MicroMaxx Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little more in depth on the Heller 130th scale X-15 PMC.
This model was almost designed to be converted to micromaxx flight. requiring only a small portion of the forward wing be removed and a little work with a razor saw just behind the cockpit to seperate a Nose sections for recovery.

I chose to add the air probe rather then use the rounded nose. the kit panel lines need a bit of added work but for such a small model the detail is good and outline is very close to "ON Scale". Good enough to take 4th place at NARAM-46 anyway:) I fly this PMC more for FUN as it's a very good flying model. If your looking for a first attempt at a MICRO PMC I strongly suggest this kit.

X15-a_Heller #80202 (MMX) 130th_2001.jpg

Attachments

• MM 252a1-sm_ X-15 130th PMC_12-21-01.jpg
    MM 252a1-sm_ X-15 130th PMC_12-21-01.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 27
White Sands Test round V2-#2 was my next real Scale model in micro size.
the Bt-5 based model at 1:119.4852 Scale turned out to be a very nice flying model as well.
Generally as we get beyond 10.5mm (T4 or .448") diameter the models tend to become slugish and low flying. Not so with the V2. by hollowing out most of the Basswood Nosecone and Tailcones we can get the mass dow pretty well use of Basswood for the fins also helps hold down unnessary weight while allowing good scribe line and detailing opportunity. Painting is as usually with this type of roll pattern a bit more demanding but with good use of Parafilm-M and 3m Fineline tape very will brunished down then sealed with a coat of Clear matte spary, good crisp division lines can be had. Silver tip and main fuselage seams can be added without to much trouble.
with so little room in the body I went with a dual 3/4" x 12" streamers to bring the model back. Ewt: of 5.4g gives a LOWt of 6.5g for very nice 75-90foot flights. Being so quick off the pad has made most attempts to catch flight pics just a blur or smoke trail so I'm sorry to say I don't have a decent liftoff shot.

For the 2003 Centennial of Flight celebration our club (Narhams) partnered with the AIAA to build, display and fly a 14 model exhibit highlighting the manned spaceflight vehicles from Goddards first Liquid fueled rocket to the Space Shuttle. We decided to do the display in 1-72 Scale. to take advantage of several Scale kits avaible at the time. the remaining 12 were scratch built models or Plastic model coversions. So it was that the Bell X-1 turned out to be a PMC powered by Micro Maxx-II motor. after extensive plastic removal inside the model the final mass was still an extreme 18.65g but that was enougth to get a flight and 6" chute recovery without breaking anything... we won't discuss the altitude. which was somewere between 8 and 9 feet LOL!!! does make an interesting conversion, IF I were to do it again i'd open the rear a good bit more using a cluster of at least 2 MMX-II motors.

MM 254a2-sm_Bell  X-1 72th PMC_12-29-01.jpg

AIAA centennial of flight Exhibit @ Tarc-1-a_05-10-03.jpg

AIAA CentennialofFlight Exhibit _Bell X-1_@ Tarc-1-c_05-10-03.jpg

CoF-c02a_Exhibit Left side angle_07-26-03.jpg

another of the winter theme odd-Rocs is the Icicle.
I ran across these plastic christmas light replacement parts at a dollar store and though one might make an interesting micro-powered Odd-Roc.
Adding .020" clear lexan fins and a mirrored mylar covered motor tube the model does give a good representation of a flying icicle.
Recoverys with either a 3/4" x 12" white teflon streamer or a 6" silver mylar chute it gets decent air on mmx-II motors. and has flown just about every december.

MM 256a1-sm_Icicle Oddroc_01-01-00.jpg

MM 256Lp08b_Crystal Icicle countdown_12-18-10.JPG

MM 256Lp08c_Icicle mid flight_12-18-10.JPG

I am seriously impressed with the skills in this thread! I'm gonna have to get a few MMX kits to try my hand at something like that. Funny that building a 12 foot tall rocket is less daunting to me than building a 4 inch rocket. :eek:

I am seriously impressed with the skills in this thread! I'm gonna have to get a few MMX kits to try my hand at something like that. Funny that building a 12 foot tall rocket is less daunting to me than building a 4 inch rocket. :eek:

Come on in the building is fun and fine! One of my favorite expressions is 70feet, 700feet or 7000feet... makes little differerence...outa sight is Outa Sight! LOL!!!

Lets see where did we leave off. Ok I remember Model 256.

