Usps shipping

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryg

Reaction score
Ordered some tubing to repair my Saturn I-SA5.
It was shipped USPS from Dayton to Cincinnati to Dallas to Tucson (where I am) and then so far to Tulsa. I wonder where it will go next....

It was shipped USPS from Dayton to Cincinnati to Dallas to Tucson (where I am) and then so far to Tulsa. I wonder where it will go next....
USPS tracking can be pretty goofy. For awhile, delivery notifications were happening a day or two before the actual delivery, causing people to think their packages had been stolen. I had a shipment recently that showed similar weirdness to yours, tracking was showing it all over the place, then it showed up the day after it was showing it was 2000 miles away.

I hope you get your stuff soon.

We had a package sent from here in Florida to an address in California somehow get routed through Guam. The package did eventually arrive at its intended destination and the customer found the whole thing amusing.

(But, we have sent thousands of packages through the USPS over the past 15 years and very rarely have had any issues.)

A recent package went from one post office in California to another, and then back, and then to the second post office again. Then it went to New Jersey. Then it went back to California, and was returned to the sender, though as it turned out there was nothing wrong with it. The sender mailed it again and it finally got to me not too much later, in Massachusetts. Took about a month. By then, I'd bought something else.

A recent package went from one post office in California to another, and then back, and then to the second post office again. Then it went to New Jersey. Then it went back to California, and was returned to the sender, though as it turned out there was nothing wrong with it. The sender mailed it again and it finally got to me not too much later, in Massachusetts. Took about a month. By then, I'd bought something else.
It may just be coincidental, but we've found that filing a "Missing Mail" report is often effective at getting those packages moving the right direction more quickly. The problem usually resolves itself soon after we file a report through the USPS web site. Either the recipient or the sender can file a Missing Mail report but its probably better if the sender does it because they will have more complete information to put in the report.

That’s really wild.

Lately I’ve been ordering direct from AeroTech, Estes, and Apogee, they typically take a short hike to Denver or SLC before getting on a truck down the 15 freeway to the San Diego area. Occasionally for a non-motor purchase from a smaller company on the Eastern seaboard it has been routed through Chicago and Los Angeles, with perhaps one reported stop in a flyover state. All of that makes sense, I can even understand having to make a little detour to arrive at a more capable processing facility, but I don’t understand how a package ends up an ocean away. Do they not know where their vehicles are going when they load them up?

Except when it's in transit to the previous facility.

The Post Office is one of my favorite government institutions, and one of the most useful, but I fear there are those who wish to damage it. Nonetheless, usually it does a pretty good job. I am not going into specifics, because that would be political.

Brazil?

I did a search and found that there are 24 cities in the us that start with the letters tu. However, I did not research how many for the entire world.

Recently, UPS lost the Haako FX888d soldering station I'd ordered. The package got to Buffalo, then ... nothing. "Package cannot be located", or some such. But they knew exactly how long they needed to find the thing. "Your packages was delayed. It will be delivered Tuesday" (two days late). Nothing on tracking for three days. Then, on Tuesday, there it was. Hmmm.

Next stop, a whole different realm! "You just crossed over... into the twilight zone" lol

Ordered some stickers for my keyboard from someone in Canada. First two times he tried to send to me, they never arrived. He finally sent a set via tracked mail and it arrived yesterday. Who know what happened to the other two envelopes.

When we lived in Japan, we received an item from the US that arrived very late. It had a postmark from Jamaica and a very nice stamped note in Japanese explaining that "We're very sorry, O Honorable Customer, but your mail went to Jamaica first and took extra time to get to our postal system."

It happens often enough that they had a rubber stamp for it 😂

559059-FB-IMG-1609205894650.jpg

On the other hand .. about 40 years ago, my brother ran a music store in a small town. A couple of years after the store closed, someone sent my brother a letter. It was addressed to him with "Record Store" instead of a street number and street name. It was delivered to our parent's house where he lived.

Several CS Rocketry customers had their boxes of 1/2-in mule tape and other supplies hang out near Atlanta for well over a week.

