ONLY Post comments or text for "Post a Picture (no comments or text)"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one we had when I was a kid was not. His favorite pass time was sitting on top of the ironing board challenging anyone to come near him.
All you had to do was make a sound setting up the device and he was there ready for battle.
Put on a pair of thick leather gloves and it was no holds barred. He would not hold back. It was battle time!

OK, post 13,744. What's she got hidin up that skirt or at the top of those stockings that makes those tires glow like that????

But also, seriously, how did they make t he tires glow like that?

I was thinking the same thing. And what is the string?? going from her nylons to the tire.

Post 13,747. It's a picture of an SR71 at RAF Lakenheath I took. When RAF Mildenhall was redoing their runway the SR71 came to Lakenheath. I saw it often. Should have dusted the picture before I took the picture.

Post# 13,814.
Deere’s second largest tractor in 1959, and the second largest 4WD currently offered. One owned by me and one owned by my brother. Wanna guess who owns the old one? 😉

I use one frequently. I bought a couple of digital calipers but for some reason I have trouble keeping good batteries in them so mostly I've gone back to using my old vernier caliper.

I too had one that constantly killed batteries. Got a Snap On one and that has subsided now.

I use one frequently. I bought a couple of digital calipers but for some reason I have trouble keeping good batteries in them so mostly I've gone back to using my old vernier caliper.
I too had one that constantly killed batteries. Got a Snap On one and that has subsided now.

If your digital vernier calipers are constantly suffering flat batteries switch from using the LR44 batteries to the SR44 type. Makes an enormous difference. The LR44 are alkaline, and have a bit of a sagging discharge curve. I think the starting voltage is also lower than the SR44. The SR44 is silver oxide chemistry. Much flatter discharge curve, higher starting point and better storage density I think (from memory).

So yes, LR44 and SR44 batteries are not directly equivalent. You will, of course, pay more for the SR44 convenience. I have actually given up buying LR44 batteries and keep SR44 in stock on my shelf for whenever they are needed. That way I can order them in advance and a good discount price.

If your digital vernier calipers are constantly suffering flat batteries switch from using the LR44 batteries to the SR44 type. Makes an enormous difference. The LR44 are alkaline, and have a bit of a sagging discharge curve. I think the starting voltage is also lower than the SR44. The SR44 is silver oxide chemistry. Much flatter discharge curve, higher starting point and better storage density I think (from memory).

So yes, LR44 and SR44 batteries are not directly equivalent. You will, of course, pay more for the SR44 convenience. I have actually given up buying LR44 batteries and keep SR44 in stock on my shelf for whenever they are needed. That way I can order them in advance and a good discount price.
I can try that. I usually search ebay for cheap batteries in bulk so the battery cost is not too high, it's a convenience thing. I don't use the caliper real often so I've thought of just taking the battery out each time.

Nice vernier scale (not my post though). How many know how to read it properly :) .
From my work I got calipers and micrometers because they were vernier and the engineers couldn’t read them.

The scale in picture looks like degrees and seconds.

73 degrees 30 seconds

What's so hard about that?

[edit] ^ that should be minutes, not seconds

Last edited:
Notice it is degrees and minutes. It is a transit.

<<Whispers>> 78....
Looks to me like the 78 degree mark is centered between the 0 and the first mark on the vernier... 10 minutes
The 73 degree mark lines up with the 30 mark on the vernier - thus 73 degrees, 30 minutes (not seconds as I had originally posted)

Back