3D Printing What Are You Printing Today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, I took a Chuck's Nike Smoke fin from Printables and printed it... just to see. It printed real nice. I thought about what I could do with that and well, that turned into this:
View attachment 638447

I had to modify the fin tab, since they fin directly into the can for this design. I also made it a little bigger. Its printing now. I'll have pics in the morning. I should have it mostly built tomorrow evening. Maybe even have some paint on it this weekend. When it's done and flown, I will post it up with the DRM and Goblin builds from my Extreme Series on Printables.
Everything printed out nicely. The nosecone looks amazing... until I broke it. The transition at the shoulder was too thin and it broke when screwing in the ebay. I went back and thickened it up and now I'm printing the next iteration. Klipper says 2 hours, but for some reason, my work likes it when I'm in the office. I'll snap pics of everything when I get home.

Does anyone happen to have an OR file of a Nike Smoke? Scale isn't important, I need it for reference.

These were my first real prints on my new Qidi Q1
The one that was just released? I've been eyeing it and wondering it it's capable of printing seriously high temp filaments. Looks like it's just barely within the specs for at least one of the PEKK spools I found.

Wondering also if there is a Q1 Pro Max waiting in the wings.

The one that was just released? I've been eyeing it and wondering it it's capable of printing seriously high temp filaments. Looks like it's just barely within the specs for at least one of the PEKK spools I found.

Wondering also if there is a Q1 Pro Max waiting in the wings.
Yes, it's the one that just came out.

I've wanted a better printer for a while. I was considering a Bambu P1S, but the Q1 seems to be about as good or better in pretty much every category that I care about, and with the early bird sale it was significantly cheaper as well.

I don't know how well it'll actually handle something exotic like PEKK. I got it to have a faster printer that could handle ABS, Nylon, and fiber reinforced filaments.

On today's adventure episode in "What could go wrong?"...

I woke up early to print a new version of my Nike Smoke nosecone that I was able to figure out in Fusion360. I sliced the print and sent it to the printer, then slid over to watch the first layer and watched in horror as the filament began to goop and ball up, then finally no extrusion. No changes from yesterday were made and I've had no issues with the prints quality-wise. I spent 15 mins cleaning and de-gooping (read: de-pooping) and discovered my heater block fan CATO'd. I spent the better part of the day looking for something, even contacted Sovol. I finally found a replacement, which arrives on Saturday (probably 10pm).

In the meantime, no printer...

Oh, but I was able to find a spare 4010 from my Ender. I cut/soldered/hammered the fan in. I wasn't sure if it would work, but it does! WOOHOO! I can't get the dust cover on but its back to printing and I'm back in business. My 2 hr. nosecone print has taken over 12 hrs.

1712275779968.png

After many printer repair woes, I'm finishing up a new revision of the Nike Smoke nosecone. I made in it Fusion360 to continue pushing myself to learn new things. The dust cover is missing b/c the heater block fan face planted. I had to rig a 4010 until Saturday. Working good so far.

View attachment 638741
I am printing something similar.......

I've been working on a simple, easy to print beginner rocket for the grandkids. BT-55 and about 19-1/2" tall. 3D printed fin can and nose cone, replaceable kevlar shock cord, screw on 18mm motor retainer. The BT-20 motor tube runs all the way through the fin can so I have a shot at the fin can surviving if printed in PLA.

Randy

GK18.jpg

Happy Monday!

This weekend, I worked on my next rocket in the Extreme Series. I put together a Bullpup that, while there are many variations, was inspired by the Estes model design.

I pulled an Open Rocket design from RocketReviews.com that I liked to get a sense of the shape and length, then began scaling and modifying. I spent a lot of time on the design of the tail cone, going through several interations. I focus was to capture the motor without disturbing the esthetic of the aft lines. I ended up integrating the threads into the aft of the fincan. A 29mm motor tube acts as a sleeve and slides in, flush with the aft section

I really didn't care for the extension aft of the aft fins (see Concept picture with extension), so the base of the loft butts up against the aft section. I typically have a ring/cap retainer but that doesn't work here. This design is specifically for Aerotech 29mm DMS motors, but smaller ones should work. I really don't see the need for stuffing a 29/240 in this (although, it could be done -- once).

