• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Star Wars X-Wing nears completion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy, your the greatest and Thank you for letting my kids sit in the X-Wing Fighter!!! They had all smiles on them when they had the chance to sit in the cockpit.

Jesse

There's your "anecdotal evidence" of someone who was really impressed with the way the weekend went, despite the demise.

Well, that is good to hear. I'm just telling you what I've encountered, that people have sought me out as a rocketeer they know just to give me varying degrees of grief about the outcome from light hearted razzing to pretty insulting and condescending. I have a sneaking suspicion that the reaction is weighted more toward what I have encountered among people who were not actually there.

Some footage of what really happened that day... (contains one curse)

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="370" wmode="transparent" data="https://www.liveleak.com/player.swf?autostart=false&token=a8d_1192187599"><param name="movie" value="https://www.liveleak.com/player.swf?autostart=false&token=a8d_1192187599"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="quality" value="high"></object>

Well now we know the truth!

That's funny stuff. Perfect.

Some footage of what really happened that day... (contains one curse)

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="370" wmode="transparent" data="https://www.liveleak.com/player.swf?autostart=false&token=a8d_1192187599"><param name="movie" value="https://www.liveleak.com/player.swf?autostart=false&token=a8d_1192187599"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="quality" value="high"></object>

LMAO!! That was awesome.

Holy !!!! That Shoot down video Was FunnY!!!!!
---------------------
The X-Wing, good for model Rocketry?
Just some thoughts and commentary from my personal experience this week.

My e-mail has been packed the last few days with questions and comments about this launch.
It was a very public event (thanks to youtube and the like). So regular people see the video and contact little old me. They know Rocketry is my thing, I guess?:D

Non-Rocket folks see this launch and then ask Me questions. Here's a sample.
-Are all model rocket launches this big?
- That was so cool! I hope it works next time.
- What is the next project like this. I can't wait to see it! (tons of reaction like that)
- How long is the drive to Plaster City?:D
- Lots of: So... when is the next launch around here?
- My Kid wants an X-wing... got any? (no)
- And of course... " so how much would it cost for you to build me one of those?" :surprised:

The X-Wing truly got a lot of attention from the general public. We should try to use this to the advantage of Rocketry in general.
I am steering all interested parties toward our local big club launch, CMASS, Amesbury!
I have also given a lot of freebie kits out this week! "Here kid, it's not a giant X-Wing, but this is where you start."

This whole thing seems to generate much needed exposure, even if some folks feel it should have been done differently.
I do hope those folks try their own giant projects and they all get seen on Youtube. That would be a Win Win for all concerned and the hobby.

Always looking on the Bright Side!
David S. Mackiernan

Now that video was..... what adjective to choose...ahh, hilarious, funny, creative, fantastic?

How about just plain ol' excellent.

Bravo to the team that did this project and for pushing the envelope.

I think this project was great for rocketry! It has certainly garnered a lot of attention from the non-rocket community. Maybe the ATF will now realize that rocketry is a safe hobby and get off our backs.

I hope the Star Wars X-Wing trickles down to model rocketry. I'll buy one. And I don't mean one like the one Estes made. I want the Plaster Blaster version with wings designed to fly off in mid-flight and a radio controlled chicken switch to keep the rocket from hitting the flight line. I don't know if the Plaster Blaster version was designed to launch four mono-copters, but that was a nice feature.

The model rocket version could use four D-12s, but this would need to weight 8 pounds to get the desired 3 Gs of thrust. The model rocket version would have to be limited to C motors to get the weight under 3.3 pounds.

I enjoyed watching the project come along, and Saturday's launch was just flat awesome; both the X and the Y wing.

It 're-ignited' my interest, as well as my son's.

Would I have approached some things differently? Probably...

Would it have made a difference? Maybe, maybe not...

I think it is of utmost importance that we, as ambassadors of model rocketry, be responsible and ensure that when folks ask questions about this launch (and others), or see it for the first time, they understand the complexity of large experimental projects, the extra safety taken (they don't need to hear about or internal differing opinions), and the much higher likleyhood of failures.

Success is measured on many levels, and doesn't need to be 100% to meet the definition.

Congrat's Andy and team, I enjoyed it, it was a blast... :tee:

For what its worth,

folks where I work came over to me today to see if I had seen the Tie Fighter take down the full size X-wing video.

Even some in marketing :surprised:

They all thought it was kewl, yet were dissapointed it didn't work right.

Some were interested in more about rockets, so I recomended they come out to our NASCAR track Michigan Speedway for this Saturday's JMRC rocket launch to see some kewl hobby rockets.

While I am not thrilled with the results and what I feel the project did or didn't do for the hobby, I must say that I just about pooped myself laughing at the TIE fighter clip.:lol:

Contrary to what G4 said/implied. The X-wing did not "blow up". It went random and broke apart. I was there.. I really don't like the suggestion that it detonated in any way. :mad: :rolleyes:

BB - Tulsa, OK

Contrary to what G4 said/implied. The X-wing did not "blow up". It went random and broke apart. I was there.. I :mad: :rolleyes:

BB - Tulsa, OK
"...I really don't like the suggestion that it detonated in any way."

You and me both.

That's why - when some one said Andy hit the "chicken switch" when it went off course, I thought they were joking.

I was wondering if there was a range safey device with "explosive bolts" , which presents a host of other concerns - 'ala "squirm'in hatch blower".

Then someone mentioned that there was an RC recovery device which I take it to mean that the parchute ejection system was under positive control.

Tha made a little more sense.

Contrary to what G4 said/implied. The X-wing did not "blow up". It went random and broke apart.

Yes, but that's par for the course in any media account. Ask somebody about the "Challenger aerodynamic structural failure" and they'll look at you funny. Ask them about the "Challenger explosion," and they'll tell you where they were right away.

Even though it's not an explosion, it sure fits like a glove to see the TIE fighter shooting it down.

This reminds me of an event at WSMR a few years ago. I was there to watch over the telemetry system. A useless exercise but that is another story...

On this particular flight test of a missile pulled from the Army stockpile, the vehicle failed in a spectacular way about ten seconds into the flight. Project management started out insisting that Range Safety had pushed the button resulting in the explosion. Anything to keep it from being a missile failure I guess.

Then someone pointed out that one of the requirements for a flight termination system is that besides reducing the thrust to zero it must cut the vehicle into two pieces. Since the actual event tore apart the payload section, scattering 700+ sub munitions all over the countryside, that would be a failure of the Flight Termination System. Management then changed their tune. Of course it didn't matter as the failure was obviously in the missile and the records showed that Range Safety didn't hit the button until after the missile blew up. It helps when every data source, including video, has the time recorded on it.

I have to wonder whether or not this vehicle should have had at least one private test launch away from the public and cameras. I can't fault the effort, though - it was a cool rocket. But isn't HPR stuff built with the intent that it can fly more than once? Seems I remember that rule from LPR stuff. Stuff happens, even with a proven design, but when you invite non-rocketry friends to a launch in your backyard or playground (analogous to posting a video on the web) you show 'em something that works and has worked before.

I have to wonder whether or not this vehicle should have had at least one private test launch away from the public and cameras.

When and where could you do that? And would it be practical considering the cost of four L motors?

-- Roger

Back