Back the end of last year, I had the post office deliver a package two weeks late. What I got was the shipping label cut out of the box that had been sent and inserted in a window envelope. That is all. They refunded me for the product, but not for the shipping. So I paid the USPS to lose two motor cases. I guess it doesn't really matter, because they were CTI and my motor guy hasn't been getting those reloads.

Your item arrived at our USPS facility in DALLAS TX LOGISTICS CENTER on April 23, 2024 at 3:55 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Guess I'll take the other side. I absolutely LOVE the USPS. Since we moved to our current house 26 years ago, I think I've had two packages that went astray. Our mail carrier Brad is a gem, he tracked them down pretty quickly.

I agree that tracking sometimes leaves something to be desired. (In my experience tracking of eBay packages is usually worse, sometimes MUCH worse, regardless of the carrier.) But I never worry much about that, figuring that the package will be here in a week or less. Face it, we OldGuys™ have gotten soft. Remember how you used to order...and wait...and wait...and wait some more, without any idea when the box would get here?

And USPS Enhanced Click-N-Ship is pretty easy to use, with prices about half of Priority mail. I've been able to ship 3' long casting/liner sets without that ridiculous upcharge for long packages. Significantly cheaper than UPS too.

Guess I'll take the other side. I absolutely LOVE the USPS. Since we moved to our current house 26 years ago, I think I've had two packages that went astray. Our mail carrier Brad is a gem, he tracked them down pretty quickly.

I agree that tracking sometimes leaves something to be desired. (In my experience tracking of eBay packages is usually worse, sometimes MUCH worse, regardless of the carrier.) But I never worry much about that, figuring that the package will be here in a week or less. Face it, we OldGuys™ have gotten soft. Remember how you used to order...and wait...and wait...and wait some more, without any idea when the box would get here?

And USPS Enhanced Click-N-Ship is pretty easy to use, with prices about half of Priority mail. I've been able to ship 3' long casting/liner sets without that ridiculous upcharge for long packages. Significantly cheaper than UPS too.
I use Click-n-Ship, or more specifically, I do all my postage online. I totally can't believe the retards that stand in line for a half hour to ship some small package. Or to buy 4 stamps.

Go to the website, print the label, drop it off. Done.

Hans.

I agree USPS is great. I use them for shipping and have never had a package disappear. I generally find they have the best price for the service level they offer.

Our mail carrier Brad is a gem, he tracked them down pretty quickly.

There is that, though. So much depends on your mail carrier. We've had fantastic mail carriers, and we've had terrible mail carriers, and it makes all the difference.

Currently we don't have a mail carrier. Our route basically gets taken care of by carriers from other routes, as time allows. Mail usually comes some random time between 9 am and 9 pm, but there's like a 25% chance it won't come at all on any given day. And with no regular carrier, there's no one to work with if there's any kind of issue.

Check out Pirateship.com. Ive used them for a couple of years. Easy to use, they will give you significant discount commercial pricing for UPS, USPS, flat rate, priority, ground advantage, etc. You used to be able to get something like this through paypal but it was hard to use and is no longer available. They rightly point out that with volume-based shipping it will almost always be less expensive than Priority flat rate.

Unless you are sending a small package of depleted uranium from Maine to Hawaii😎.

With Pirate Ship you can print out your label at home, slap it on your package and drop it off at USPS or a UPS facility, like a UPS Store. You'll never have to stand in line at the post office again.

My son works at a robotics company. They put trackers in their shipments. One of their smaller units, about the size of a footlocker, went missing at a UPS hub. The UPS tracking barcode said it was lost, but my son could tell just where exactly in the UPS building it was. Phone call to UPS but they couldnt find it. My son’s company put a guy on an airplane to go there and retrieve the shipment. Fortunately the UPS was close to the final destination and the engineer had to go there to install it anyway.

On the other hand .. about 40 years ago, my brother ran a music store in a small town. A couple of years after the store closed, someone sent my brother a letter. It was addressed to him with "Record Store" instead of a street number and street name. It was delivered to our parent's house where he lived.
During his career, it was said that Ichiro Suzuki would receive any letter simply addresed:

Ichiro
Japan

Back