LiPo battery recommendations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are other batterys that are better than 9V's, and not as particular as LiPo's for handling.... but watch the Volt's per cell to make sure you fall in the acceptable working range of the electronics. *** Also make sure you charge each type correctly. ***

There's NiCad, and NiMH (Older types). Another is Lithium Iron LiFePo4. (Newer)

LiFePo4 batteries (a lithium-ion-derived chemistry) utilize lithium iron phosphate as a cathode material which offers exceptionally long cycle life and greater thermal/chemical stability when compared to a standard Lipo battery. You will need to use a LiFePo compatible battery charger when charging these batteries. NEVER attempt to charge these batteries in standard Lipo mode or with a non-LiFePo compatible charger.

Last edited:
Hi Sandy, I store all my LiPos in metal ammo cans. NOT plastic. I also have a flame proof charge bag. But with that being said, LiPos are pretty safe. Charge them as they should be, don't damage them. When they first came out tried to make one burn. Stabbed with Exacto, tried several times. Did finally get one to ignite. It was not a huge ball of flame, it did not explode. It had a burst at first until pressure bleed off, then burned just as if something on fire. But, I do personally know a club member that had a fire, in his house, due to one. Model plane club, not rocket club.
Just any brand LiPo are good for a rocket. There is not a huge amp draw. When you get to EDF jets, or RC car racing you need a high C rating Battery. I have some 6s 5300mah that are rated at 100c. these run in EDF's that fly on 12s. Turnigy from Hobby King are what I use most for rockets.
That's really overkill for the size of batteries that we use in rocketry. The flameproof charge bags are for the R/C guys that are using 6S 5,000 mAH batteries and quick-charging them at 5C/25A... enough heat will start melting the plastic insulator, shorting them, and causing a high-current dead short. With a 500 mAH battery charging at 1C to 1.5C, that's just not gonna happen.

Hi Cris, know that. But OP sounded a litte apprehensive about using LiPos. So thought he might like to know about the charge bags and how to store them.

This is what I got for my Eggtimer devices:
Hope this saves someone time. Finding these with the right combination of capacity and physical size/weight, in stock (US), for a reasonable price was...much harder that it should have been.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165555620855
I just loaded up with 3 of these, hope they will be ok? Using with eggtimer quantum and eggfinder
I use a larger capacity battery like that when possible with my Eggfinders, but for the Quantums and Protons the 300mah size are ideal...reason....I might need the capacity with the Eggfinder (and Eggfinder TRS), but rarely do I need that much capacity with the Quantum/Proton/Quark.

Back