Mars Lander - Scratch Built - 3" Nominal Diameter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Launch Lug and Spool Modification

Notched the spool rear centering for the Kevlar shock chord. This will allow routing the Kevlar from the external lugs down into the spool.​
003.JPG 006.JPG001.JPG 002.JPG

Foot Pads

A new pair of shoes..... I cut these on the wood lathe and then drilled (3) 3/8" dia. Forstener bit holes in each pad for the legs / struts.​

001.JPG 002.JPG003.JPG

004.JPG 005.JPG006.JPG

And that last couple of days of snowfall really filled up Mt. Princeton. That likely means some quality launch time ahead.

010.JPG

Last edited:
Gonna be a busy day!

Do you preload your birds (wadding when needed, chutes, motors sans igniters) at home before heading to launch site?
Motors, yes. Chutes, maybe. I reuse a lot of the chutes, they're all in disconnect swivels.​

Last edited:
Hadn't thought about the foot pads, I'm guessing the help out the CP a good bit. Also suspect the cost a bit of altiitude, but it's a SPORT ROCKET.

That bright wood finish could almost justify a steampunk treatment, though I'm not actually into steampunk. Will look good either way. On the next one, I suppose it would be destructive to use wood from a bonsai that's at the same scale as your model. Just to get the grain on the right scale. ;-)

Back