Well 257 is not an original design but one of the very few early KITS that were available early on. Doug Pratt of Pratt Hobbies offered this 10.5mm (T4) version of the D-Region Tomahawk for awhile back in 2001-03.
One of the kit's interesting components was Doug worked out a body wrap on some sort of lable material that made the model almost "no finish". if you used red and black magic marker on the fins there was no Painting involved at all.
Another of the parts that made this .448" diameter model fly so darn well was the vacuum formed .020" white styrene 2 piece nose cones that he still offers to this day that weigh next to nothing.
I'm not sure if Pratt Hobbies still offers this kit on-line but I'd be willing to bet if you e-mail and ask about it he'd be more than happy to put a kit together for you.
It's a great flyer on mmx-II motors.

MM 257a1_D-RegionTomahawk_PrattHobbies_01-13-01.jpg

MM 257b1_Pratt-D-RegionTomahawkInFlight_01-13-01.jpg

MM 257b2-sm_D-RegionTomahawk-mid flight_07-07-01.jpg

I have to give it to Art Applewhite for this one! This has got to be one of the most interesting, Attention getting, Kid awing micro models ever designed.

I've made a couple small changes to the original motor kicking lawn darting design, but the fact is no matter which way it's built. if your walking around with one of these little Odd-Rocs clipped to your pocket someone is Going to ask you "Hey! whats that on your pocket".

NO Way! is always the reply when I say "it's a Bic Pen Rocket".

OH yes! The Lowly Bic Stick barrel seems as though it was manufactured to be converted into a model Rocket flying on MMX-I or MMX-II motors. They are such a good fit a piece of a spent engine casing can be used as a motor block/shockcord mount. by adding 30" of 50-70lb kevlar and an overhand knot in the forward end the Pen can be converted into an easily recoveryable nose blow or break-apart model. by adding a little 1/2" x 9" piece of talc baby powdered white plumbers teflon tape we now have a Streamer recovery model and because the teflon is flameproof it also acts as our wadding.
The only metal part of a bic Stick is the ink ball and holding socket. this is very easily removed with a slight twist and pull of a pair of pliers. removeing the ink tube don't throw it away until you snip off the last couple inches of inkless clear tubing that can then be used as Launch lugs.

A bit of sanding to the colored portion of the two piece nose creates and instant nosecone. By pushing a round toothpick into the smaller brown nose pices trapping the knot in the kevlar shockline the two piece NC is attached to body.

Art's Cardstock folded fin can can be printed on plain computer paper or cardstock then cut out and glued to the barrel. it's super fun for kids as small as 6 or 7 years with just a little help from an adult making and installing the motor mount/shockline.

And do these little babies fly! outa sight with a neck snapping zip. I try to keep a half dozen for so in my range model box to give out at launches. they are generally very well recieved:)

So much fun from so little! Thanks so Much ART! What A design!!!!

MM 258a1-sm_Bic-pen OddRoc_06-15-02.jpg

MM 258a2-sm_to g1_7 Micro Bic Pens group pic_03-14-06.jpg

MM 258lp08a-sm_Bic Pen #8 on Pad_11-08-03.jpg

MM 258Lp23a_Bic Pen Odd-Roc On pad_04-19-08.jpg

MM 258Lp23b_Bic Pen Recovery after 175ft flt_04-19-08.jpg

Another of the Art Applewhite early designs was a 3" Cardstock printed Flying Saucer.
Gets about twice the altitude of the original 3" Quest RTF "LPB" flying Saucer on the same motor. Still we're only talking about maybe 25feet LOL!!!
but a Fun build from a flat piece of cardstock.

MM 259a1_3in FlagFlyingSaucer-Oddroc_06-22-02.jpg

What to do with a 1" styrofoam ball?
add a piece of T2+ tubing and 4 .030" styrene antenna and you have a pretty decent flying model of the first artificial satellite.
This is a motor casing ejecting model feather weight recovery that gets some serious altitiude in a big hurry. I lost the first one I made that was unpainted it jumped off the pad and disappeared I heard the pop but never saw anything come down. We were on a very short mowed grass field but an extended search turned up nothing... The silver one is just a tad heavier and sparkles in the sunlight better then the unpainted version making it a little easier to spot on the way down.
Sorry no launch photos of this one, it's just to quick for my digital camera.

Over the years i've built several size Gyrocs. From the original to a 3X upscale.. but never had much luck with the things.
Seems no matter how lightly I built or got the fin tabs to work the helicopter recovery always landed with the Nose Stuck in the ground at least an 1" or so.
Not to bad in soft grass fields but hard packed summer fields did in most after just a couple flights.

