Open Rocket vs Experience in HPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G's Monster Rocket

Best Bad Idea So Far
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My question is directed to the folks with years of experience in HPR. I have built a 4" diameter 90" long rocket going up on 54mm motor. All scratch designed using Open Rocket. The initial motor of choice is an A/T L1090. If I choose to use a different motor, K250W-P, the altitude at apogee is nearly the same with a burn time of 9.3 seconds, but the V off the pad is 1/2 that of the L1090. Based on the rocket @ 22 lbs, is 40.8 ft/s too slow to be stable off an 8 ft 1010 rail, given wind max at 10 mph?
1713156301425.png1713156206887.png

The thrust-to-weight ratio for the K250 is only 2.1:1. I can't imagine any club allowing that rocket to fly on a 2:1 T:W ratio. I can't speak for every club, but all the clubs I fly at require a minimum of a 3:1 ratio, and even that usually requires an elevated approval in most places, with 5:1 being the "at the RSO table" minimum.

I would recommend running your rocket specs through Thrustcurve first, then using a simulator. Thrustcurve will at least help you rule out any motors that are absolute no-go's.

Back