Motor cases with flush aft closures

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khabuda

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an off the shelf motor case that comes with a flush aft closure? I am designing the sustainer for a two stage project, and I want to have the motor hanging out the back as part of the interstage. Doing it this way will allow me to use a motor tube and off-the-shelf tailcone in the nose of the booster, which feels pretty ideal, but the aft closure of the motor cannot be any wider than the motor case itself. I want to keep this as legit as possible to fly at my local field, so manufacturer approved closures are required.

Does anyone know if there is an off the shelf motor case that comes with a flush aft closure? I am designing the sustainer for a two stage project, and I want to have the motor hanging out the back as part of the interstage. Doing it this way will allow me to use a motor tube and off-the-shelf tailcone in the nose of the booster, which feels pretty ideal, but the aft closure of the motor cannot be any wider than the motor case itself. I want to keep this as legit as possible to fly at my local field, so manufacturer approved closures are required.

As far as I know, the only certified reloadable motors like that would be Loki Research casings, if you remove the thrust ring snap ring.

DMS or single use motors can sometimes come without a thrust ring, depending on the size.

Last edited:
The DMS from Aerotech has options without a thrust ring.

I have a flush boat tail closure for CTI 29mm hardware and with 1-6xl case options you might even find a motor in stock somewhere for your project. And most of the CTI loads us a standard Ematch as the initiator, so electronic staging is easier also.
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocke...mm_Closures/Cesaroni_29mm_Tapered_Aft_Closure

What is the basic run down of your project; air frame size, electronics, flight profile?

The DMS from Aerotech has options without a thrust ring.

I have a flush boat tail closure for CTI 29mm hardware and with 1-6xl case options you might even find a motor in stock somewhere for your project. And most of the CTI loads us a standard Ematch as the initiator, so electronic staging is easier also.
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocke...mm_Closures/Cesaroni_29mm_Tapered_Aft_Closure

What is the basic run down of your project; air frame size, electronics, flight profile?

Forgot about that CTI part, since my local guy has barely seen a 29mm reload from them in more than a year. I am not willing to pay HAZ to ship motors when there are pretty good non-HAZ alternatives. I assumed that the OP is looking to stay non-HPR due to his stated goal of flying at his local field without complication, e.g., not having a waiver in place. Hence why I specifically linked the Loki closure I did. It is long enough to use as a coupler, but usually, if someone is looking to do a "motor as coupler" MD two-stage, they are looking at longer, skinnier cases. And also at HPR.

If the OP is OK with a waiver and Tripoli insurance, just build something big and dumb and low and slow, fly a J in it, and be L2 certified.

Back