The Eggtimer EZ-DD Rocket/Altimeter, a Complete Dual-Deploy Package for $100

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Eggtimer Rocketry is proud to announce the pending availability of the Eggtimer EZ-DD Rocket/Altimeter package. One of the most frequent questions that we have received over the past 11 years has been "What do I need to get started in dual-deploy?". The answer has always been an a la carte approach... an altimeter, pick a rocket kit, you'll need to get some bits for the sled, some more for the hardware, some charge wells, some wiring, some terminal blocks, parachutes, etc. etc. etc. It occurred to us that there is a need for a complete package, including the rocket, altimeter, AV bay parts, and all of the hardware and wiring necessary for a dual-deploy newbie to build and fly their first build. So, we created one!

The Eggtimer EZ-DD rocket is a 3" diameter 40" long cardboard/wood rocket, based on the venerable Balsa Machining 3" School Rocket, but with a 12" parachute payload bay and a custom dual-deploy AV bay. It has a 29mm motor mount, and flies great on G and H motors, and will also handle some I's too. It weighs about 24 oz without the motor. The apogee break is drogueless due to the light weight of the rocket, main recovery is with a 24" Top Flight parachute; we include two 10' Kevlar shock cords.

The altimeter is specially-designed for the EZ-DD rocket, and is about as simple as you can get. It's almost all through-hole construction, so you're not going to be working with those tiny fiddly little surface-mount parts. It features an "Apogee" output that fires just past apogee for your drogue output, with the "Main" output firing at 600'. The EZ-DD altimeter features an integral electronic push-button switch... you press the button to turn it on, and hold the button for 5+ seconds to turn it off. This prevents any vibrations that may "bounce" the button in flight from turning off the altimeter and preventing deployments. It features a dual-ended output design for ground safety, similar to our WiFi-enabled altimeters... there is no "common" connection between the battery and the outputs, both sides of the ematches are switched off until the outputs are triggered in flight. It's also compatible with our Eggtimer Telemetry System, so you can add voice telemetry if you want. Finally, it's designed to use a common 9V alkaline battery... we recommend the 6LR61 types, since they use welded cells and are more reliable than the pressed-cell batteries.

The EZ-DD Rocket/Altimeter package is $100. We have a roomful of parts right now, and expect to have everything ready to ship out in about a week or so.

As usual, thanks for your continued support!

Cris Erving, Eggtimer Rocketry

thumbnail_IMG_0782c.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0776b.jpg

Eggtimer Rocketry is proud to announce the pending availability of the Eggtimer EZ-DD Rocket/Altimeter package. One of the most frequent questions that we have received over the past 11 years has been "What do I need to get started in dual-deploy?". The answer has always been an a la carte approach... an altimeter, pick a rocket kit, you'll need to get some bits for the sled, some more for the hardware, some charge wells, some wiring, some terminal blocks, parachutes, etc. etc. etc. It occurred to us that there is a need for a complete package, including the rocket, altimeter, AV bay parts, and all of the hardware and wiring necessary for a dual-deploy newbie to build and fly their first build. So, we created one!

The Eggtimer EZ-DD rocket is a 3" diameter 40" long cardboard/wood rocket, based on the venerable Balsa Machining 3" School Rocket, but with a 12" parachute payload bay and a custom dual-deploy AV bay. It has a 29mm motor mount, and flies great on G and H motors, and will also handle some I's too. It weighs about 24 oz without the motor. The apogee break is drogueless due to the light weight of the rocket, main recovery is with a 24" Top Flight parachute; we include two 10' Kevlar shock cords.

The altimeter is specially-designed for the EZ-DD rocket, and is about as simple as you can get. It's almost all through-hole construction, so you're not going to be working with those tiny fiddly little surface-mount parts. It features an "Apogee" output that fires just past apogee for your drogue output, with the "Main" output firing at 600'. The EZ-DD altimeter features an integral electronic push-button switch... you press the button to turn it on, and hold the button for 5+ seconds to turn it off. This prevents any vibrations that may "bounce" the button in flight from turning off the altimeter and preventing deployments. It features a dual-ended output design for ground safety, similar to our WiFi-enabled altimeters... there is no "common" connection between the battery and the outputs, both sides of the ematches are switched off until the outputs are triggered in flight. It's also compatible with our Eggtimer Telemetry System, so you can add voice telemetry if you want. Finally, it's designed to use a common 9V alkaline battery... we recommend the 6LR61 types, since they use welded cells and are more reliable than the pressed-cell batteries.

