Open-Rocket Multi Working Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateozro

Reaction score
Hello,

My friend and I are new to using open rocket for a new rocketry club at our university. We're wondering if the software allows us to collaborate on a single project from different devices, or is that not an option?

Hello,

My friend and I are new to using open rocket for a new rocketry club at our university. We're wondering if the software allows us to collaborate on a single project from different devices, or is that not an option?

You could save your file to the cloud somewhere, but you're going to have to manage not overwriting each other's work yourselves.

Hello,

Sure. Save your file as "Rocket A", you are member "A" and email the files to the group. Each member has a different suffix: B, C, D, E etc. Each member can update their file based on how the group decides they want to go.

You can pull up multiple files all at once, and then copy the good stuff from one or multiple designs, into your group design "Rocket Master".

Easy, peazy, rocket teezy.

Sure. Save your file as "Rocket A", you are member "A" and email the files to the group. Each member has a different suffix: B, C, D, E etc. Each member can update their file based on how the group decides they want to go.

You can pull up multiple files all at once, and then copy the good stuff from one or multiple designs, into your group design "Rocket Master".

That seems overly complex especially since OR doesn't really give you a good indications of what changed. So you'd need to keep a change log, and well you might as just send the change log around or post it in a common (google drive, dropbox, etc, etc) location.

Use Zoom, Google Meets, etc. and just do it online with one person controlling OpenRocket, or some of them allow shared control

That seems overly complex especially since OR doesn't really give you a good indications of what changed. So you'd need to keep a change log, and well you might as just send the change log around or post it in a common (google drive, dropbox, etc, etc) location.

Use Zoom, Google Meets, etc. and just do it online with one person controlling OpenRocket, or some of them allow shared control
I guess if your not updating the revision history in Open Rocket, and you can schedule a Zoom meeting with all the college aged team members, that might work better.​
:dontknow:
Revision History.jpg

That is the brute force way of doing it.

The OP is looking for this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_collaboration

The app doesn't support such functionality. You'll have to do it by process and procedure, using one of the above proposals or something else. I don't know if there is a "standard" manual process for this but it seems like there might be.

If the XML file inside the ORK archive where more easily accessible, you could almost kinda sorta use a standard version control tool (e.g. git) but since it's inside the ZIP I don't think you'll get the normal kind of change logs that you'd want. That's kind of a bummer.

Sorry no great suggestions here.

The app doesn't support such functionality. You'll have to do it by process and procedure, using one of the above proposals or something else. I don't know if there is a "standard" manual process for this but it seems like there might be.

If the XML file inside the ORK archive where more easily accessible, you could almost kinda sorta use a standard version control tool (e.g. git) but since it's inside the ZIP I don't think you'll get the normal kind of change logs that you'd want. That's kind of a bummer.

Sorry no great suggestions here.
That's not bad neil. Yes, there is step to unzip to post to GitHub but at least you can diff the changes. And version control with branches

Simple command line tool/shell script could be built by the group to unzip and push. And the inverse to.

Back