Sometime mid 80's someone suggested perhaps adding a 3rd fin "might" help lower the recovery speed. A couple tries later mine still don't recovery all that softly but at least doesn't crimp the tube so badly.
thought I'd try a Micro version to see if that would be soft enough to bring the Gyroc down without sticking staight up in the grass or ground.
NOPE! even this TINY 4.2gram T2+ size model comes in pretty fast and sticks stright up in the grass or ground. Spins really well but I guess it's something I'm doing? A fun flyer anyway.

MM 261lp01_MM Gyroc 3fin on pad(128dpi)_07-15-06.jpg

MM 261Lp08a-sm_MM Gyroc on pad_10-20-07.JPG

Just a scratch built fun flying scale model is the Ammraam 120a. T3 tube body made scribing in the sections easy. and allowed a fincan tail section with tailcone was possible in basswood. At this size the model's 8.4gram mass give quick but watchable flights to 90 feet or so. Recovers on a 3/4" x 18" heavy orange teflon tape streamers.

another very Nice A.S.P. (aerospace specialty products) micro scale kits is the Jayhawk AQM-37a. with a little work this semi-scale kit can be worked into a fairly decent 42.7 scale model. Only 3.5" long it can be a struggle to follow during flight. Adding a 1/2" x 9" white teflon tape streamer I believe is the only reason I still have mine:) It's really quick off the pad!
Sorry for the fuzzy photos, it's sometimes hard to get the camera to focus on the subject LOL!!!!

MM 263lp02_MM Jayhawk on Pad_10-21-06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Theme Odd-Rocs is a nice past-time. Looking for things that'll work in micro size creates a bit more of a challange but keeping our eyes open sometimes we luck into some fun and funny offerings.
This model I call the Pumpin Stack started life as a halloween party straw. A little extra T2+ tubing, some 1/32" basswood Batwing fins and it's an Odd-Roc!
Flys Well and recovers with a 1/2" x 12" white teflon plumbers tape streamer/wadding.

MM 264Lp12_MM Pumpkin Stack on pad_10-23-10.JPG

Never sure in what category to stick Monocopters? Odd-Roc, Helicopter recovery or just plain very Nifty Demo offset thrust lift vehicle?

I set one up with our club logo & colors for use every chance I get at model rocket demonstrations just for the wow factor. Seems 6 to 60 everyone Loves to see something Womp,womp,womp into the air. then auto-gyro back gently to the ground.

There are all kinds of assemble methods and materials. These particular Art Applewhite creations are all light cardstock or almost all cardstock if you add a balance arm of .030" carbon fibre rod as I have for just a little extra altitiude flights.
Super KEWL Spin UP and Auto-Gyro down LOL!

MM 265a-sm_Mark-3 Mono Copters a&b_10-06-02.jpg

MM 265Lp05-sm_Micro Monocopter on pad_05-24-08.JPG

Christmas comes but once a year... It's a happy Joyous season with Icons that are just Way to KEWL to be passed up in creating micro Odd-Rocs.

Two Holiday/Christmas Theme Odd-Rocs I just had to add to my collection are a 5-1/4" Christmas Tree and a lit candle with holder. both use a combination of Cardstock and traditional materials with Clear .030" polycarbonate fin/feet and open bottom ring fin bases. our Christmas tree is made up of 7 layers of double light cardstock nesting cones around a T2+ Trunk while the Candle incorporates a 1" sytrofoam ball, T2+ body with a 22lb Polyfoam carved flame nosecone/shoulder. As with most of my micros recovery is on 1/2" x 12" yellow military grade colored teflon plumbers tape Streamer/wadding with 36" x 70lb Kevlar shocklines. Both fly pretty well on MMX-II motors.

MM 266c_& MM 267 ChristmasTheme-OddRocs_12-13-02.jpg

MM 266Lp12b_MM Christmas Tree countdown_12-18-10.JPG

MM 267a-sm_CandleStick & Holder OddRoc_11-24-02.jpg

MM 267Lp08a_Christmas Candle on pad_12-18-10.JPG

One of my favorite expressions is 70feet, 700feet or 7000feet... makes little differerence...outa sight is Outa Sight! LOL!!!

On a related note, one of my favorite expressions is "my $6 micro rocket and your $600 HPR bird look identical... ...when out of sight..." :D

T4 Alien Space Probe was the next kit downscale using 1/16" skewer sticks for the landing gear.
Decided to use School bus yellow just to make it a bit different. Very Zippy off the pad even at T4, I haven't been able to catch it with my digital camera yet but we'll keep trying it's a fun flyer for sure. 1/2" x 18" yellow teflon tape Streamer/wadding keeps it coming back for more:)

MM 268a-sm_Alien Space Probe_12-05-02.jpg

MM 268b2-sm_Alien Space Probe_2nd flight Stable!_07-05-03.jpg

When converting a Revell 1:144th Saturn-V for fun flights on a cluster of D12's I notices the included little model of the LEM might be a tab easier to convert the the smaller 1:200 LEMs converted earlier.
Sure enough with little trouble at all this one takes a T2+ and a bit larger clear .030" polycarbonate drag disc. gives a bit more room for the recovery streamer and I was able to use the plastic Top hatch that came with the kit.
at 7.5g it doesn't get quite as high as the smaller LEM's but can be lost if not followed closely.

