MAC Performance Customer Service

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mao_Zedung

Reaction score
I had some questions for the guys at MAC and upon emailing them I got a pretty snarky response. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with their customer service.

Mike at MAC Performance is one of the Good Guys.

That said, one must keep in mind that the "tone" of any form of written/typed communication can be hard to interpret. And just to be clear, that stands true for either end of the conversation.

Maybe, Mike was not being snarky, but terse because he was in a hurry? Anything is possible.

I know him personally, if just from QCRC launches and Wildman's after launch events. Never had a bad experience with Mike.

I had some questions for the guys at MAC and upon emailing them I got a pretty snarky response. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with their customer service.
What exactly did you write? Oftentimes responses can be misinterpreted.

Mike's been to our club and he was one of the nicest guys I've met there.

I had the opposite experience. My MAC Performace experience was super positive. I had some questions. Mike knows what he's talking about, and was very helpful. Even pointed out that I needed a different CR after my order was placed - and he sent it to me. Also helped me think through how to fasten my kevlar (1/4 tubular, sewn and provided by MAC) into a bulkhead for my Estes Pro II Argent build. In fact both that and two other Kevlar sewn straps were all nicely done.

Some of the ideas in their product selection are very elegant and unique.

I'll be looking to purchase stuff from MAC in the future - I was very pleased with my interaction.

Suggest going back and asking Mike about the exchange.

I'm calling bull. Let's see what was written
Don’t want to get doxxed or doxx myself to Mike, so no can do. I want to be very clear that Mike wasn’t “mean,” rather snarky and condescending. Nothing against him or his kits. Post was just curious whether he was normally like that.

Mike at MAC Performance is one of the Good Guys.

That said, one must keep in mind that the "tone" of any form of written/typed communication can be hard to interpret. And just to be clear, that stands true for either end of the conversation.

Maybe, Mike was not being snarky, but terse because he was in a hurry? Anything is possible.

I know him personally, if just from QCRC launches and Wildman's after launch events. Never had a bad experience with Mike.
For sure. This was one of the only times I’ve interacted with Mike so it was a bit confusing. Nothing against him, I have one of his kits and love it. I could be misinterpreting this all, and I don’t want any of this to deter anyone from buying from Mike.

Mike has always been very responsive to electronic communications and quickly filled my orders, along with being great about doing some custom mods to one of his kits for me. Also great to talk to in person at a URRF launch. In summary, top notch customer service and an all around great guy. Bill S.

Yeah. It felt as though you were being quite condescending to me, though I completely accept it’s easy to misinterpret tone and verbiage over email. Just something to be aware of. I still love your products and what you do for the hobby.
How about just taking this up 1:1 instead of making a federal case out of it Chairman Mao?

Saying that a vendor did something wrong in a public forum, without explaining what it was and thus giving the vendor a chance to reply, is the equivalent of a cheap shot. I understand why you don’t want to be “doxxed”, but raising abstract doubt about the vendor was unfair.
It’s possible that your interpretation of “snarky” was an overreaction to something you didn’t understand.

Saying that a vendor did something wrong in a public forum, without explaining what it was and thus giving the vendor a chance to reply, is the equivalent of a cheap shot. I understand why you don’t want to be “doxxed”, but raising abstract doubt about the vendor was unfair.
It’s possible that your interpretation of “snarky” was an overreaction to something you didn’t understand.
That’s a good point

Mike's been super helpful to me. I'm just starting a 3" Zodiac build, am so pleased with the kit and materials that I'm thinking about starting a build thread (though my skills likely won't do it justice).

How odd. I've put in the occasional order for some years and he's always been very helpful. I've built two of his kits and a third is next in the build pile and I've also gotten some accessories and such. I feel like that's enough history to have a good sampling but not so much that I'm a regular that I might get special treatment or whatever. As noted it's easy to misinterpret email communication especially if somebody's being terse, rushing, etc.

(though my skills likely won't do it justice).
People treat the build threads almost like a competition sometimes. So many threads with somebody doing something overly complicated and then they never finish the rocket, or at least never update the thread. I'd say just go for it.

I've known Mike for many years, and he is a standup guy and my experience is his customer service is one of the best! Mike was kind enough to take on custom work for me as well as making suggestions along the way and was extremely happy with the end product. MAC Performance is one of my many vendors I will always go back to again. I've talked to Mike via text, email and voice and he was always helpful. Just my experience with this vendor. A lot can get mis-interpreted in email so a call would be better.

Mike's been super helpful to me. I'm just starting a 3" Zodiac build, am so pleased with the kit and materials that I'm thinking about starting a build thread (though my skills likely won't do it justice).
Skills won't do what justice? Just do it. It's not a contest - people just like to see rockets get built.

Ha,
Either erase or rename what fantastic customer service you can expect from MIke at MAC, lol..
Because thats what th thread has evolved into.

Teddy

Mike was the most accomodating for mods to an existing rocket. Built an ARCAS with a boat tail, and I have a Radial Flyer and Hyper54.

Haven't had the field to really stretch the legs on the Hyper54, but all my MAC rockets are very nice.

The MAC rockets seem to find a home as high performers per their weight and will fly anything you put in them, and are very well laid out.

Plus the thread was started in the wrong area (should have been in Product & Vendor Reviews).

Back