• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Return of the Estes 1:100th scale Saturn V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
The May/June 2024 issue of Sport Rocketry magazine features a new ad on the inside front cover for the re-release of the 1:100th scale Saturn V model.

Estes Saturn V ad 04-24.jpg

It has a new product number (1967) compared to the previous release (1969).
(1967 being the year of the first Saturn V flight and 1969 the year of the Apollo 11 moon landing).

The ad makes quite a big deal about "Upgraded 29mm Motor Mount". The previous Saturn V and Saturn V/Skylab releases featured a 29mm motor mount so I am not sure what is the importance of this mention.

The ad makes quite a big deal about "Upgraded 29mm Motor Mount". The previous Saturn V and Saturn V/Skylab releases featured a 29mm motor mount so I am not sure what is the importance of this mention.

CATO proof for E12 motors. 🤣

Since they're replicating the old Saturn V I assume that it will have some construction items that have been supplanted by simpler items in the newer Saturn V. Making it more challenging to build.

Anyone who has built the old Saturn V and can comment on old construction that was a PITA challenging?

Since they're replicating the old Saturn V I assume that it will have some construction items that have been supplanted by simpler items in the newer Saturn V. Making it more challenging to build.

Anyone who has built the old Saturn V and can comment on old construction that was a PITA challenging?
https://boyceaerospacehobbies.com/products/saturn-v-fin-can

I haven't built it yet, but have the parts. The fin can should reduce the "Challenge", look better, and be more survivable. Worth the money to me (but I got it on sale last Christmas).

Does this mean one of y'all will pay for my kids' college in exchange for the 1969 I've been too lazy to build?

It still amazes me that they don't spec it out with 5x 18mm cluster or 5x 24mm cluster. Cooler looking with 5 motor cluster and they sell more motors per launch. Also easier to tweak needed thrust:weight ratio since the number of motor combos greatly increases with 18mm or 24mm clusters.

I'm guessing it's at least partially due to the fact that they don't sell a launch controller that can handle a 5 engine cluster.
The PS II controller can deliver the needed power to fire a 5 motor cluster, specially if you use the JST connector to use a 3cell LiPo battery. They'd need to modify the instructions on how to wire 5 starters together but the kit is one of their most complex so that is not a stretch to do.

I haven't built a Saturn V in a LONG time but I do recall there was the issue of the vaccuform wrap being molded backwards or something like that where things weren't where they should be.

It still amazes me that they don't spec it out with 5x 18mm cluster or 5x 24mm cluster. Cooler looking with 5 motor cluster and they sell more motors per launch. Also easier to tweak needed thrust:weight ratio since the number of motor combos greatly increases with 18mm or 24mm clusters.
The above Boyce fin can I referred to has mmt for 4x18mm plus either a central 24 or 29mm (your choice). Haven't built it, but I hear it's cool to see. Adds a little weight, so it will need more NC weight.

As for igniting all that, I have made wire harnesses or clip whips with 3 and 5 pairs of leads that make the connections. Easy enough to do. You could also load up 5 ignitors and see if they burn at the same time to test your controller.

Does anyone know when it will be available for purchase? Just checked the Estes website, nothing yet. I emailed Estes but have yet to receive a response. Maybe I should call them? Oh, let's not start this conversation again........

Email from Estes finally returned:

"The Saturn V 1967 will be available later this Fall. I show you are subscribed to our email notifications and this will be communicated via our website by an email notifying our subscribed customers of this...stay tuned !"

Email from Estes finally returned:

"The Saturn V 1967 will be available later this Fall. I show you are subscribed to our email notifications and this will be communicated via our website by an email notifying our subscribed customers of this...stay tuned !"
Thanks for the update. To be safe, I'll assume a Christmas ship date.

I have one I started when I was about 14 bought in the early 70s, lost the capsule. The paper shrouds over the engines for the fins to go in have been folded or crushed in many moves over the decades.

It has the wraps on, I think the best for that poor thing would be to bash it with 4 Saturn SA5 type fins removing the shrouds, and put a Gaucho nose capsule on it. If I even ever got around to that 😂

Edit: I sold my boxed pair of Sat-Vs before the 1969, but I have the 1969 that includes a Free Bonus Lunar Lander Plastic Model in the box still.

Hmm, glad it's not available until this fall! Boyce's can looks really inviting; like others, I can't imagine a Saturn V without the 5 motor plumes, as relatively small as they might be. Oh, to have the time and technical chops and craftsmanship to do a 5-5-1 3 stage! I've turned it over in my head many time, it'd be a real BOAL (Build of a Lifetime)! One thing I did come to the conclusion in my mind-simming was that 1:100 would be a bit small for such a project.

Last edited:
This is cool news. I mentioned on my introduction thread that I had discovered that I had an Estes Sat V kit but could not find the instructions and could not identify which kit. Finally found them and, as I expected, the kit is a 2157, 30th Anniversary Apollo 11 Saturn V! Need to get started on it pretty soon :p

Back