Preferred masking film for vinyl cutter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarYellow

Basket of deployables.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about using a vinyl cutter for paint masks. What are y'all's preferred masking films?

-Frisket
-Cricut
-Oracal (Oramask)

I'd like it to be compatible with a transfer tape system for positioning complex masks.

What other brand/product info and/or wisdom can you impart?

I use Oracal products everyday and have not ever had an issue with their products. Transfer tape I like RTape 4075RLA. I have used the Oramask and is a very good product.

I use Cricut on my wife's Cricut. I have also used the el cheap o stuff. And yes, that is a brand. It all worked with the transfer paper. I do NOT use the permanent stuff for masks though.

Used Oracal's masking film a few times it has worked great (created and Model Masters paints). There is definitely a lower end on size. Less than 1/8" square is just going to come off the backing paper when cutting, as is anything very thin. I used it to mask my Odd'l F18 with a Blue Angels paint job.

I'm using the oracal. I find the cricut masking is too sticky

-Bob

I tried Oracal's Oramask 813 [edited product number] stencil film today, but it did not go as I had hoped. The grip was strong enough that it partially peeled the Estes tubes. I am working on the cargo containers for my Explorer Aquarius, so fortunately I have another 20 tubes to work on mastering this process ;)

Can anyone offer suggestions on either:
1) tricks to make the Oramask less sticky
2) a less tacky material for stencils that can still be cut on a Cricut machine

FYI, I don't think it is a problem with the paints, as where it failed, it was the underlying paper that peeled, not the paint. I am using combination of Mission Model and Createx paints, applied by airbrush, which have worked well for me on other projects. The only thing new was the Oramask.

20240505_144154.jpg

Last edited:
I can't find Oramask 812.

There are 810S, 810, 811, and 813.
https://www.orafol.com/en/americas/search?tx_kesearch_pi1[sword]=oramask+812

Per the data sheets, 810S has an adhesion of 0.23 lb/in, and 810 has an adhesion of 0.5 lb/in, while 811 and 813 have an adhesion of 1.37 lb/in.

Do you have the packaging for the 812? The gap in the numbering series suggests there may be a discontinued product or something.

I mistyped, thanks for catching that. It is Oramask 813. Sounds like I should have used 810, or maybe 810s. Is that what you have used?

Last edited:
I haven't used anything yet. I have some 813 on the way (shipped already) from Amazon. Might return it and try some 810. Or keep it for composite surfaces or something.

Just for posterity, links and highlights from the product pages below. I'm thinking for compound curves, fin fillets, nose cones, etc., and with the low-adhesion characteristic, the 810S may be the way to go for cardboard rockets. On the other hand, how it lays down and conforms will also be influenced (perhaps dominated) by the transfer tape. Just have to get some and try stuff. F around and find out...

ORAMASK® 810
https://www.orafol.com/en/americas/products/oramask-810-stencil-film
  • Developed for use in conformable paint stencil applications, especially for paint and spray techniques on complex curves, uneven or semi-flexible substrates and surfaces requiring transparency of the paint mask for substrate visibility. Great for various automotive, aerospace, industrial equipment paint mask applications. Not suitable for wet applications. Remove stencil film prior to baking.
ORAMASK® 810S
https://www.orafol.com/en/americas/products/oramask-810s-stencil-film
  • Developed for use in conformable paint stencil applications, especially for paint and spray techniques on complex curves, uneven or semi-flexible substrates and surfaces requiring transparency of the paint mask for substrate visibility. Great for back spraying illuminated sign faces, various automotive, aerospace, industrial equipment paint mask applications. Material is suitable for wet applications. Remove stencil film prior to baking.
ORAMASK® 811
https://www.orafol.com/en/americas/products/oramask-811-stencil-film
  • Developed for use in paint and stain stencil applications, especially for paint and spray techniques on smooth, flat, rigid substrates and surfaces. This is an opaque white paint mask. Great for gymnasium floor paint and stain mask, as well as hobby and craft applications, such as painted drywall, cabinets, custom bag-toss game boards, and wooden home décor signage. Not suitable for wet applications. Remove stencil film prior to baking.
ORAMASK® 813 Craft - Paint Stencil Film
https://www.orafol.com/en/americas/products/oramask-813-paint-stencil-film
  • ORAMASK® 813 is developed for use in paint and stain stencil applications, especially for paint and spray techniques on smooth, flat, rigid substrates and surfaces. Not suitable for wet applications.
ORAMASK® 813
https://www.orafol.com/en/americas/products/oramask-813-stencil-film
  • Developed for use in paint and stain stencil applications, especially for paint and spray techniques on smooth, flat, rigid substrates and surfaces. Applications requiring transparency of the paint mask for substrate visibility. Great for gymnasium floor paint and stain mask, as well as hobby and craft applications, such as painted drywall, cabinets, custom bag-toss game boards, and wooden home décor signage. Not suitable for wet applications. Remove stencil film prior to baking.

Last edited:
Looked around. Best price I could find for reasonable/limited quantities of Oramask 810 was here: https://craftcuttersupply.com/

They also sucked me in with small quantities for cheap on a bunch of colors, way better than buying the 5 or 10-ft rolls on Amazon for $7-8 and having mass quantities of excess that will never be used sitting around.

I've now tried the Oramask 813 and the Oramask 810S (the extremes of their adhesion range, 1.37 lb/in for 813 and 0.23 lb/in for the 810S.
Both cut nicely on the Cricut using it's standard vinyl settings.

When used for airbrushing the small 18mm tubes for an Estes Explorer Aquarius, the 813 peeled the paper off during removal. The 810S did not. However, the 810S tended to come off the surface when a sharp corner of it was perpendicular to the curve of the tube. A little bit more adhesion would have been nice, which makes me think that when applied to smallish diameter cardboard tubes (in the Estes range of BTs), I might have been happier with the 810 (0.5 lb/in) instead of the 810S (0.23 lb/in).

Here's how some of the tubes turned out using the 810S. Full disclosure, I was rushing the work and did not attempt to seal the stencil with clear coat or base color, just hit it with the new color in the airbrush and built it up. Hence the blurry edges on Teractor in particular. I was more patient with the bottom one which uses Cricut's "star wars" font.

8 down, 16 to go :)

20240505_144154.jpg

Back