PS II Inspired Black Brant V

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Sonnyscopa paper now. I haven't remake the decals yet for my BB. I've been working on the Cuda missile and I dislike decals more than I dislike sanding :)

Someday I hope to build a BB VIII but that will require electronic staging and I don't feel I'm there yet. I am doing gap staging with 24 and 29mm black powder motors and really enjoy those flights.

The interstage coupler looks very complex on the rocket that you posted photos of. I am going to have to take another look at the IX. Does it have the Terrier booster?

Thanks for the photos,
-Bob

Or here, in the background. Only pic I can find. It seems to have almost the same markings of the rocket in the Alway drawing. The script in the white stripe is in a lower position.

BB VIII Like Alway Drawing.jpg

-Bob

Also, I have the privilege to have access to a Black Brant IX, which has the same second stage as the VIII (the BBV). Here are some generic pictures, but if anybody need specific ones I would be happy to take them.

JF

Pics taken in full sunlight would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Dave F.

1.JPG

2.JPG

NBB2.jpg

DSCN2062 - ADJ.jpg

DSCN2064 - ADJ.jpg

DSCN2065 - ADJ.jpg

FIN DETAIL - VC.JPG

TAIL ASSEMBLY - VC.JPG

NOSE CONE DETAIL.JPG

NOSE CONE DETAIL - 2.JPG

I have the Sonnyscopa paper now. I haven't remake the decals yet for my BB. I've been working on the Cuda missile and I dislike decals more than I dislike sanding :)

Someday I hope to build a BB VIII but that will require electronic staging and I don't feel I'm there yet. I am doing gap staging with 24 and 29mm black powder motors and really enjoy those flights.

The interstage coupler looks very complex on the rocket that you posted photos of. I am going to have to take another look at the IX. Does it have the Terrier booster?

Thanks for the photos,
-Bob
Yes, this is a Terrier booster.
20201203_134411.jpg

Pics taken in full sunlight would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Dave F.

Wow thanks for all the picture and blueprints!
I will definitely retake the pictures in bright sunlight. Could take some time because (for obvious reasons) I telework these days, but I will post new ones eventually.

jqavins wrote "This is not done until the maiden flight"

I thought that was going to be this weekend. I never posted this but the clear coat I used never fully dried. It's been a year and I have thought on and off about what to do during that time. Last week I finally decided to try clear coating it again and let the chips fall where they may.

Since building this rocket I have discovered Krylon Acryli-quik paint. I decided to clear coat it using that clear. Wha-la, problem solved. The clear coat came out super so I sewed up a recovery harness and it was then I discovered the nose cone was missing the plate with the eye bolt. I searched all over for it without luck. I started making a new plate Friday and finished it up this morning.

This is a rare weekend when the launch is actually both Saturday and Sunday so I loaded up Moby (my white Suburban) and headed to the launch field. In the ten minute drive there the wind went from a slight breeze at my home to the flag flying straight out at the field. I was intending to fly on with an Estes F50 but I changed my mind deciding to fly my first reload hoping the wind would let up while I assembled the motor. I fired up You Tube and assembled a G64 inside Moby (it was cold out). I had hoped the wind would have let up but it did not. I watched someone launch an Alpha which separated at deployment. The parachute headed south and kept going, going, going. I made the heart-wrenching decision not to fly.

The good news is that the rocket is ready to launch now. I also assembled my first reloadable motor. I'm crossing my fingers that it will launch next month.

-Bob

So today was a double first. First launch of this rocket and first time I have launched a reload.

Flight went great on the G64-7. Started great off the pad but the wind did weathercock it a little bit. Sim said around 1800 feet and that seemed about right. I used my JLCR set at 400 feet and it was flawless. Still drifted just a bit and found it in a mesquite bush.

Black Brant V PSII Land.jpg

So I guess this concludes this build thread. Thanks to all that followed.

-Bob

Back