Mailing low power engines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sport rocket motors generally contain highly flammable substances such as black powder or ammonium perchlorate, and are therefore considered to be hazardous materials or explosives for shipment purposes by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). There are extensive regulations concerning shipment in the DOT’s section of the CFR–Title 49, Parts 170-179. These regulations cover packaging, labeling, and the safety testing and classification that is required prior to shipment. These regulations are of great concern to manufacturers and dealers, and there are severe penalties for non-compliance. Basically, it is illegal to send rocket motors by UPS, mail, Federal Express, or any other common carrier–or to carry them onto an airliner–except under exact compliance with these regulations. The reality of these regulations, and the shippers’ company regulations, is that it is virtually impossible for a private individual to legally ship a rocket motor of any size.

https://nar.org/find-a-local-club/section-guidebook/laws-regulations/

Sport rocket motors generally contain highly flammable substances such as black powder or ammonium perchlorate, and are therefore considered to be hazardous materials or explosives for shipment purposes by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). There are extensive regulations concerning shipment in the DOT’s section of the CFR–Title 49, Parts 170-179. These regulations cover packaging, labeling, and the safety testing and classification that is required prior to shipment. These regulations are of great concern to manufacturers and dealers, and there are severe penalties for non-compliance. Basically, it is illegal to send rocket motors by UPS, mail, Federal Express, or any other common carrier–or to carry them onto an airliner–except under exact compliance with these regulations. The reality of these regulations, and the shippers’ company regulations, is that it is virtually impossible for a private individual to legally ship a rocket motor of any size.

https://nar.org/find-a-local-club/section-guidebook/laws-regulations/
And that's why I asked. Thanks for the link as well. So, pretty much impossible for the average folks to do this. Oh well.

And that's why I asked. Thanks for the link as well. So, pretty much impossible for the average folks to do this. Oh well.
It's been almost 10 years but motors can be shipped USPS Ground only, with the proper paperwork. I believe I emailed Estes and they sent me the letter with all the info. Went to the Post office explained everything carefully and clearly and no issues. Will see if I still have the data but not sure I do.

I haven't tried shipping USPS in a very long time but I know that FedEx will ship them ground as long as you declare what they are. I typically take the boxes in open and they handle the rest. They mark the boxes as flammable/no air and they are on their way.

I ship motors to AZ a couple of times a year and never had any issue with my local FedEx store.

I haven't tried shipping USPS in a very long time but I know that FedEx will ship them ground as long as you declare what they are. I typically take the boxes in open and they handle the rest. They mark the boxes as flammable/no air and they are on their way.

I ship motors to AZ a couple of times a year and never had any issue with my local FedEx store.

AP motors, or smaller Estes Motors at FedEx?

There is paper work for motors propellent weight 30grams and below that can be filled out Postal Ground only. I did sell smaller AT motors as my LLC and shipped some. Had a given to my company by AT an EX number, and I acquired forms to fill out and must attach the paperwork to the box. Like you get on the box when you order motors shipped USPS.

But over 30 grams you can't ship USPS.

AP motors, or smaller Estes Motors at FedEx?

There is paper work for motors propellent weight 30grams and below that can be filled out Postal Ground only. I did sell smaller AT motors as my LLC and shipped some. Had a given to my company by AT an EX number, and I acquired forms to fill out and must attach the paperwork to the box. Like you get on the box when you order motors shipped USPS.

But over 30 grams you can't ship USPS.

I don't typically care to deal with the post office by me so I have always paid a little more and used FedEx. Just walk into my local branch with the motors, explain what they are and they guys fill out the paperwork and we're good to go. It's al on the up and up. Never tried to hide anything.

I've seen them slap the ground freight only sticks and explosive stickers on the box and set them aside.

Back