The EZ-DD Rocket/Altimeter package is $100. We have a roomful of parts right now, and expect to have everything ready to ship out in about a week or so.

As usual, thanks for your continued support!

Cris Erving, Eggtimer Rocketry

View attachment 638214

View attachment 638216
Awesome

Looking at this photo, it seems the only SMT devices I can see is the BARO Sensor in the silver package next to the yellow Cap in the center under the Piezo beeper and the large regulator ???

It would go together easy !
Correct, and the baro sensor comes pre-mounted (it's a leadless package). The regulator is easy to solder... it's a pretty big part by SMT standards, with large leads and pads. It's not available in a through-hole package, so we had to go with the SOT-223 package.

Very nice, this is a great intro kit for DD. I DIY’ed something very similar (got the 34” tubing for the 3” School Rocket) with a Quantum, and it ran me at least $150, so this is a great deal.
Finally, it's designed to use a common 9V alkaline battery...
Will it work with a 2S LiPo, or does it require the 9V?

Any plans to have the altimeter kit avalable by itself? (as stand-alone product).

A couple of things: First of all, heed Cris' recommendation for a 9V battery of the 6LR61alkaline type, or use a lithium-based 9V battery. There are some good choices there that don't cost like an Energizer Ultimate Lithium. I did some testing that wound up as an R&D report at this year's virtual NARCON. NAR members can go download both the report and the presentation I gave in January which has some specifics.

Second, I've never been really all that interested in doing a pyro-based dual deployment rocket, but this package looks really interesting to me.

I'll defer to Cris to respond about the 2s LiPoly, but I expect the answer is "yes" considering how much even the good alkaline 9V batteries drop their voltage under the load of trying to fire an igniter — well below where even a small 2s LiPoly battery would fall under the same load.

Very nice, this is a great intro kit for DD. I DIY’ed something very similar (got the 34” tubing for the 3” School Rocket) with a Quantum, and it ran me at least $150, so this is a great deal.

Will it work with a 2S LiPo, or does it require the 9V?
Yes, it will work with a 2S Lipo. I chose the 9V route because it's easier for beginners... they don't have to hassle with finding the "right" Lipo battery and charger, and I'm not in a position to start sourcing them.

Any plans to have the altimeter kit avalable by itself? (as stand-alone product).
Not at this time, the rocket and altimeter were designed together so everything fits just right (.i.e. the pre-drilled access hole for the push-button switch in the AV bay and payload tube, which is visible in the picture, lines up exactly with the switch position on the PC board. If you're in a position to design your own AV bay, you're probably ready for a more versatile altimeter, such as a Quark or Quantum.

I chose the 9V route because it's easier for beginners... they don't have to hassle with finding the "right" Lipo battery and charger

That was a smart move, as it lessens the entry fee and confusion for someone with no experience with Lipos. One less thing to hold a new DD flyer back.

Well done.

snip

Second, I've never been really all that interested in doing a pyro-based dual deployment rocket, but this package looks really interesting to me.

snip
I wonder what the output spec is? Maybe it could drive one of those 4mm motors with a tiny threaded rod on the end, with a nut to unlatch something.
https://theelectronicgoldmine.com/collections/dc-motors/products/g25388
Or maybe just bypass the electronics in an RC servo and drive the motor directly.
--------
Whoops. Just saw post #19. Above is probably more appropriate with one of the other kits Eggtimer offers.

I’ve proselytized for the BMS 3” School Rocket for quite awhile and the same with Eggtimer stuff so, even though the last thing I need is another kit on the pile, this is too good a setup to pass up - I didn’t REALLY want to build that Estes #1969 Saturn V anyway…😎

I’ve got a Quantum, a Quasar and Tracking so this altimeter looks to be a simple assembly job
I’m definitely interested in one for myself as a trainer kit for the kids😜

Back