Some features:
  • Nosecone threaded bulkhead - I made the nosecone walls a little too thick, so the sled doesn't fit. I'm working to correct this and it should be done with the release
  • Separate Nosecone Shoulder/Coupler - I separated the shoulder from the nosecone. This will be epoxied in later, to make printing easier
  • BT60 tube cutter - It's just a sleeve that slips over the tube. It works great on Estes tubes, and has just enough grip to stay put but wont crinkle your tube.
  • Integrated and filleted forward canard and aft main fins - want to see if they are durable enough in this configuration vs. printed separately
  • Channel for the Kevlar shock cord
  • OpenRocket design file

Rocket launches in Colorado were canceled yesterday do to high winds, so I have yet to test these Extreme Series rocket, but I will put the STLs up on Printables as soon as I know they are solid flyers. Feel free to PM me if you want to try it out before testing.

Happy Eclipse Day!

Bullpup -  Extreme Series Builders Kit.png
Bullpup Extreme Builder's Kit

Bullpup Extreme Concept.png
Concept with Extended Tailcone

Bullpup Extreme - Concept Art without long tailcone.png
Concept without Extended Tailcone

Bullpup Extreme Fincan and Tailcone Cross-section.png
Fincan with Tailcone Cross-section

Bullpup Extreme Nosecone Cross-section.png
Nosecone cross-section

Bullpup Extreme OR Design.png
OpenRocket Design

Bullpup with RedMax.jpg
Bullpup with the RedMax

Nike-Javelin (or Hydac) adapter.
For scale reference this is a BT-60 to BT-50 piece.
.4mm nozzle, .16 layer height.

Attachments

• Nike adapter.png
    Nike adapter.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Was struggling with some issue of non-square ends of a fiberglass tube. So created this widget to help me square up the tube. Using a permanent marker, just run it over the lip of the tube. Then put them tool on and turn and check, until you don't see any more black marker on the lip.

Worked very nice.

PXL_20240408_173905915.jpg

PXL_20240408_173845042.jpg

You have the threads dialed in.
Thanks. It was a painful road, and I'm happy that I was finally able to crack the code. I was able to out the Bullpup nosecone not being wide enough for the sled. It's tight, but if it fits, it sits.

Today, I finished printing the last rocket in the Extreme Series (for now or until tomorrow) -- the WAC Corporal. This is one of the first rockets I printed a year ago for 18mm motors. I remixed the model (currently on my Printables page) and flew it on Easter. It's wonderful and really wants to fly on C6 motor. This one, looks amazing, and I plan to do a two-stage variant later this year. Like the Bullpup, I have integrated the fins into the fincan, since there didn't really seem but be a reason not to. The print finished this afternoon, and I can't wait to get this one finished and painted!

It has the same bits and bobs as the others do. I included two different greebles, one more squared off and one more rounded. I think I like the rounded one but I need to print it just to be sure.

At this point, I have included the following to this series:
  • Red Max
  • Goblin
  • Nike Smoke
  • Bullpup
  • WAC Corporal
I think that's enough for the moment, but I have ideas for a few others. I need to get these in the air first.

I'll start snapping pix as I take these through the post-processing and color finishing process this weekend.

1712706881722.png
WAC Corporal BT60 29mm

WAC Corporal Extreme.jpg
WAC Corporal Dry Fit

Thanks. It was a painful road, and I'm happy that I was finally able to crack the code. I was able to out the Bullpup nosecone not being wide enough for the sled. It's tight, but if it fits, it sits.

Today, I finished printing the last rocket in the Extreme Series (for now or until tomorrow) -- the WAC Corporal. This is one of the first rockets I printed a year ago for 18mm motors. I remixed the model (currently on my Printables page) and flew it on Easter. It's wonderful and really wants to fly on C6 motor. This one, looks amazing, and I plan to do a two-stage variant later this year. Like the Bullpup, I have integrated the fins into the fincan, since there didn't really seem but be a reason not to. The print finished this afternoon, and I can't wait to get this one finished and painted!

It has the same bits and bobs as the others do. I included two different greebles, one more squared off and one more rounded. I think I like the rounded one but I need to print it just to be sure.

