What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going do a mail call post (or is it a "What Brown did for me" post?) but my Wildman order was missing something. I double checked the receipt and yep, I did order the RMS 38/120M. I only got the case. So I didn't get the thrill of loading the G61 load I ordered and plan to fire off in a little over a week (weather pending). No worries, mistakes happen. I called Wildman and they said they send me the closures tomorrow. Good thing I ordered when I did, still got plenty of time to get it remedied. It has been a LONG time since I last used the RMS 38/120 (or any other RMS 38mm motors). Prob close to 15 years or more.

Finished up the Bad Boy Rocketry clone of the Estes Der V-3. Jim's decals were black only and didn't show up very well, so I ordered a set from Tango Papa and used those. I do appreciate the clones Bad Boy is producing. Working on his Impulse now and have the Ram Jet and Sizzler waiting in the wings.

Attachments

• Estes Der V-3.jpg
    Estes Der V-3.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 0
The Eggtimer DD rocket came in today. I'm really excited about this. I started building bits on the payload and main body sections, and started shooting primer on the fins (before they're glued in). I'll start assembling the circuit board tomorrow.

The Eggtimer DD rocket came in today. I'm really excited about this. I started building bits on the payload and main body sections, and started shooting primer on the fins (before they're glued in). I'll start assembling the circuit board tomorrow.
Mine arrived today as well, very fast shipping from the States. Unfortunately a few pieces for the AV bay were missing. Not a big deal, I want to finish my Big Daddy before I start building the Eggtimer School Rocket (ESR-DD?) so plenty of time to work out a solution.

Also received a box of 1/2A3-4Ts, so this weekend can take the kids out to fly their rockets and hopefully not lose them...

I bought the Estes Generic E2X rocket at Hobby Lobby the other day, which was on sale for $4 because the body tube was crushed. [Seriously, I think some brat kids go to that aisle and do that to the Estes rockets for the hell of it. Be sure you check before buying!] I usually push a coupler or some rolled up & glued heavy cardstock into the tubes to return them to circular shape. You'll probably want to check the CG after making a mod like this. I'm still a little new to this hobby, so I tend to fly by the seat of my pants sometimes.

Here are some new decals to morph the Generic E2X into the Space Shuttle. Sort of.
You can print this on waterslide decal or on clear sticker paper. If you use clear sticker paper, the nose cone decals will need some adhesive help as they like to peel up as they want to be flat. They'll probably behave better after a shot of clear-cote.

The other rocket I'm working on is the USS Atlantis. I like this rocket design in particular because I'm a fan of the original Star Trek series from 100 years ago, and this rocket design looks great. I bought some balsa and the appropriate body tubes to build it. I'm including a PDF of the Atlantis rear engine cowlings that I created last week. I understand someone has come out with the 'Enterprise refit' style engines for this, but I like old school. I redrew the decals because of pixelation from the original file. Also, I noticed the original balsa cutouts didn't really fit the circular decal, so I redrew these to more closely be a circle when the balsa pieces are glued together. I've included those so you can cut them out and temporarily 'glue' them to the balsa with 3M 77 spray to get good cuts.

I realize the Atlantis hits the ground on the back of these engines, so you can 1) print a ton of the cowlings or 2) make them big enough to slide on for display and slide them off for flight. There's some tags to overlap the wrap-around a little bit to help you.

Respectfully submitted,
Joel

Attachments

• Estes Generic E2X.pdf
    447.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Atlantis Tail Cowlings.pdf
    400.8 KB · Views: 0
  • USSAtlantis_BalsaPattern.pdf
    389.3 KB · Views: 0
  • USS ATLANTIS_decals.pdf
    404.6 KB · Views: 0
The other rocket I'm working on is the USS Atlantis. I like this rocket design in particular because I'm a fan of the original Star Trek series from 100 years ago, and this rocket design looks great.
USS Atlantis is a fave. Thanks for this! The Disco decals for the Generic are neat too.

We retired the old Tomcat (can only repair it so many times).
Our new Tomcat flew great, just avoiding disaster when it clipped a trailer on the glide in. Only light damage :rolleyes:
An Estes Tomcat nearly took me out like that once, one flown in a bit of wind off an overly-angled launch rod. Last thing I remembered seeing before diving out of the way was sighting down the body tubes that were pointed straight at me. I was holding a SLR camera at the time; saved the camera and fortunately ended up with just grass stains on the elbows and belly.

Received some motor bits. An RMS 29/40-120, along with an G64-7W reload and a DMS G75M-13A (because the local seller had run out of the G64's and only had one in stock). These will be my starting motors for the Eggtimer DD rocket after I get that built.

Spent some time talking OR stuff with one of the new members "cat 5752" as he's starting to get familiar with how things work on it.

Continued work on my Smokin 6" X-15.

Used my leftover Rocketpoxy scraped out of each jar, so now I was committed to keep using it and opened my last jars of liquid gold.
1000017041.jpg
The dowels are for:
  • Further motor tube strengthening
  • Support between CRs
  • Epoxy dam pockets for the wings.
So over all this, the fiberglassed body tube and then the side shrouds/strakes will be glued on, adding further support. I will also do tip to tip fg on the wings and fins.

This sucker is a tank!

Put together a Leading Edge "Skeeter" last night. BT-60 sized, upscale Mosquito. Bridges the gap between the regular Mosquito and the Mega Mosquito. Didn't do a single build in January, guess I was burned out without even realizing it. Time to finish some projects that are in limbo.
View attachment 373957

Did you ever launch your Skeeter?

BTW, searching elsewhere on the site reveals a 1972-ish equivalent of that called a "Skeeter Eeter," powered by the Might D.

Back