Source for flat kevlar cord (1/4")

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zyzzyva1000

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been making most of my own shock cords, but I have a few larger rockets I want to use 1/4 flat kevlar cord. What I am looking for is similar to this: https://www.erockets.biz/erockets-braided-kevlar-shock-cord-1-4-x-15-erk-9210/

I am hoping to just find a roll of it. I have a knot I like to use to make loops on each end, and I have some heavy needles and small kevlar to sew the end down and then I put some heat shrink over the whole thing. Has worked well with smaller stuff, but I was hoping to do the same with some larger stuff as well. I have quite a few flat nylon webbing cords that are getting crispy and need replacing. I am just not sure where to source something like the above in larger quantities.

Contact Kenny at Performance Hobbies. HI don't think it's on his website, but he has tubular Kevlar and 1/2" flat Kevlar mule tape which I really like for rockets up to about 10 lbs.

Contact Kenny at Performance Hobbies. HI don't think it's on his website, but he has tubular Kevlar and 1/2" flat Kevlar mule tape which I really like for rockets up to about 10 lbs.
Thats the stuff I couldn't remember - mule tape. I think thats what was provided with my last dragon rocketry kit (and it worked great).

Kevlar is also generically called "aramid"
search for
aramid woven tube, aramid woven rope.
aramid braided tube, aramid braided rope.
some of the search results may give tube for insulation that may not be load-rated and the Chinese sites have a habit of choosing random images that may not be what you get. Good luck.

Last edited:
I let it slide because I have plenty of 5/8 inch so I didn't 'need' any 1/2 inch.

I do like the 1/4 inch for MPR / small HPR though -- the flat tape makes a nice anchor for a smaller diameter shock cord in them.

-- kjh

I use this stuff. You can go directly to the 5Col website for other lengths, they ship very quickly. They have larger spools that are sometimes avaialble, if you can do a group order.

https://5col.com/products/mil-spec-braided-kevlar-cord?variant=25483026632
I ordered some of that, It already arrived. I am debating it's it's worth trying to learn how to splice loops or if I should just stick with my knot and anchor system I use. I appreciate all the recommendations, looks like I have a lot of options for what I want now.

Back