MM 269a-sm_LEM_144th  PMC_04-16-03.jpg

Mr Gassaway made the original Tri-Fo a fun flying model. Downscaling it to T2+ motor mount size changed the fun very little! As a matter of fact I've gone a step further then the model shown in the photo that is 1/32" basswood. Printing the pattens on 110lb cardstock it's possible to build this model entirely out of cardstock to get another 5 or so feet out of the 30-35foot flights. either way it's a Tri-ny F-O saucer of fun....

View attachment MM 270c_Tri-ny FO saucer_04-30-03.pdf

Our club held a Skywriting theme Fun launch in 2003. Lots of people bought and built Estes skywriting pencil. I wanted to do the same but rather the Downscale the Estes model I decided I'd do a FULL Size #2 pencil Scale Odd-Roc.... OK JAL3 where does this one belong... LOL!!!!!
It's a standard T2+ body tube with a solid balsa nosecone and metallic mylar simulated eraser retaining band. Eraser area paint was mixed to simulate the color of one I had at my desk in the rocket building dungon. Fins are clear .030" polycarbonate CA abd epoxy attached. recovers with a 1/2" x 12" white teflon wadding/streamer. No launch lugs were added so this one has to be piston or tower launched. Flys like a dream and floats back almost flys back-glidings.

MM 271lp01_MM Pencil in tower_10-21-06.jpg

MM 271Lp08a_Piston Launch Pencil_04-25-09.JPG

MM 271Lp08b_Wow! very High missed it!_04-25-09.JPG

Last edited:
Staying with the Skywriting theme next on my list was to micronize a full size Crayon. As it turned out I couldn't stop a just one I had to do a basic box of 8 with a box and later a box launcher.
Crayon are like the Bic Stick sort of "made" to be Micro-Maxxed being almost perfectly sized for the motor T2+ tubing.
Over all .281" diameter x 3.625" long with 4-.020" clear polycarbonate fins in 3 primary & secondary colors plus black & white. They alway make a great impression at demos and displays. I think making up the crayon lables & box Art Printing was as much fun as making the 8 models. I tried to match the 1/2" x 9" teflon streamers with the model color as much as possible just for fun.
Sorry no pics of the box launcher because I burned out the box bottom on the second launch and haven't rebuilt the thing...It's one of those sitting on the bench projects LOL! But the storage/display box and models are all still in pretty good shape. These was really a super fun Project!

MM 272e25_Crayon 8 group comp. const pic pg_06-01-03.jpg

MM 272e26c-sm_8pk Storage box close_06-05-03.jpg

MM 272b2_White Crayon_2nd Flight_07-05-03.jpg

Staying with the Skywriting theme next on my list was to micronize a full size Crayon. As it turned out I couldn't stop a just one I had to do a basic box of 8 with a box and later a box launcher.
Crayon are like the Bic Stick sort of "made" to be Micro-Maxxed being almost perfectly sized for the motor T2+ tubing.
Over all .281" diameter x 3.625" long with 4-.020" clear polycarbonate fins in 3 primary & secondary colors plus black & white. They alway make a great impression at demos and displays. I think making up the crayon lables & box Art Printing was as much fun as making the 8 models. I tried to match the 1/2" x 9" teflon streamers with the model color as much as possible just for fun.
Sorry no pics of the box launcher because I burned out the box bottom on the second launch and haven't rebuilt the thing...It's one of those sitting on the bench projects LOL! But the storage/display box and models are all still in pretty good shape. These was really a super fun Project!

I'd like to copy this one to the crayon thread.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm really enjoying the John McCoy show! I hope it never ends.

I'd like to copy this one to the crayon thread.

JAL3:
Sure if you want to but I'm pretty sure the Crayon box was already shown in the crayon thread?

Kurland:
We Want to see EVERYONE's Micros... I'm just trying to keep the thread alive awhile LOL.
COME ON folks!!! I know there are lots of Micro Maxer's out there...Lets see them Micros!

