Usps shipping

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the other hand .. about 40 years ago, my brother ran a music store in a small town. A couple of years after the store closed, someone sent my brother a letter. It was addressed to him with "Record Store" instead of a street number and street name. It was delivered to our parent's house where he lived.
Maybe 15? years ago, guys at the local post office figured out that an incorrectly addressed letter (or was it a package, I can't remember) was actually for me. I was impressed enough to send them a thank you note, which I later saw on the wall in the post office.

When I worked at General Motors I traveled a great deal in the eastern two-thirds of the USA. On a trip to Oklahoma City on what was then Northwest Airlines, my bag got lost. I got by the first night with a courtesy bag provided by Northwest and a few items I was given by the hotel front desk. When the bag didn't materialize on Day Two, I went shopping at a local Walmart and got what I needed to complete the business trip. A month later, the bag was delivered to my house. It had toured the Far East, including a 10-day stopover in Bangkok, Thailand! Yes, Northwest sucked, in so many ways. They are infinitely better now since being purchased by Delta Airlines.

Ordered some tubing to repair my Saturn I-SA5.
It was shipped USPS from Dayton to Cincinnati to Dallas to Tucson (where I am) and then so far to Tulsa. I wonder where it will go next....

No surprise there. USPS is a disaster. I once bought something online that shipped from the southside of Chicago. It took 3 days for it to appear in their system then went on a tour of the southern states before arriving almost two weeks later looking like it had gone through a Demo Derby. For reference, I live in the northern burbs of Chicago about 16 miles from where the items shipped. Had I known where it was shipping from, I would have driven to go get it.

I stopped using them for anything years ago. I won't even mail a check these days.

No surprise there. USPS is a disaster. I once bought something online that shipped from the southside of Chicago. It took 3 days for it to appear in their system then went on a tour of the southern states before arriving almost two weeks later looking like it had gone through a Demo Derby. For reference, I live in the northern burbs of Chicago about 16 miles from where the items shipped. Had I known where it was shipping from, I would have driven to go get it.

I stopped using them for anything years ago. I won't even mail a check these days.
Consider the amount of mail we get. Consider the number of packages in particular and the number that have gone astray or been damaged. Express the result as a percentage. Keep in mind that humans tend to remember the hits and not the misses---and most of the posts here on package delivery are the "hits".

No doubt there are some of us who have had half a dozen or more packages damaged or delivered to PartsUnknown, Southern North Dakota. Statistically that's probably an anomaly...and may have more to do with the local USPO than the system.

I don't think USPS as a whole can properly be called a disaster.

and may have more to do with the local USPO than the system.
Pretty much this. Having lived all over the country, I've noticed that the quality of service from the post office, UPS, and FedEx just depends on where you live. USPS tends to be crap in big, crowded cities where they probably have a lot more work to deal with, while FedEx service in rural areas is crap. For a while, my area wasn't serviced by actual FedEx trucks, but by contractor drivers, at least one of whom stole people's packages. There's been a noticeable lack of problems now that actual FedEx trucks deliver packages to my house.

Consider the amount of mail we get. Consider the number of packages in particular and the number that have gone astray or been damaged. Express the result as a percentage. Keep in mind that humans tend to remember the hits and not the misses---and most of the posts here on package delivery are the "hits".

No doubt there are some of us who have had half a dozen or more packages damaged or delivered to PartsUnknown, Southern North Dakota. Statistically that's probably an anomaly...and may have more to do with the local USPO than the system.

I don't think USPS as a whole can properly be called a disaster.

On average, I get one or two pieces of mail a week that are not mine delivered to my house. Some with close addresses (right house, wrong street) while others are for completely different towns and occasionally a different state. How in the heck to you miss by an entire state when the delivery address is legible.

This happens so often in our area that it's not uncommon for neighbors to drop off your mail and we have regular posts on our local FB page of someone that reports they received the wrong mail. "If you live at 123 street, contact me, I have your mail".

Add in the issues with stolen mail, missing checks, unhelpful and down right rude people at the post office and a complete lack of care when something goes wrong, it's just not worth the headache of dealing with the post office. When my quarterly payment to the IRS that was sent certified mail went missing mysteriously three years ago I spent hours on the phone with the post office trying to get any kind of resolution. I was transferred around to a dozen or more people and strung along for days. Each new person I spoke to had no clue and I had to go over the entire issue from the beginning each time. The most frustrating part was the further up the ladder I went the worse the persons attitude got and the more useless they became.

At the end of the day, If I'm going to pay for a service, I expect that service to be delivered and the post office simply can't do that on a consistent basis. FedEx has become my go to option as their pricing is often the same for small packages and less on larger stuff. Yes, I do pay more to send checks but I have never had one lost.

Back