Trajector on a G?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several years ago at NOTRA’s field - probably an Estes 29mm BP F15, I don’t remember exactly but that’s likely. As usual, my last flight - let’s get one just more in the air fever…got me. It had the pods but I’d snipped off the remaining 2 “antenna” greebles after the first broke off. As you said, those E2X PSIIs work ok on F15s, if the winds are light. They weren’t and I shouldn’t have tried one that day.

Oh well, I have another one on the shelf - I was saving it for one of those awesome John Pursley vinyl wraps but never got around to buying one before he passed. The files are available on JimZ’s site so I might try printing one myself on the library’s makerspace large format printer.

Was that on the Amhurst Exit on the Turnpike , with field to the south of the turnpike? The wind can blow there later on in the day if I recall.

I used to fly there very often in the past. I'm not doing trips over 20-30 mins over the last few years. Hoping to get better with that soon.

Was that on the Amhurst Exit on the Turnpike , with field to the south of the turnpike? The wind can blow there later on in the day if I recall.

I used to fly there very often in the past. I'm not doing trips over 20-30 mins over the last few years. Hoping to get better with that soon.
Yup, that's our club field. Because of the turnpike we don't launch when the wind is from the south.

Captain Kirk Ken.... I shall consider it. Do you have the 1/4" lugs on yours? Are there any rules regarding drag races?
Lol, sure and no pressure, it's just for fun.
Generally it's first one off the pads wins, but you can choose variations with first one up and back to the pads, highest (if same motor), closest back to the pads, etc.

I have the stock lugs on mine, but I can easily add buttons.

1000017771.jpg

I launched mine Sunday (per techrat's post) on a F27. Flew well.

I'm not sure a CR and wrapped in a blanket will fit in that easily. Practice a few fold methods and setups to make sure it shakes out easily.

I'd also be careful about anything that gets it cranking at high speed. Not sure it's built for that. And how's the stability with that larger motor? I feel like mine (built stock) is tail heavy.

Finally, where did you find a SIM file for it? I couldn't find one.

I made my own file, attached below. It's a simple rocket. Obviously the nose cone is not 100% accurate, but that's small potatoes.

Note that I used "smooth paint" because mine is completely wrapped, and the final is indeed quite smooth.

Stability does not seem to be a problem on any of the referenced motors.

Attachments

• trajector.ork
    3.6 KB · Views: 0
I made my own file, attached below. It's a simple rocket. Obviously the nose cone is not 100% accurate, but that's small potatoes.

Note that I used "smooth paint" because mine is completely wrapped, and the final is indeed quite smooth.

Stability does not seem to be a problem on any of the referenced motors.
Cool! I thought about making one, but I'm pretty busy these days. Thanks for sharing. Maybe one day I can modify yours to match mine.

I'll be at LDRS. I'll have to keep an eye out for the smooth Trajector.

In addition to being well-glued (I think) mine are completely encased in vinyl skins, especially the all-important leading edge. I have a lot of other potential problems (mostly my own stupid mistakes) but that shouldn't be one of them.

One problem area I have seen in those E2X PSII models is the Shock Cord retention and having it break right at that spot. A friend of mine build his stock and it broke there. He did get the cone and chute back, as it had my JLCR on it and it fell quick before deploy. The body back slide in a landing also little damage.

I drilled holes in my centering rings around the motor mount to pass thru a Kevlar cord tied in a loop under the bottom centering ring and pass up thru the rings and up the tube.

I would then tie it in a water knot to the Elastic that came with it. If the Elastic becomes worn, it is easy to replace.
If the Kevlar gets burnt and worn over a long time you can replace it also feeding the replacement up the holes with a small music wire as the pull guide.

I launched mine Sunday (per techrat's post) on a F27. Flew well.

I'm not sure a CR and wrapped in a blanket will fit in that easily. Practice a few fold methods and setups to make sure it shakes out easily.

I'd also be careful about anything that gets it cranking at high speed. Not sure it's built for that. And how's the stability with that larger motor? I feel like mine (built stock) is tail heavy.

Finally, where did you find a SIM file for it? I couldn't find one.

In my Estes Ascenders, which are the same tube, a small blanket could be put on top of the dog barf and below the JLCR/Parachute burrito. Mostly I just used dog barf and had little trouble.

One of my Ascenders before I had the JLCR, was hung up in Tree in a Woods in a Bog, with my Big Bee GPS telling me right where it was at but no one could get to it 😲

One problem area I have seen in those E2X PSII models is the Shock Cord retention and having it break right at that spot. A friend of mine build his stock and it broke there. He did get the cone and chute back, as it had my JLCR on it and it fell quick before deploy. The body back slide in a landing also little damage.

I drilled holes in my centering rings around the motor mount to pass thru a Kevlar cord tied in a loop under the bottom centering ring and pass up thru the rings and up the tube.

I would then tie it in a water knot to the Elastic that came with it. If the Elastic becomes worn, it is easy to replace.
If the Kevlar gets burnt and worn over a long time you can replace it also feeding the replacement up the holes with a small music wire as the pull guide.
That all sounds good but I won't have the opportunity to make any such mods to mine between now and then. I think I've flown it only once or twice and the shock cord is still pretty fresh (I'll double check it before I head out). If it can just survive this one flight I'll be satisfied.

Mostly I just used dog barf and had little trouble.
I'm hoping that'll be sufficient. I'll have dog barf + JLCR + parachute + Altimeter 3. The electronics are my main reason for hoping not to lose the rocket.

It’s this guy. Come and say hello in any case.

View attachment 646298
Well that one's already won the beauty pageant part of our drag race! Lol

From what I recall, I built mine stock, but I'll be sure to check the retention.

I often build stupidly complex stuff, so every once in a while I enjoy a simple stock/stockish build just to launch some rockets without having to think over things too much and just to enjoy rocketry like most other people. :)

Well that one's already won the beauty pageant part of our drag race! Lol

From what I recall, I built mine stock, but I'll be sure to check the retention.

I often build stupidly complex stuff, so every once in a while I enjoy a simple stock/stockish build just to launch some rockets without having to think over things too much and just to enjoy rocketry like most other people. :)
That one was my combo (a) first MPR, and (b) first Accur8 skin. It was a comparatively easy one to learn on, before I tackled the Ragnarok Interceptor. The NASA skin is really nice though.

Terribly sad to have lost John Pursley, he was an irreplaceable asset to the hobby.

Lol, sure and no pressure, it's just for fun.
Generally it's first one off the pads wins, but you can choose variations with first one up and back to the pads, highest (if same motor), closest back to the pads, etc.

I have the stock lugs on mine, but I can easily add buttons.

Mine is a little bit up and won't win any beauty contests, but I'll bring it along. Maybe we can fill a rack/row with Trajectors for a fun drag race. I've got original lugs and buttons on mine, I prefer to fly all 29mm and up with buttons.

Also - JLCR works great in this rocket.

@neil_w, that skin looks great on your rocket!

cheers - mark

trajector.jpg

Back