TVC, how hard actually?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTP2

Reaction score
I am looking for a long term project and after I get my L1 my plan is unknown, so I was thinking about it and it looks like I could do it what do you think? My skills are I can solder I know how to program. The problems I foresee are,
1. Math I only have knowledge of algebra so some copy and paste is probably going to be needed for code that needs advanced math.
2.I know python not C++ that most microcontrollers use.
3.all the standard problems that you never foresee.

Ahh..Thrust Vector Control......

This is Very hard both mechanically and math wise.

A little easier but still not easy is Atitude control using aerodynamic surfaces.

Do some searches on the forums here and read about attempts both successful and failed.

Ahh..Thrust Vector Control......

This is Very hard both mechanically and math wise.

A little easier but still not easy is Atitude control using aerodynamic surfaces.

Do some searches on the forums here and read about attempts both successful and failed.
I should note that I have someone who I can get help from for the math since they are a electrical engineer.

It seems to me that the physical part will be easy the gimbal is available at bps.com and the flight computer is well within my skills the hard part is the PID control does anyone have recommendation for a place to start with that?

From Ebay ad:
The code supplied on Github is quite new and untested, it's recommended that you write your own.

Nova Rocketry TVC Capable model rocket flight computer. Open source project:
https://github.com/Brian-179/Megadingus-FC

Link to github does work.

NOTE they say code is UN-TESTED and recommend you write your own code.

Looking at the code and there is a lot of code there. This would be a good place to start, learn what this code does.

Last edited:
From Ebay ad:

Looking at the code and there is a lot of code there. This would be a good place to start, learn what this code does.
yeah was pretty easy to find, but it looks similar to other code snippets like this...

From Ebay ad:

That was my plan!

I did a quick look at the code. I recognize large chunks of similar code from my projects. At present, I have not attempted to take a bite of TVC. The main issue I perceive from my quick review was tuning the control system.

One thing about TVC -vs- aerodynamic control is that a model rocket, it is only under thrust for a relatively short time.

IOW, most of the time going from launch to apogee is spent in the coast phase and TVC won't help you once the motor burns out ...

-- kjh

One thing about TVC -vs- aerodynamic control is that a model rocket, it is only under thrust for a relatively short time.

IOW, most of the time going from launch to apogee is spent in the coast phase and TVC won't help you once the motor burns out ...

-- kjh
I agree with this. I guess it depends why you want to use TVC or aerodynamic control. I assume it's mostly because you want to challenge yourself with the software and mechanical efforts for either solution. It's your hobby and dive into it anyway that you want.

I just like to fly and burn motors! For me, TVC and Aerodynamic control has no attraction. It would be nice, but for me, not worth the engineering effort. Now if there was a commercial solution available that would keep my rockets flying straight up to apogee, or allow a predetermined path into the wind so they landed closer to the pad, that would be even better, I would be interested in that.

I agree with this. I guess it depends why you want to use TVC or aerodynamic control. I assume it's mostly because you want to challenge yourself with the software and mechanical efforts for either solution. It's your hobby and dive into it anyway that you want.

I just like to fly and burn motors! For me, TVC and Aerodynamic control has no attraction. It would be nice, but for me, not worth the engineering effort. Now if there was a commercial solution available that would keep my rockets flying straight up to apogee, or allow a predetermined path into the wind so they landed closer to the pad, that would be even better, I would be interested in that.
I could release the code and the PCB you would just have to do some basic soldering and adjust the settings for your rocket. Edit and need a 3d printer!

I will note that there seem to be a lot more TVC flight computers and gimbal designs out there than successfully flown systems. I'd be nervous about spending money on something that is not proven to work.

Developing your own system is definitely possible. I hang out on Joe Barnard's Discord server, and there are a decent number of people who have developed their own systems, some of them to the point of successful propulsive landing. Most of them are high school or college students.

I will note that there seem to be a lot more TVC flight computers and gimbal designs out there than successfully flown systems. I'd be nervous about spending money on something that is not proven to work.

Developing your own system is definitely possible. I hang out on Joe Barnard's Discord server, and there are a decent number of people who have developed their own systems, some of them to the point of successful propulsive landing. Most of them are high school or college students.
I am in 9th grade so I qualify as a high school student so it will be easy right (laughs sarcastically).

I don't encourage people to attempt TVC projects. I only know of two successful powered launch and powered landings. Of the people I have helped or encouraged in their efforts, few have launched and parachute recovered a system. I wouldn't call all of the launches successful, but they had some flight control and didn't crash. The others were unsuccessful.

I don't encourage people to attempt TVC projects. I only know of two successful powered launch and powered landings. Of the people I have helped or encouraged in their efforts, few have launched and parachute recovered a system. I wouldn't call all of the launches successful, but they had some flight control and didn't crash. The others were unsuccessful.
I have heard of 4 ish 1 was very rough lots of wobble.

The best development system that, I know, for learning TVC control is a single motor counter rotating fan hover drone. It allows hours of flight time without breaking too many parts.

Back