What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My apologies, this is not a commercial device. It's only built for 1 particular project. Because the device relies on RF comms to activate, I can't see it being a particularly great seller. My flight electronics are all based around 2 way RF comms functionality, so it was designed around that...
I was wondering what flight computer had the RF comms built in.

Not to mention they don't have the down tube inside, so you have to flip them over to dispense.
The down tube is good for liquids with a low vapor pressure. Don't put acetone in one. It will autosyphon and drain the bottle from the high vapor pressure of the acetone. Been there done that, ruined the t-shirt.

We're hunting Architecture schools for my daughter, and today we were up at Syracuse. In the Architecture building they have a little supplies store, and let me tell you it was hobby heaven. Only had a few minutes to look around, just enough to locate and grab a bottle of BSI SuperGold+ and some 30 minute epoxy.

They had what appeared to be the entire catalog of Midwest wood, and a whole bunch of other woods that I hadn't seen before. It was *so hard* to walk out of there.

Last night/this morning.
Started work on the Altaira 1/48 Falcon 9.
Assembled motor mount, stuffer tube, and cut the slots for the clear fins.
0329241338[1].jpg0329241340[1].jpg0329241339[1].jpg

There were some quality and fitment issues.
0328241808[1].jpg
Motor tubes not cut perpendicular, centering rings too loose, thrust rings oversized.
Adapt, adjust, overcome.
Laters.

Boy that would really annoy me. Like, a *lot*. I recall some pictures of the tube cuts in the N1 kit and they were worse... at least these are clean, I guess.
I knew the parts might be rough after reading aerostadts' N1 thread.
Fuzzies I don't mind, they can be sanded off.
But at least make the cuts straight.
I wound up ditching the motor tubes and cutting my own.
The 3D printed Dragon capsule, however, is excellent.
Preassembled with epoxied in nose weight, kevlar loop and coupler for a shoulder.

Yesterday and the day before I made up some tiny igniters. Am I allowed to say that? Today I plan on something I'm not allowed to discuss in detail on this forum, though it's g-rated.

Nice work, Lugnut. That's quite a collection. There is a law of the universe which says that any work surface can never have more than 1 square foot cleared off at any given time. If you can break that one, I wonder how long it will be before we have FTL. ;-)

Looking in that back corner makes me wonder if you hunt large dinosaurs.
------------
Today, I did something which I'm not allowed to tell you about, then test fired a tiny rocket motor I have with the stuff I can't tell you about*, which didn't work very well. Argh! OTOH, the igniter seemed to work ok.

Maybe more will be accomplished later.

*Surely the information I would reveal must be far more dangerous than the info in these sources:
hhttps://ntrs.nasa.gov/search
https://discover.dtic.mil/results/?...b=0&gsc.q=solid rocket propellants&gsc.page=1
https://dspace.mit.edu/discover?scope=/&query=solid+rocket+propellant&submit=Go

Last edited:
We had a mid power launch today so that a few ARC teams could get in qualifying flights.
It was a bit breezy so I deferred on launching my big birds and instead launched some oddrocs.
1. Centuri Magnum D SR-71 (clone): D12-5
2. Applewhite Priority Cinco: D12-5
3. Rocketarium Turbo Vortico: F15-4
4. Loc Cool Spool: F15-4
Sorry no pics, but Ron's video should be out shortly.
Laters.

Put the decals on the Aggressor Aerospace Shavit. Picked it up from Boyce, although Apogee carries this line as well. They provide the 3D printed parts and you provide the body tubes and recovery system. With those tiny fins it will be interesting to see how it flies. I added quite a bit of nose weight.

Attachments

• Shavit finished.jpg
    Shavit finished.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 0
We're hunting Architecture schools for my daughter, and today we were up at Syracuse. In the Architecture building they have a little supplies store, and let me tell you it was hobby heaven. Only had a few minutes to look around, just enough to locate and grab a bottle of BSI SuperGold+ and some 30 minute epoxy.

They had what appeared to be the entire catalog of Midwest wood, and a whole bunch of other woods that I hadn't seen before. It was *so hard* to walk out of there.
Good to know. That's less than about a 90 minute drive for me, and just one of a few reasons to go to Syracuse now and then.

Back