Where's the Nuts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Campbell

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just visited the Estes page for their 1010 rail buttons. I think it's great Estes is coming into the 21st century with rail buttons for their PS II rockets, I couldn't help but notice the lack of nuts to secure the rail buttons with. The look like the same rail buttons Apogee sells. However, Apogee includes weld nuts for their buttons. So, do we need to head to the hardware store for nuts for the Estes rail buttons?

https://estesrockets.com/products/1...6Uizc735uqVydKAJNdPp38UGnTvy_xgEbSsM78.WF3xvM

I just visited the Estes page for their 1010 rail buttons. I think it's great Estes is coming into the 21st century with rail buttons for their PS II rockets, I couldn't help but notice the lack of nuts to secure the rail buttons with. The look like the same rail buttons Apogee sells. However, Apogee includes weld nuts for their buttons. So, do we need to head to the hardware store for nuts for the Estes rail buttons?

https://estesrockets.com/products/1010-rail-buttons?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=campaign&utm_campaign=Email 1 -Rail Buttons & Sanding Paper&_kx=BCvYO6Uizc735uqVydKAJNdPp38UGnTvy_xgEbSsM78.WF3xvM
Probably engineered by the same AI that wrote the description…

@Rob Campbell On a more serious note... I'd probably use wood screws into a small piece of plywood epoxied on the inside of the airframe. You could also hammer some tee nuts into the plywood and use the provided screws. Or you can grab weld nuts. I've done all of these on various rockets...sometimes weld nuts for the fwd button and ply for the aft button.

https://estesrockets.com/products/1010-rail-buttons?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=campaign&utm_campaign=Email 1 -Rail Buttons & Sanding Paper&_kx=BCvYO6Uizc735uqVydKAJNdPp38UGnTvy_xgEbSsM78.WF3xvM

I've never put nuts on my rail buttons. On L1 and lower rockets just used epoxy glue to the threads into the body tube. On larger Rockets put them in the centering rings and epoxied them into the hole drilled in the centering ring.

Use a tool to tap a hole in the Cardboard body tube just smaller then the Rail Button Screw. Put Epoxy on the threads exposed and tap the screw into the hole in the body tube till snug. Wipe off any excess epoxy that flow out from under the button.

Last edited:
I watched a highpower rocket launched Sunday that had a second set of rail buttons superglued on top of the original buttons because the original buttons didn't clear one of the design features on the body so apparently it doesn't take much to hold the rail buttons on.

I think launch lugs are easier- I have a lot of MPR and HPR with them but they haven't been launched in 20 years. I'll have to retrofit buttons to them. I think I'll try to install contoured bits of plywood inside the bodies with T-nuts in them.

@Rob Campbell On a more serious note... I'd probably use wood screws into a small piece of plywood epoxied on the inside of the airframe. You could also hammer some tee nuts into the plywood and use the provided screws. Or you can grab weld nuts. I've done all of these on various rockets...sometimes weld nuts for the fwd button and ply for the aft button.
You can tap wood and use the original screws if you want.

I watched a highpower rocket launched Sunday that had a second set of rail buttons superglued on top of the original buttons because the original buttons didn't clear one of the design features on the body so apparently it doesn't take much to hold the rail buttons on.

I think launch lugs are easier- I have a lot of MPR and HPR with them but they haven't been launched in 20 years. I'll have to retrofit buttons to them. I think I'll try to install contoured bits of plywood inside the bodies with T-nuts in them.
On my Estes PSII kists like the Nike Smoke, Ventris and Doorknob, I just used a dab of 5 minute epoxy to secure the rail buttons to the side. All have taken up to I motors with no issues. The Super Big Bertha I am building now will have buttons epoxied on as well.

On my Estes PSII kists like the Nike Smoke, Ventris and Doorknob, I just used a dab of 5 minute epoxy to secure the rail buttons to the side. All have taken up to I motors with no issues. The Super Big Bertha I am building now will have buttons epoxied on as well.

The 4" Rocket being launched on an M1400 in my Avatar has 1500 buttons sanded to contour of the body tube. The screws were fitted/trimmed so that they are flush with the inside of the ID of the body tube. They are then JB weld Epoxied to the body tube. [Blue tape on the inside of the body tube was used to keep the epoxy from leaking into the inside of the tube, then removed when dry]

That way the rocket could take a 4" motor as well as a 75mm motor with the custom adapter with Aluminum boat tail Aeropack retainer.

Just to further stir the pot...I often use 3d printed conformal rail guides superglued to the airframe for my lighter/mid power rockets. My Estes Der Big Red Max and Aerotech Initiator are two examples. Many flights and no issues. My LOC T-Loc 2.6 and Onyx both have buttons. All good options.

I've never put nuts on my rail buttons. On L1 and lower rockets just used epoxy glue to the threads into the body tube. On larger Rockets put them in the centering rings and epoxied them into the hole drilled in the centering ring.

Use a tool to tap a hole in the Cardboard body tube just smaller then the Rail Button Screw. Put Epoxy on the threads exposed and tap the screw into the hole in the body tube till snug. Wipe off any excess epoxy that flow out from under the button.
This works pretty well.

I've had a couple of long rockets. I (usually) put the back button behind or in the rear centering ring.

The forward one can be trouble. I've put in holes, squirted in a glob of epoxy, tape over, then re-drill and tap the epoxy to install the screw. I think I have maybe three FG rockets with the front button installed this way.

Rob, I'm with you. I always secure mine with either a tee nut (usually Dubro) or I change the screw out to a self taper and screw it into a plywood block that has been pre-drilled. I read all the other posts but I'm not comfortable with a dab of epoxy.

-Bob

There are a few around here some where.

Back