Paint ridges from taping

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henry8minus1

Reaction score
Recently on one of my rockets I painted alternating color rings on it. I did this by painting one color taping off the rings and then painting the other color. It came our looking really good. However there are noticeable (by touch) ridges between the two colors where I had taped it. Is there anyway to get a smoother finish?

I have thought about taping both colors so there is not more paint for one color than the other, but this seems more prone to errors.

Let me know what you all do.

Jeff

Originally posted by Henry8minus1
... there are noticeable (by touch) ridges between the two colors where I had taped it. Is there anyway to get a smoother finish?

Paint ridges are a fact of life, but there are things you can do to minimize them, depending on how much extra work you want to do.

The simplest is to minimize the ridge. First, use a true "fine line" type of masking tape - available at most auto body supply stores. This is made of a plastic and has a cleaner edge and results in less of a paint dam than will crepe-paper masking tapes (including the "blue tape" you find at your local hardware store.) Second, make the topmost paint layers as thin as possible, only as thick as necessary to get the coverage you need. Often this is just one light coat and no more. The less paint you lay down, the less it dams up and forms a smaller ridge. Just following these two steps will give you a decent, if not show quality, product. Most modellers will stop here.

With further effort, you can start doing things like putting on clear coats after the colors have been layed down. Just a basic clear coat will, to some degree, flow over the edges amd make them less noticeable. Finally, going all out, combining multiple clear coats, wet sanding and polishing can give a perfectly flat, highly polished finish. Just like the artwork on a show car or motorcycle. It's a lot of work, but can look stunning.

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
A light wet sanding will help to reduce any noticeable paint ridge.

600 grit 3M Wetodry paper works a treat.
Wipe on water from a wet paper towel, dunk the paper in water and sake out, sand, wipe off with a clean paper towel.

If you're going to clear coat, look into wipe on Polycrylic. You can put on many layers without fogging, and fill the surface. Sand some first to make it easier though.

most people clear coat, wetsand, clear coat, wetsand until the ridge comes out.

Taping off both colors isnt actually a bad idea, as there is another benefit. When you tape the first color, you make a ridge, so when you tape off for the second color, the ridge is helping you, as the paint falls down and it less likely to seep under your masking tape and ruin your paintjob. After your first coat the tape is sealed and this is no longer a problem, and you can repaint until the ridge is filled.

I know some people who will tape off for a color, and then paint the first color agian, just to avoid seepage.

Originally posted by Ryan S.

I know some people who will tape off for a color, and then paint the first color agian, just to avoid seepage.

I've done that, and it certainly helps avoid seepage.

However, it can be counterproductive if you are going to sand the ridge, because at least a part of the ridge is the "wrong" colour, and if you sand into it too far...

While Paint dams are a fact of life masking multi-colors they are NOT permanent nor do you have to put up with them. Fine line tapes are good, so are rubylith low tack tapes and good old Scotch magic tape with some slight precausions. Detack the magic tape slightly by sticking it to your fingers or hands the oils will lower the tack of the tape, apply but only burnish the ever edges, then apply a light coat of Matte clear. I use testors dull coat but any matte clear will do fine. NOT Gloss clear! Matte clears flash off the solvents much faster then Gloss clear which WILL attack your fresh paint job. Apply our next color coat, allow it to tack up and remove the tape. Magic tape will leave the thinnest of paint dam lines of any tape you will find.
Why use mate clear instead of the previous color to seal your masking? Clears contains no pigment which increases the thickness of the coat. Sealing with matte clear won't add to your paint dam problem as color coats will. Affter each coat has dried wet sand with fine (grey) scotchbight pads or 600grit wet/dry sandpaper. This process will completely remove the paint dam lines.
All of the paint seperation lines on this vanguard were done in this manor, 5 color coats and an overall matte clear finial coat, to the eye and touch the surface of the model is a smooth as a babies butt;)
Hope this helps.

Thanks for all of your help. Painting is something I am still learning how to do well. I will incorporate your ideas and suggestions in the future.

Jeff

While Paint dams are a fact of life masking multi-colors they are NOT permanent nor do you have to put up with them. Fine line tapes are good, so are rubylith low tack tapes and good old Scotch magic tape with some slight precausions. Detack the magic tape slightly by sticking it to your fingers or hands the oils will lower the tack of the tape, apply but only burnish the ever edges, then apply a light coat of Matte clear. I use testors dull coat but any matte clear will do fine. NOT Gloss clear! Matte clears flash off the solvents much faster then Gloss clear which WILL attack your fresh paint job. Apply our next color coat, allow it to tack up and remove the tape. Magic tape will leave the thinnest of paint dam lines of any tape you will find.
Why use mate clear instead of the previous color to seal your masking? Clears contains no pigment which increases the thickness of the coat. Sealing with matte clear won't add to your paint dam problem as color coats will. Affter each coat has dried wet sand with fine (grey) scotchbight pads or 600grit wet/dry sandpaper. This process will completely remove the paint dam lines.
Micromeister, im sorry but I don't comprehend. I think I get the idea however. Do you have any pics of this process ? I have two colored fins im looking to minimize paint dams where the colors meet.

Micromeister, im sorry but I don't comprehend. I think I get the idea however. Do you have any pics of this process ? I have two colored fins im looking to minimize paint dams where the colors meet.
This thread is 19 years old and unfortunately, Micromeister has since passed.

@Angel_of_the_Skies You can find the collected wit and wisdom of John McCoy (The Micromeister) on the NARHAMS club website. He was a rather prolific writer and passionate modeler. 004 Paint Finishing and 019 Masking Tapes and Techniques are worthwhile reads. Be aware that some products mentioned may no longer be available. I've tried masking some basic straight lines with scotch tape and matte clear to seal the edge. Works well, the theory being scotch tape has less "height" than regular masking tape and matte clear leaves the thinnest coat therefore smallest paint dam when removed. Hope this helps.

https://narhams.org/library_tech.html

Back