Ray Bradbury, but he was a bit dark at times.) In any case, the flashpoints for paper and black powder aren't that different, so that's not it.

I think the points raised above are all factors, so thanks guys for the ideas.

A big one is TIME. Assuming the nose cone, chute, cord, and wadding all come out promptly, the duration of exposure to the heat is extremely short. I am not sure why black powder lights so fast (maybe because it has it's own oxidizer?), but I've seen igniters butted up against cardboard and at most it makes a char mark, but doesn't physically light the cardboard on fire, while certainly the same thing DOES ignite the motor. So it takes more time to catch paper on fire then it does for black powder.

Concentration also may be a factor. I've done some pop pods where I used an 18 mm motor inside a BT-20, put a couple BT-20 to BT-5 centering rings inside as a combined motor block and adapter, and run the BT-5 the length of the rocket. (Aside, @lakeroadster , I really had a hard time packing recovery gear between a -5 and a -20, and even struggled a bit with -20 to -50, maybe I was trying to use to large a chute). Anyhow, while a BT-5 doesn't seem to have a problem with charring with 13mm motors, it DOES have a problem when you use it to vent an 18 mm. After 3 flights (sometimes after 1!) I could see something wasn't right, and when I cut them open the inner tube had been burned through. Same thing when I tried this for a 24mm motor venting through a BT-20. My solution has been to put a rolled up aluminum can section inside, which always annoyed the heck out of der Micromeister (sorely missed still!), since it was metal and, in his opinion, violated the safety code.

Also interesting is the comment about the smoothness of the inside of the tube. In my experience, and I think in some of the pics @Ronz Rocketz has shown, when there is chute charring often it is very localized, like a chunk of hot clay/propellent from a non-zero delay motor hit it and stuck to it for a moment. Some of my early "no-motor-mount" Balsa helicopters would get localized burn marks on the inside, and two of them actually DID catch fire just forward of the motor position, so now I put Mylar tape or aluminum foil over the exposed internal balsa for these models=== AND I can see where the hot spots are over the tape and foil.) So the burning particles of a non-zero delay motor don't "catch" on the tube.

Other comment was on oxygen, likely the hot gases and propellant particles attached to the clay use up most or all of the oxygen in the tube on their way out, and there isn't much force to suck fresh air back INTO the tube after deployment, so the internal tube environment after deployment is NOT conducive to "catching fire." This is in contrast to my helicopter balsa blades, which upon deployment are actually IN the wind.

If there is something helpful to these thoughts, it might be the Kevlar shock cord failures. I've never liked the TriFold mounts, mainly because they put a "bump" on the internal tube surface that may "catch" the chute or wadding on their way out the front. So I LIKE motor mount attachments, but it DOES place the shock cord nearly directly in the path of the ejection charge (as opposed to the tube walls which are NEVER DIRECTLY in the path of the ejection charge.) I have yet to emulate the smart people who put heat shrink tubing around the tail end of the cord, but seems like a good idea.

Why doesn't Estes Ejection Wadding burn easily? Because it has one or more chemicals (likely including baking soda) added to what is probably ordinary toilet tissue, that makes igniting it difficult. Makes sense that their body tubes also get a similar treatment in the manufacturing process.
I have read that a combination of borax and boric acid will do the trick.

It would be interesting to see what waterglass on the wadding would do.

It would also be interesting to see what baking powder or something like that would do if you put some on top of the top cap of the motor. Maybe a cooler but more powerful ejection charge?

Ironically, I had that happen with the old 18 mm Quest black powder motors. I think the casings were thinner than the Estes motors, and I remember the motor casings “felt” hotter. The white paint on the body tube over the CASING both bubbled and browned.

I’ve seen this video before of rocket motors filmed on a test stand

there is a flame that extends out the forward end of the motor after the charge goes off. Or at least in a static motor test, WHEN THERE IS AIR AROUND THE MOTOR, that may not be there after the charge goes off.

But it also hit me, the motor CASING for black powder motors is made of paper. And the inside of the motor has to be the hottest part of the rocket for the whole flight. So a tightly wrapped paper cylinder can clearly take a lot of heat before it catches fire or even fails. Plastic and nylon chutes seem much less tolerant of even short exposures to heat. Kinda wonder if they made a really thin lightweight Nomex chute if that would work, wouldn't even need wadding.

Tried to look at stuff on flashpoints for paper and black powder (good call from @Daddyisabar on Fahrenheit 451, I'd forgotten the rationale for the number in the title---although I didn't think it was THAT depressing a book. I liked Ray Bradbury, but he was a bit dark at times.) In any case, the flashpoints for paper and black powder aren't that different, so that's not it.

I think the points raised above are all factors, so thanks guys for the ideas.