• Red Max
  • Goblin
  • Nike Smoke
  • Bullpup
  • WAC Corporal
I think that's enough for the moment, but I have ideas for a few others. I need to get these in the air first.

I'll start snapping pix as I take these through the post-processing and color finishing process this weekend.

View attachment 639714
WAC Corporal BT60 29mm

View attachment 639715
WAC Corporal Dry Fit
Well, you have it dialed in until you get another filament.

• Red Max
  • Goblin
  • Nike Smoke
  • Bullpup
  • WAC Corporal

View attachment 639714
WAC Corporal BT60 29mm

View attachment 639715
WAC Corporal Dry Fit
Are you going to add that BT60 version to your printables page? Looks great!

Are you going to add that BT60 version to your printables page? Looks great!
Yes, I am. I just want to make sure they are solid first. To this point, they are all theory. Once I test each one with a couple motors, I will include the OR file and push them to Printables. If anyone wants an untested peak, just PM me with the model(s) you'd like to test. I'd love some feedback.

Well, you have it dialed in until you get another filament.
that's the truth. By accident, I found the Elegoo Rapid PETG and bought a couple rolls. It turns out to be pretty nice. I spend a day fine-tuning the printer to get it dialed in and I'm pretty happy with it.

I tried some CF-PETG and that was a horrible experience. Everything clogged because the hotend fan failed, and I had to completely disassemble my tool head. Had a hell of a time but I got it back up. Bad timing for a fan failure. Also, disappointing to lose the fan after only a month of use.

That Bambu Lab A1 Mini is looking better right now.

Some low power rockets... my 9" series, so two rockets from a BT50 tube!

5 fins in a sleeve design. Required nose weight, as was tad rear heavy. Think switching to the couple design of the 3 fin will save some weight, and then also add another nearly 3 inches to the rocket which will also help with stability.

PXL_20240421_172249262.jpg

Tube fins... although at .8mm in thickness for the tubes, one of the tubes broke on a fast landing (it was a tad breezy out). Need a bit of nose weight to help it out. Redesigning with a bit thicker tubes, and instead of a sleeve just using a built in coupler that way it'll be a bit longer which also helps with the CG vs CP.

PXL_20240421_171112824.jpg

And a classic 3 fin design. This wasn't a sleeve design like the other two, rather this incorporates a 3d coupler into the booster section and the body tube just gets epoxied to it.

PXL_20240421_170506265.jpg

I've been working on a 4-in Mini Magg clone called "Power Maggie". Builder's kit includes:
  • 3x fins
  • Integrated Centering rings and motor tube - Will accept a 38mm liner
  • Nosecone with threaded ring for Nosecone AVBay
  • AVBay Sled (still working on that design) - It will --eventually-- accept an Eggtimer Quantum. Working on variants for other trackers/altimeters/flight comps. This sled accepts a 1/4-in all-thread at the top to allow for adjustable nose weight. I use this on my Mega Red Max and it works really well.
  • Fin Slotting Jig
The printing for Power Maggie is done. I'll try to start construction in the next couple weeks.

Also, attempted to launch the Goblin and Red Max Extreme BT-60 rockets this weekend. They never made it to the pad for two reasons:
  • The field I was flying at was really busy on the High Power pads and these rockets only have rail guides. I need to fit with Launch Lugs as well
  • Both rockets suffered the same fin failure when they fell- the design needs some work, but I have some ideas
1713885627994.png
Power Maggie - 4-in Mini Magg Clone

Some low power rockets... my 9" series, so two rockets from a BT50 tube!

5 fins in a sleeve design. Required nose weight, as was tad rear heavy. Think switching to the couple design of the 3 fin will save some weight, and then also add another nearly 3 inches to the rocket which will also help with stability.

View attachment 642064

Tube fins... although at .8mm in thickness for the tubes, one of the tubes broke on a fast landing (it was a tad breezy out). Need a bit of nose weight to help it out. Redesigning with a bit thicker tubes, and instead of a sleeve just using a built in coupler that way it'll be a bit longer which also helps with the CG vs CP.

View attachment 642065

And a classic 3 fin design. This wasn't a sleeve design like the other two, rather this incorporates a 3d coupler into the booster section and the body tube just gets epoxied to it.

View attachment 642066
Very nice.

Back