New Motors Certified, April 2024 (Loki Research)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Whitmore

Reaction score
The Tripoli Motor Testing committee met on March 30, 2024 and certified 6 new motors. We will break up the notifications by manufacturers, and start with Loki Research.

The first certification is the Loki N-5500LW, a 4” reload kit made specifically for the CTI Pro-98 6g XL hardware. The total impulse is 19,137 N.s with an average thrust of 5344 N. The burn time is 3.58 seconds. TMT strongly recommends that you follow the directions (6 pages, single-spaced) to the letter, and never, under any circumstances, attempt to build the motor by yourself. Find a large, strong person to help you.

The second certification is the Loki J-670LB, a 54mm reload kit for the 54/1200 hardware. It is plugged, with no delay element. The total impulse is 1270 N.s with an average thrust of 670 N. The burn time is 1.891 seconds. The propellant is Loki Blue.

The third certification is the Loki I-426LB, a 38mm reload with the Loki Blue propellant made for the 38/480 hardware, and is also plugged. The total impulse is 505 N.s with an average thrust of 426 N. The burn time is 1.185 seconds.

Notification for the 3 new Aerotech motors will follow soon..... Alan Whitmore

Attachments

• N5500LW both.JPG
    N5500LW both.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Loki J670LB all 3.JPG
    Loki J670LB all 3.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Loki I426LB all3.JPG
    Loki I426LB all3.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 0
I am not a Loki guy, just a wannabe ...

And maybe I should wait for @Loki Research to reply but Scott Kormeier told me in an email on Apr 15 that he was waiting for recertification of a new Loki Blue reload for the 38-480 case that could be shipped no-hazmat :)

Scott did say that the new reload would require a #22 nozzle instead of the standard 38-480 #19 nozzle ...

Scott also said in his email: "We have a lot of those ready to go."

Woo Hoo !

Time for me to get some !!

HTH ...

-- kjh

EDIT: Those are BEAUTIFUL thrust curves, @Alan Whitmore and @Loki Research !

Last edited:
And maybe I should wait for @Loki Research to reply but Scott Kormeier told me in an email on Apr 15 that he was waiting for recertification of a new Loki Blue reload for the 38-480 case that could be shipped no-hazmat :)
I hope you're right. I had ordered a blue motor in that case, Scott contacted me by email and reminded me that it did not ship non-hazmat, so I switched to a I-405 white that does. Excellent customer service and awesome motors.

Scott has outdone himself this time! Excellent motors, especially the cross-compatible N5500 for the CTI98-6XL case. The new nozzle is a work of art, with optimal expansion for a second stage.

And, many thanks to Alan at TMT for the hard work with the motor cert tests.

Thank you everyone.
Yes, the I-426 is USPS mailable unlike the I-430 and does use the #22 throat nozzle and plugged bulkhead. It will have a roughly 0.001% chance of failure if assembled properly. The main failure point of our 38's (when they rarely do fail) is through the delay column. This eliminates that failure point completely. They will also retail at $73. That's $6 less than the other comparable 38/480 Loki reloads. Using widely available and easy to use barometric/electronic deployment will ensure spot on deployment timing, every time.

I should get the instructions uploaded and the new listings for these reloads on the website by the end of the week.

When the DOT gets us the SP-7887 paperwork, we will be able to ship the I-430 without hazmat, but it'll still need the expensive, large hazmat box to ship them in. We'll have been waiting 6 months for that approval now, come the end of this week....

Scott has outdone himself this time! Excellent motors, especially the cross-compatible N5500 for the CTI98-6XL case. The new nozzle is a work of art, with optimal expansion for a second stage.

And, many thanks to Alan at TMT for the hard work with the motor cert tests.
Let’s start the contest now, first non-shredded flight of an N5800 to a N5500…

Back