Update on first mp rocket build !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsbhunter

Reaction score
Ok, to the best of my knowledge, EXCEPT for the nose weight (which I have figured out the proper amount) the finished rocket, engine, 36" chute, Jolly Logic chute release, 12' shock cord, etc...comes to 1lb13oz. This is a Madcow DX3 2.6" model. It will be launching on a F40-7w engine, chute release at 200 yards. I bought a 8' stick of the 1010 rail, I guess that will work? I have a shooting tripod that has adjustable legs to where it is almost flat on the ground, and is hd. It has a Arca mount and rail that I plan to build a small platform with rail mount to use. I'm going with a 12 volt launch system, should I drop to 9 volt for the igniters? Any input, advice, etc is welcomed...thanks to all the guys that put up with my newbie questions and offered advice, you made this a fun project, instead of a nightmare! rsbhunter

Thank you...I am setting the cg at right around 1.3 caliber (measures 3.5" ) ahead of cp. I bought the 1010 rail planning on maybe someday high power, level 1. Past that, I don't know if my wallet could handle it. One quick question, the hole in the nose cone is almost 3/16 exactly. Before I knew I was going to have to move the cg, the nose cone had been painted. ( I'm learning!) I can get the shot I'm using through that size hole easily...could I insert the shot, inject the epoxy into the cone, and actually thread a piece of 1/4" all thread through the "nipple" that sticks off the cone all the way to the tip of the cone then secure the all thread? I "figure" the epoxy will grab the threads enough to secure the shot/epoxy into the tip of the cone. Thanks again , the help is appreciated more than you can know. I'm still trying to learn OR, but it is taking awhile...rsbhunter

I had originally thought about 100 , but figured it would give me alittle piece of mind. I'm using a streamer at ejection, help spotting as well as slow decent. Streamer will be free when JL triggers. Alot of my decisions are "wag's". I try to research as much as possible, but you know how that goes, one extreme to another. My LZ is big enough that I don't have to worry about drift, (at 200) plus, for the first flight. It will be a calm day, or I won't launch... but I am seriously happy to listen to an experienced voice. All help is welcome....rsbhunter

Thank you...I am setting the cg at right around 1.3 caliber (measures 3.5" ) ahead of cp. I bought the 1010 rail planning on maybe someday high power, level 1. Past that, I don't know if my wallet could handle it. One quick question, the hole in the nose cone is almost 3/16 exactly. Before I knew I was going to have to move the cg, the nose cone had been painted. ( I'm learning!) I can get the shot I'm using through that size hole easily...could I insert the shot, inject the epoxy into the cone, and actually thread a piece of 1/4" all thread through the "nipple" that sticks off the cone all the way to the tip of the cone then secure the all thread? I "figure" the epoxy will grab the threads enough to secure the shot/epoxy into the tip of the cone. Thanks again , the help is appreciated more than you can know. I'm still trying to learn OR, but it is taking awhile...rsbhunter
Using polyurethane/ Gorilla glue would be much better than epoxy, I recommend it!! I used that on all my additional weight needed in a nose cone also with lead shot. Epoxy does not "stick" as well. Never had weight come loose using polyurethane glue. You must have built heavy in the aft end if you have to add nose weight. What is your CG w/o motor?

Back