Unique Rail Guides

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if you would call them unique, but I use the ACME rail guides on just about everything that is bigger than low power. I do modify them a bit though.

I like them for a number of reasons, not all of them practical. For one, I think they have a nice "scale" look that makes them look like something that should be on the side of a sounding rocket or missile. They also are very easy to install, not requiring any mounting blocks or hardware inside the tube, and since I cut each one in half, a package of two will outfit two rockets.

To mount them I Dremel a crosshatch pattern in the mounting surface and drill two holes down between the lugs and through the tube. The tube gets heavily scuffed and the guides glued on with JB Weld classic (Not the quick). The holes in the guide and tube allow the JB to squish through and form a chemical rivet.

4" (very) semi-scale Spartan missile. You can sorta see the JB Weld rivets between the lugs.
1714347877837.png

"Nike-ized" Estes Majestic. Added a few epoxy drop rivets on the sides for looks.
1714347935773.png

Another pseudo-scale sounding rocket thing with more phony rivets,,,
1714348259359.png

I don't know if you would call them unique, but I use the ACME rail guides on just about everything that is bigger than low power. I do modify them a bit though.

I like them for a number of reasons, not all of them practical. For one, I think they have a nice "scale" look that makes them look like something that should be on the side of a sounding rocket or missile. They also are very easy to install, not requiring any mounting blocks or hardware inside the tube, and since I cut each one in half, a package of two will outfit two rockets.

To mount them I Dremel a crosshatch pattern in the mounting surface and drill two holes down between the lugs and through the tube. The tube gets heavily scuffed and the guides glued on with JB Weld classic (Not the quick). The holes in the guide and tube allow the JB to squish through and form a chemical rivet.

4" (very) semi-scale Spartan missile. You can sorta see the JB Weld rivets between the lugs.
View attachment 642905

"Nike-ized" Estes Majestic. Added a few epoxy drop rivets on the sides for looks.
View attachment 642906

Another pseudo-scale sounding rocket thing with more phony rivets,,,
View attachment 642907
I have a sign that I print off thing verse that is similar.

One of the Australian teams had retractable rail guides at last year's Spaceport America Cup. Magnet pulled it out; a plastic clip sort of like the relevant part of the rail held it out until it was put on the rail at which time the rail pushed it out of the way; a spring pulled it in when it cleared the rail. Very cool but I'm not sure if was worth the effort.
That was University of New South Wales - my team. Here's a CAD screenshot and photos of the bottom and top rail guides (slightly different designs due to the bottom assembly pulling double duty as a centering ring.) RASAero suggests it makes a 1-2k ft difference.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 9.55.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 9.55.50 PM.png
    818.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 9.54.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 9.54.58 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 436834703_277293202122612_8988078763437306966_n.jpg
    436834703_277293202122612_8988078763437306966_n.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 0
That was University of New South Wales - my team. Here's a CAD screenshot and photos of the bottom and top rail guides (slightly different designs due to the bottom assembly pulling double duty as a centering ring.) RASAero suggests it makes a 1-2k ft difference.
I'd never have guessed it makes that much difference -- totally worth it!

Yes, but that is really not material to the discussion of rail guides.
Sure it is. Aren't we trying to affect the height the rocket gets to? In the case of squared off rail guides, we're trying to make it go lower. In the case of streamlined or retracting ones, we're trying to make it go higher. If budget matters, using a streamlined guide and a small motor is cheaper than using a draggy, ugly, abominable rail guide and a big motor.
I should think that this guide would have separation at the back. It would probably be lower drag to extend the "boat tail" part further back at a gentler angle, or just use a gentler taper at this length and cut it off sharp and square. Extending the front might help a little, too, but I doubt anywhere near as much. That's for subsonic speeds. Maybe for supersonic, it should be diamond shaped or something? I'd guess the shape shown would have some pretty strong shock waves, even a bit below Mach 1.
I'd never have guessed it makes that much difference -- totally worth it!
Of course it does. Low Reynolds number, terrible shape making for a high drag coefficient.... Unless it's low enough to hide in the boundary layer. Of course, one wonders, one or two k out of what?

Can you give the cross section dimensions that are customary? It might be fun to do a 3D body in CAD.

On supersonic rockets, one could just use a low temperature plastic. Canadians could use reinforced ice.

I'd like to see retractable rail guides. I've got an idea how to do it. The cool factor might outweigh the weight penalty.. Pun intended.

The issue w/ retraction is that it leaves a weight imbalance on one side of the vehicle (as do rail guides), assuring coning if the vehicle spins. The solution to that issue is to add counterweight on the opposite side of the rocket.

My simulations for the particular rockets I am working on indicate that the weight penalty results in lower performance than fly-away guides or a four rail launcher.

Bill

I have often wondered which is better:

Solid rail guides like I made in post 34 or the conformal rail guides. Based on many videos, the more external walls there are, the stronger the guide. Why do people put a grove in the center?

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 6.45.47 AM.png

It is for flexion or expansion?

I have often wondered which is better:

Solid rail guides like I made in post 34 or the conformal rail guides. Based on many videos, the more external walls there are, the stronger the guide. Why do people put a grove in the center?