What's next? Ah yes another Golden Moldie Oldie downscale, the Centuri ESS Raven:

A good friend of mine mentioned The ESS Raven was one of his favorite models from his youth. It's a very nifty design so I decided to build a couple in T3 scale. with all the cardstock parts on the full size model downscaled to light cardstock and paper. Both turned out great after paint and decals tipping the scales a 9.0grams they fly just fine on MMX-II motor. Mine recoverys on a 5" 1/4mil mylar chute just for fun.

MM 273a1_ESS Raven top&Bottom_06-24-03.jpg

MM 273b1_ESS Raven_ ready for 1st flight_07-05-03.jpg

Micro Bertha:
Back in the 70's when Estes introduced the 13mm Mini motors one of the Mini-models designed for the was the Mini-Bertha.
I thought it might be fun to downscale the older version BT-60 Bertha's wit it's own decal. After much debate about color scheme I chose one of the earlier Yellow/Black and white schemes. by using .032" basswood fins and nosecone I kept the mass down to 7.3g which helps this sort of fat .448" diameter model still be a head snapper off the pad. recovers on a 3/4" x 12" Teflon tape wadding/streamer.

MM 274b1_Micro Bertha 1st flight_07-05-03.jpg

As Burt Rutan as making history with SSO: I couldn't help but wonder if it would be possible to create a micro-maxx flying version of this historic little Rocketship.
Building from the Test flight photos and info obtained on their website I drew up this plan and built my BT-5 1:109.055 scale version of the vehicle. this one was a BEAR to get to fly correctly ended up at 10.8g most of which is nose weight LOL!!! Every time I bring it out to fly people can't believe something that heavy is litterally out of sight almost at ignition. We usually only get to "see" the model as it's fluttering down below at 1/2" x 10" Yellow Teflon wadding/streamer.

MM 275f14_construction Pg_07-14-03.jpg

MM 275f12_Base White Side Close.jpg

Can't speak for others but I tend to build several models of a given type in batches. I think that's one of the Great things about the Hobby of Model Rocketry...There are so many different types of models we can build.
So it is with Scale vehicle projects. I get into "Scale mode" usually once or twice a year...that is the time I can concentrate on the tiny detailing involved. In 2004 this started with The AGM-12b Bullpup. having one of the Estes semi-scale versions in the standard fleet, I decided to do a little research on the missile and found there was very little detailed info available. At the time there were very few accurate drawing or detailed plans but did find a single family photograph and dimensional info in an old military history book. From there I discovered a bunch of neat little facts about the missile it's makeup and function. for instance did you know the aft end of the Bullpup is NOT a cone at all rather two intersecting tapered clamshells housing the motor nozzle. Another rather cool detail is that the rear fins each have a 1/2" (full size) Spin tab bend into the fin plate. Taking as many of the finer details as I felt I could pull off I designed and built this T4 (.448") 1: 26.91 Scale model. The forward fins are still a tad off, I just couldn't get the V-cross section sanded in these tiny pieces, but it's still I think, a fairly nice model.

MM 276d3_448in Bull pup 12b in tower_12-13-03.jpg

Around the same time I was trying to fine a good way to test which micro body diameter would give a decent mix of good flight performance and maximum detailing opportunity for Scale subjects.
Obviously the larger the model the easier it is to detail. but conversely the larger the model the poorer the performance on our little MMX motors.
the Nike Smoke provided a good subject in that while not really loaded with detail it's Nosecone transtion to nike booster motor and folded plate alum fincan construction allowed some Micro detailing challanges. I decided to try minimum motor diameter T2+ (.281"), T3 (.375") and T4 (.448") the fly, recovery a few time to see which held up best, flew well and gave the best trade-off between detail and flight performance. Long story short T3 (.375") body models won hands down. Still giving out-of-sight flights on MMX-II motors with good recovery possiblilty and great detailing options.
Here are all three what do you think?

MM 277a-sm_Nike-Smoke 56,7186_02-21-04.jpg

MM 278a-sm_Nike-Smoke 44,0_02-21-04.jpg

MM 279a-sm_Nike-Smoke 36,8715_02-21-04.jpg

MM 278-b02a-sm_Nike-Smoke T3 In Tower_05-2904.jpg

MM 279-b02a-sm_Nike-Smoke T4 In tower_05-29-04.jpg

Another T4 based Nike boosted sounding rocket was the very nifty looking Nike-Apache. This one is built to 1:36.8715 scale same as the Nike-Tomahawk and Nike-Asp built earlier in my scale collection.
This one while was build just because it was a KEWL looking sounding rocket. while one of my better scale efforts it's only flown at sport launches or been shown in static displays. the 7 color paint job was truely a bear but I really like the looks of this rocket.

Last edited:
Back