A big one is TIME. Assuming the nose cone, chute, cord, and wadding all come out promptly, the duration of exposure to the heat is extremely short. I am not sure why black powder lights so fast (maybe because it has it's own oxidizer?), but I've seen igniters butted up against cardboard and at most it makes a char mark, but doesn't physically light the cardboard on fire, while certainly the same thing DOES ignite the motor. So it takes more time to catch paper on fire then it does for black powder.

Concentration also may be a factor. I've done some pop pods where I used an 18 mm motor inside a BT-20, put a couple BT-20 to BT-5 centering rings inside as a combined motor block and adapter, and run the BT-5 the length of the rocket. (Aside, @lakeroadster , I really had a hard time packing recovery gear between a -5 and a -20, and even struggled a bit with -20 to -50, maybe I was trying to use to large a chute). Anyhow, while a BT-5 doesn't seem to have a problem with charring with 13mm motors, it DOES have a problem when you use it to vent an 18 mm. After 3 flights (sometimes after 1!) I could see something wasn't right, and when I cut them open the inner tube had been burned through. Same thing when I tried this for a 24mm motor venting through a BT-20. My solution has been to put a rolled up aluminum can section inside, which always annoyed the heck out of der Micromeister (sorely missed still!), since it was metal and, in his opinion, violated the safety code.

Also interesting is the comment about the smoothness of the inside of the tube. In my experience, and I think in some of the pics @Ronz Rocketz has shown, when there is chute charring often it is very localized, like a chunk of hot clay/propellent from a non-zero delay motor hit it and stuck to it for a moment. Some of my early "no-motor-mount" Balsa helicopters would get localized burn marks on the inside, and two of them actually DID catch fire just forward of the motor position, so now I put Mylar tape or aluminum foil over the exposed internal balsa for these models=== AND I can see where the hot spots are over the tape and foil.) So the burning particles of a non-zero delay motor don't "catch" on the tube.

Other comment was on oxygen, likely the hot gases and propellant particles attached to the clay use up most or all of the oxygen in the tube on their way out, and there isn't much force to suck fresh air back INTO the tube after deployment, so the internal tube environment after deployment is NOT conducive to "catching fire." This is in contrast to my helicopter balsa blades, which upon deployment are actually IN the wind.

If there is something helpful to these thoughts, it might be the Kevlar shock cord failures. I've never liked the TriFold mounts, mainly because they put a "bump" on the internal tube surface that may "catch" the chute or wadding on their way out the front. So I LIKE motor mount attachments, but it DOES place the shock cord nearly directly in the path of the ejection charge (as opposed to the tube walls which are NEVER DIRECTLY in the path of the ejection charge.) I have yet to emulate the smart people who put heat shrink tubing around the tail end of the cord, but seems like a good idea.

Several years ago, I forgot the deflector so used an aluminum can. Melted right through it but didn't melt the plastic stand so it did it's job.

This was the most satisfying Mini Mean Machine ejection. Sounded like an umbrella opening. I haven't been able to reproduce it since and the MMM is long gone.

Several years ago, I forgot the deflector so used an aluminum can. Melted right through it but didn't melt the plastic stand so it did it's job.

This was the most satisfying Mini Mean Machine ejection. Sounded like an umbrella opening. I haven't been able to reproduce it since and the MMM is long gone.

Not surprised that direct jet melted it. I think Gary showed a case where a launch lug stuck and the motor melted through a standard Estes plate. I’ve personally seen that with a D12.

I still feel comfortable with using aluminum in my downsized motor pods. The duration of exposure is really short.

The tube is smooth on the inside making it difficult for anything to stay in contact with it for a long period of time. A parachute, Nomex or dog barf can all have folds or a rough surface that can trap a burning ember much or easily than the tube.

Makes sense that their body tubes also get a similar treatment in the manufacturing process.
No, the tubes are not specially treated. They are made from regular paper.

I think the reason the tubes don't usually burn is explained by a number of things, most of which have already been suggested. The burning gases and particles don't carry much heat, they don't linger on the paper for very long, and paper requires a rather high temperature to ignite.

Use a first generation 18mm SU AT D21 and watch your Kraft tubing hibachi. Still burning propellant out the top after ejection.

The little boy from the old Fahrenheit 451 move at the launch: "They are using an 18mm Single Use AeroTech D21! Call the firemen. There's going to be a fire!"

Not surprised that direct jet melted it. I think Gary showed a case where a launch lug stuck and the motor melted through a standard Estes plate. I’ve personally seen that with a D12.

I still feel comfortable with using aluminum in my downsized motor pods. The duration of exposure is really short.
It's surprising how much embers comes out of a BP motor. Composites not so much. Don't get to see much of the ejection charge. I'll have to try it sometime in slomo.

Back