View attachment 644203

It is for flexion or expansion?
It is my understanding that conformal guides are designed to closely adapt to the airframe on which they're affixed so as to provide a thin, uniform layer of epoxy, both maximizing grip while minimizing air turbulence.
"More external walls" = stronger? I don't see that (please explain).
Correct me if I err, but the central axial groove, I think, is to minimize the chances of a rocket locking up on a rail by allowing slight 'collapse' of the rail guide upon takeoff.

It is my understanding that conformal guides are designed to closely adapt to the airframe on which they're affixed so as to provide a thin, uniform layer of epoxy, both maximizing grip while minimizing air turbulence.
"More external walls" = stronger? I don't see that (please explain).
Correct me if I err, but the central axial groove, I think, is to minimize the chances of a rocket locking up on a rail by allowing slight 'collapse' of the rail guide upon takeoff.
No idea on the axial groove. When 3D printing, the more layers you have on the parameters, the stronger the print. Infill can help but less than the parameters.

A preliminary idea for a rail gulde that might be low drag. Obviously it needs a couple of mounting holes, and some of the edges might need to be radiused or broken. But ain't it swoopy? I've drawn it with .010" clearance. The swoopy comes from cutting away what's outside two ellipses. Three if you want to be fussy about it, I suppose, but I actually drew only a quarter of it and then mirrored.

railguide050724.JPG

A preliminary idea for a rail gulde that might be low drag. Obviously it needs a couple of mounting holes, and some of the edges might need to be radiused or broken. But ain't it swoopy? I've drawn it with .010" clearance. The swoopy comes from cutting away what's outside two ellipses. Three if you want to be fussy about it, I suppose, but I actually drew only a quarter of it and then mirrored.

View attachment 644357
Not having the proper equipment to fabricate them myself, I'd certainly pay someone for numerous sets of these - well-done, indeed! 😻👏

I'd like to see retractable rail guides. I've got an idea how to do it. The cool factor might outweigh the weight penalty.. Pun intended.
I was thinking about this yesterday.
Something along the lines of a landing gear bay door that is spring actuated.
Now you've got me thinking about it again, I'll try and draw something up..

3D printing and rocketry: many do it, but I think it's right up there with elastics and rocketry. John Coker has it right.
That is the great part about rocketry. There are many ways to do it safely. The best part about 3d printing is going from idea to reality in 24 hours.

View attachment 644357
I like it.

Not having the proper equipment to fabricate them myself, I'd certainly pay someone for numerous sets of these - well-done, indeed! 😻👏
If you had a regular rail guide of reasonable length, you could make something like this by attacking it with a file. Or a scroll saw.

--------------
Incidentally, it seems to me that, for BFR's, it might be handy to have rail guides that could be inserted into the rail and THEN attached to the rocket somehow. Maybe rare earth magnets?

If you had a regular rail guide of reasonable length, you could make something like this by attacking it with a file. Or a scroll saw.

--------------
Incidentally, it seems to me that, for BFR's, it might be handy to have rail guides that could be inserted into the rail and THEN attached to the rocket somehow. Maybe rare earth magnets?
Not sure I understand the mechanics of a scroll saw to effectuate construction, as much as I like your proposed design. A file? I already hate sanding; please don't add filing to the mix. 😆 (Maybe, though, a sanding disk on a lathe...)
------------------------
A) how is that an advantage, except for loading the BFR onto the rail?
B) and when the BFR exits the rail, do not those rare earth magnets then stay on the rocket (or is a blockage for the magnets' escape at the top of the rail, but somehow they do not influence the planned trajectory of said BFR?)?

NOT trying to thwart your idea(s), as I think it's/they're quite good, just trying to think them through (proof I'm not a government employee. . .).

Please don't quit with your imagination and suggestions!!

Not sure I understand the mechanics of a scroll saw to effectuate construction, as much as I like your proposed design. A file? I already hate sanding; please don't add filing to the mix. 😆 (Maybe, though, a sanding disk on a lathe...)
------------------------
A) how is that an advantage, except for loading the BFR onto the rail?
B) and when the BFR exits the rail, do not those rare earth magnets then stay on the rocket (or is a blockage for the magnets' escape at the top of the rail, but somehow they do not influence the planned trajectory of said BFR?)?

NOT trying to thwart your idea(s), as I think it's/they're quite good, just trying to think them through (proof I'm not a government employee. . .).

Please don't quit with your imagination and suggestions!!
The shape I've shown could be acheived with 3 or 4 cylindrical cuts starting from an extrusion. Not cylindrical as in round, but cylindrical as in of constant cross section. The CAD system calls these extruded cuts. When you sand, do you always use fresh paper and a sanding block? I've run into a kind of sandpaper from 3M that is purple, and clogs more slowly than other types. A nice feature is that you can wet sand with it, keeping it cleaner, cutting faster, and keeping the dust under control. The ideal tool might be a miniature surform. Maybe some cheese graters would be up to the task.
A clever person might figure out a couple of jigs to use with a router, enabling a new part every few minutes, but routers are noisy and dusty.

---------
A) Making loading easier is what I had in mind.

B) I hadn't thought of leaving the magnets or the,hardware on the rail, but that could be arranged.

Back