"We don't know...yet" Science in action

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not how science works in the real world. There's no money there. On the other hand, there are billions available to confirm the current belief that there *is* global cooling/warming/climate change. When there is a great deal of societal pressure, sometimes an idea becomes the truth.
Yes, it's so tragic that oil companies are penniless.

This post is from when I first joined the forum, but I think it bears repeating here.

You can substitute "talking head" for "politician."

I would only add that some of the distrust has also come from science being twisted to political purposes. Global warming skeptics don't believe in it because of previous predictions of disaster turning out to be wrong. For example, when the himalaya glaciers were supposed to be gone by 2011, snow was supposed to be gone by 2005, that kind of stuff that was pushed and popularized. I don't think many actual climatologists believed that was going to happen, but some politician pushed the extreme view so that became the popular one that everyone knew about. It turned into a "you were wrong before, so why should I believe you now?" situation.

Some have undoubtedly seen this image of the moon, taken by NASA's lunar orbiter:
View attachment 639787

Immediate wild speculation online about space aliens. Probably speculation on Bigfoot, Loch Nessie, space lasers, hollow moon, etc.

In science, when we don't know...we say so. What we don't do is indulge in fantasy merely because it's satisfying. Instead of "Proof of Space Aliens!", NASA asked "What could possibly have caused this phenomenon?" And it didn't take long to find that Korea Aerospace Research Institute's Danuri lunar orbiter was paralleling the LRO's orbit. And at the speed it was going, it would have been a blur, just as seen in the image.

To some, the explanation won't make any difference. Supporting facts and results are ignored. "Space Aliens!! NASA is lying!!! etc. ad nauseum". So it goes. You can lead a person to knowledge but you can't make them think. :)
Universe Morons.jpg

So let me get this straight.
Big money funds scientific studies, so the conclusions must conform to big monies' interests.
So if the raw data points otherwise, then it must be falsified to conform.
And this is happening worldwide across thousands of studies and hundreds of thousands of researchers and scientists.
With not a single whistleblower among them.
And it passes the peer review process because they're all in on it too.
Yeah, that's it, yeah.
;)

Global Climate Change ?​
MRN "Vaccines" (Gene Therapy) ?​
I look at that [picture of Kilimanjaro] and what I really see is, “tiny data point, probably a cherry-picked counter example, maybe not even a true one”.

Further digging confirmed the first two.

(Edited)

I look at that [picture of Kilimanjaro] and what I really see is, “tiny data point, probably a cherry-picked counter example, maybe not even a true one”.

Further digging confirmed the first two.

(Edited)
I found out that the snowfall on Kilimanjaro varies with the seasons of the year.
So the time of year that the photos were taken comes into play.
Edit: And the face of the mountain being photographed also comes into play.
(See the post about "doesn't look like the same mountain").
And although the glaciers on Kilimanjaro have declined in size by 90% over the past hundred years, the cause may not be due to global warming as much as the dynamics of weather over the Indian Ocean, where the snowfall on Kilimanjaro comes from.
So the choice of Kilimanjaro may not have been the best, but other glaciers around the world have been rapidly declining and scientists attribute those to global warming.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight.
Big money funds scientific studies, so the conclusions must conform to big monies' interests.
So if the raw data points otherwise, then it must be falsified to conform.
And this is happening worldwide across thousands of studies and hundreds of thousands of researchers and scientists.
With not a single whistleblower among them.
And it passes the peer review process because they're all in on it too.
Yeah, that's it, yeah.
;)
And apparently "the government" and universities are motivated to spend massive amounts of money to pay off all these scientists because they can... use the results of this research to control people? Hamstring the economy? I don't know why the government would want to do that, but I guess it's a guiding motive. 🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile, a plucky band of rich and powerful multinational energy companies are the only ones willing to stand up to the government, by paying for unbiased research, motivated only by a desire to see science done properly.

And apparently "the government" and universities are motivated to spend massive amounts of money to pay off all these scientists because they can... use the results of this research to control people? Hamstring the economy? I don't know why the government would want to do that, but I guess it's a guiding motive. 🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile, a plucky band of rich and powerful multinational energy companies are the only ones willing to stand up to the government, by paying for unbiased research, motivated only by a desire to see science done properly.
Multinational energy companies are "unbiased"?

I'm not a scientist, but my eldest daughter is a true scientist. She does/has-done medical research (specifically protien design/manufacture) in both academia and the commercial world. Her and I have had serious conversations about the integrity of research. Based on her experiences she estimates that 5-10% of true scientists have been biased in some manner. The other 90-95% of true scientists are just trying to do good research and communicate valid (as currently known) results. This does not speak to business people and/or talking heads, and other ideologues.

And let us not forget that they are the Puppet Masters of way too many politicians. :mad:

I found out that the snowfall on Kilimanjaro varies with the seasons of the year.
So the time of year that the photos were taken comes into play.
Edit: And the face of the mountain being photographed also comes into play.
(See the post about "doesn't look like the same mountain").
And although the glaciers on Kilimanjaro have declined in size by 90% over the past hundred years, the cause may not be due to global warming as much as the dynamics of weather over the Indian Ocean, where the snowfall on Kilimanjaro comes from.
So the choice of Kilimanjaro may not have been the best, but other glaciers around the world have been rapidly declining and scientists attribute those to global warming.
By the time they run out of counter examples (they usually only pick one), the problem will be long irreversible and inescapable.

Yeah, and these arguments have been discussed before on other threads in this forum.
Not gonna rehash them here.
I guess we just have to agree to disagree.
BTW, if you think the scientific conclusions are based on the funding source, does that mean that the scientific community has no integrity?
Are the NASA scientists on the take?
https://climate.nasa.gov/ /
Here's an anonymous quote that's better placed here than in the quote thread:

If you are unwilling to learn from those whose very purpose is to seek knowledge and share with others, instead choosing to follow the advice of people who are also unwilling to learn, then you've already failed yourself, your family, and community.

And IMHO peer-reviewed publications are a lot like Churchill's statement about democracy: the worst possible form of scientific publication. Except for all the others.

Back