Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why to they keep you awake during a Heart Cath running a tube up your artery from your groin into your heart looking for blockages and putting a stint in place if they find one...

But put you asleep to look up your butt and remove pollyps if they find them?
They feel like a colonoscopy requires less rectitude?

When I was being put to sleep for back surgery I was talking to the Anesthetist and then she handed me a Orange smoothie saying drink this so that the soreness from the Intubation tube goes away.

I said it is all over already? "Yep all done"

Last edited:
Why to they keep you awake during a Heart Cath running a tube up your artery from your groin into your heart looking for blockages and putting a stint in place if they find one...

Maybe they get a kick out of watching your eyes roll back in your head when you code? 🤷‍♂️. I do know from working with them for many years, some of them are pretty twisted!

I've had the rectal camera without anesthetic for a partial colonoscopy(1/3 of the way) Trust me. You want the anesthetic......It's very unpleasant.
Although, you can drive straight afterwards.......

I had my first colonoscopy with just a tranquilizer, and maybe there was a muscle relaxant. I was surprised to get a general for the second one. I'm due for round three next year, and I'll stay awake of they give me the choice.

I had my first colonoscopy with just a tranquilizer, and maybe there was a muscle relaxant. I was surprised to get a general for the second one. I'm due for round three next year, and I'll stay awake of they give me the choice.
Had my 1st one with no aids. Uncomfortable, but not over the top. It was OK, kind of. I'd do it again that way as opposed to being rum-dum for the next several hours. Not a big deal.

Cute story: Nurse asked the usual qualifying / cover your ass questions. "And why are you here for?" I answered "tonsillectomy". She said, "OK, but we will need a longer scope". Damn near peed my pants, err... gown.

Hans.

Cute story: Nurse asked the usual qualifying / cover your ass questions. "And why are you here for?" I answered "tonsillectomy". She said, "OK, but we will need a longer scope". Damn near peed my pants, err... gown
Some people even get the pleasure of having both ends scoped at the same visit. I guess if they're going to take a look at your GI system, they might as well see it all.

It's like a big IV. I know that's an understatement.

I'm always amazed at how fast they can be. If all goes well, we bring someone to the cath lab and they have the blockage removed and stented in about as long as it takes us to clean up and restock.

Some people even get the pleasure of having both ends scoped at the same visit. I guess if they're going to take a look at your GI system, they might as well see it all.
I had that done. I asked the doctor if he wiped the camera before he swapped ends. For a brief instant he thought it was a serious question 🤣 .

I am needing to book in for another colonoscopy very soon. At least I come out of the anesthetic very cleanly. No nausea or anything really, just a slice of time gone.

That was a routine occurance with my friends and me in high school and college. I usually wore hoodies, cargo shorts and Chuck Taylor's or Vans. (Still do at 42). We were often followed arouns at the mall and in record stores and sometimes stopped to be accused of stealing.
On the trip to Boise to take our ASVAB, two of my buddies and myself stopped in at KMart. ( yeah, LONG time ago)
In our wandering around the store we realized that we were being tailed by security, or some such person.
We had made our way over to the magazines and were browsing through them when this individual positioned himself on the opposite side of the rack where we were. We could see he was plainly watching us.
One of the buds leaned over into us and said “Watch this!” He walked to the other side of the rack, stood right next to the guy, picked up a magazine then leaned into the man and asked….”Hey! Big boy, you wanna come home with us, we’re having a party!
The guy turned three shades of red and stormed off. Pretty risky for three teens in Idaho in 78!

Last edited:
Good question(@cwbullet).
No one has ever asked me that before. I am pretty sure there is a reason that you given a sedative and not put to sleep. I do know that people with heart disease are at higher risk of death if given general anesthesia. I will ask a cardiologist this week and see why.

It's like a big IV. I know that's an understatement.

I'm always amazed at how fast they can be. If all goes well, we bring someone to the cath lab and they have the blockage removed and stented in about as long as it takes us to clean up and restock.

Yea, I have had it done, but no blockage and no Stents. I had to lie flat still for 2 hour afterwards and then I could get elevated back in the bed. They put that thing inside at the entry point to swell up the hole and then dissolve after 30 days.

I recall lying flat for the operation about 30-40mins while an Xray machine seemed to move about. I could not see the operators. That machine was in the way and sometimes very close to my head/face till it was over and the doc was gone.

Ok, back to LOLs.

Why are farts smelly?

So deaf people can enjoy them, too.
We worked with a deaf lady on night shift years ago. She and my co-worker were smokers and one night they were both out in the smoking hut when Steve felt a burst come on. Since he and Brenda were the only ones in the smoking hut, he figured she wouldn't hear it and let it rip. A few seconds later she turned to him and yelled "Just because I'm deaf doesn't mean I can't smell!" Having worked with him for 20 years, many of them in adjoining cubicles, I can attest firsthand to the horror.

Literally at the same time, or one after the other? I can just imagine the two scopes looking at each other.
"Morning Frank."
"Morning George."

Last edited:
There's local and regional anesthesia, and then sedation and (for major surgery) general anesthesia.

I'm the opposite - I don't care to be awake. Both for me, but for the doc (I'm talkative and don't want to distract the surgeon). For the "up periscope" operation I would prefer sedation. Propofol yields the best nap, ever, and clears very quickly - its effects clear in minutes*.

*For the pharmacologists among us, the initial half life is 40 minutes, the terminal half life is 6-7 hours, but the effects clear quickly because most of the stuff distributes to peripheral tissues where it doesn't do anything much.

I have friends who have a nice heavy-duty doormat at their front door that says "Leave". Not Welcome, Leave. I tried to buy it from them, was greeted with a hard No. They had purchased so many years prior (well before the pandemic) they couldn't remember where or how much they paid. Man, what I would give . . . .

I had that done. I asked the doctor if he wiped the camera before he swapped ends. For a brief instant he thought it was a serious question 🤣 .

I am needing to book in for another colonoscopy very soon. At least I come out of the anesthetic very cleanly. No nausea or anything really, just a slice of time gone.
I had the same procedure. I looked the doc in the eye, pointed my finger at him, and said, "Throat first!"...then it was lights out.

There's local and regional anesthesia, and then sedation and (for major surgery) general anesthesia.

I'm the opposite - I don't care to be awake. Both for me, but for the doc (I'm talkative and don't want to distract the surgeon). For the "up periscope" operation I would prefer sedation. Propofol yields the best nap, ever, and clears very quickly - its effects clear in minutes*.

*For the pharmacologists among us, the initial half life is 40 minutes, the terminal half life is 6-7 hours, but the effects clear quickly because most of the stuff distributes to peripheral tissues where it doesn't do anything much.
What's the difference between initial half-life and terminal half-life? What is terminal half-life? Since "half-life", in every context of which I'm aware, is the time for a thing being measured to decrease by half, so it is inherently not terminal.

Back